people of action

markrumsey

I have only recently joined the Urban Planet discussion and have noticed that there is much commentary and seemingly little action. So, I am curios, what are you doing to make GR the city you want to live in? I know that complaining is a serious midwestern affectation but we need to look at how we can change the landscape to meet our desires, or is complaining enough for us?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

we need to look at how we can change the landscape to meet our desires, or is complaining enough for us?

RIGHT! I say we tear down the entire west-side and build a mountain. That would meet my desires. Grand Rapids could use a mountain.

Seriously though, who is complaining? The GR forum seems pretty positive to me usually... and how do you know who is/isn't acting just from reading a message board? I'm pretty sure that a good deal of the people on here are involved with things going on in & around the city.

I agree. There's not a lot of complaining going on. There are also a lot of people who are taking action, who would like to continue to do so discreetly (at least, not be broadcast on the forum). But for those who aren't doing anything and would like to, let them know how they can get involved mark.

I'll admit to being full of hot air. But without me how would you all know about proper comma usage and runon sentences?

At this point in life being a poor college student stuck in Phoenix, I can't do much. But I do little things. I write my congressmen and women about things I'd like to see happen. When Im home I take my friends downtown get them to spend their money, show them a good time, and they come back. I encourage people to move into town, I've even got my sister looking at a condo down there. Sometimes it's little things too. I may not be able to put together a magnificent proposal to change the landscape. But I can thru word of mouth, and action do my part to add to the ever changing vibrance.

I agree with what MJLO said about the little things - they really do add up.

My way of contributing to create the kind of city I like...I spend my money locally, supporting the people who took a chance and opened a business in Grand Rapids, I go to cultural events at UICA, Wealthy Theatre and art galleries around town because I want these kinds of events/venues thrive and continue. I pay Grand Rapids property taxes. I own a home in Grand Rapids and would/do encourage others to not buy in the 'burbs, but in town.

Each one of us who likes living here is an ambassador for GR - even though we're supposed to "keep it a secret." Our collective actions, however seemingly small or large, add up. We're continuously improving what Grand Rapids is and what it can be, just by talking about it and being part of the community.

I sent mail to Heartwell and once in awhile I say how good of a job he's doing; encouragement goes a long way. Oh and I hunted down all the local politicos and sent mail about "light rail," most just got pissed because I wasn't a constituent and responded with "What's Light rail? I would have to look more into this issue to comment. Thank you, have a nice day."

I do buy things when I'm downtown.

There is an aspect to GR that Im not fond of that I've taken upon myself to change. Its nothing Project X sized, and it may just flop.

No guts, no glory I suppose.

Wow! That's weird Urbanist. There are a couple of us with the same kind of "mission". Don't know if it will fly, but if it does, it's going to be pretty sweet!! And there is no way we can say it on here, yet.

Thanks, gvsusean!

I show and tell more over the next few months ;)

Its somthing I've wanted to do since high school (10 years ago already! :shok: )

I really want to know what both you and GRDad are talking about. I know they're separate things and neither of you really said anything... but you've both sparked my intrest a little.

Not to actually get serious with this thread... :rolleyes: .... but cities, townships and counties are always looking for citizen members to serve on zoning boards, planning commissions, design review boards, etc. If enough UPers get involved, then the things we discuss here can be put into action in a very real way.

Applications usually are available online at the respective web sites. Whether you live in a small township or the center of downtown Grand Rapids, you can volunteer to get involved in your local community.

You don't necessarily have to be a big-money developer or contractor to make things happen. You can influence policy and pave the way for the kind of urban community you believe in by getting involved.

In response to the original post by markrumsey, I would suggest that commitment and the ability to "show up" when it is needed are also virtues that the midwest has an affection for.

Hence, after starting this thread, I have to ask the question: where is markrumsey? It might be a good time to "show up" and post a response to any of the remarks brought forth by others.

Would it be correct to say that the original post was a "complaint" with no action? Just a thought.

What I value about this board is getting the latest news and then some diversity of thought, and at times, good dialogue. However, I would doubt there is a single issue that this collective group could get behind. Nor do I see it as a primary function of a discussion forum about Metro Grand Rapids.

I can speak to several things I'm involved in personally that I think are making a difference in our urban neighborhoods better. I would not doubt that there are people on this board that would have fundamental disagreements with these activities and the potential outcomes because they are probably contrary to how they think urban GR should develop. By nature, I think development is controversial.

So, I don't want to just say, "Go do your own thing, just get involved in your own way!" and loose the potential for group organizing for change. But, I would doubt that this forum could, or would desire, to pull together for action. Once you take a stand, people will disengage from the discussion or feel alienated. However, I think there are potentials for smaller, sub-groups of like-minded people to work for change in the area that they are patient about. This forum may serve as a preliminary gathering place.

Archived