people of action

markrumsey

In response to the original post by markrumsey, I would suggest that commitment and the ability to "show up" when it is needed are also virtues that the midwest has an affection for.

Hence, after starting this thread, I have to ask the question: where is markrumsey? It might be a good time to "show up" and post a response to any of the remarks brought forth by others.

Would it be correct to say that the original post was a "complaint" with no action? Just a thought.

This thread is not the first time this topic has been brought up, nor will it be the last.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not to actually get serious with this thread... :rolleyes: .... but cities, townships and counties are always looking for citizen members to serve on zoning boards, planning commissions, design review boards, etc. If enough UPers get involved, then the things we discuss here can be put into action in a very real way.

Applications usually are available online at the respective web sites. Whether you live in a small township or the center of downtown Grand Rapids, you can volunteer to get involved in your local community.

You don't necessarily have to be a big-money developer or contractor to make things happen. You can influence policy and pave the way for the kind of urban community you believe in by getting involved.

Good points allbusiness. Most planning and development projects and proposals give you lots of chances to speak up. If you want to voice your opinion about your community, go to some of the hearings and let 'em have it! Most projects like master plans have several open houses, charettes, visioning sessions, focus groups, etc etc. You would be surprised how easy it is to influence these documents. If you don't like a project, then show up at the planning commission meetings and tell them how you feel. Attending public hearings will have much more of an impact that complaining about it on UP. (But feel free to do that too :D )

In addition to the ideas that allbusiness mentioned, I think that an essential element for a safe and successful community is active communication between neighbors and neighborhoods. People should get active in their neighborhood associations and take pride in the property around their own. Many associations have events such as neighborhood clean up, neighborhood watch, garage sales, along with general meetings. Each of these promotes communication between neighbors, get people out of their houses, and deters crime, and establishes a sense of community within the neighborhood.

Too often people rely on the city, the police, and everyone else instead of taking responsibility for their property and their neighborhood. I know that the within a week of when I move in, I will be signing up to join my neighborhood association.

This thread is not the first time this topic has been brought up, nor will it be the last.

GRGridGirl - are you saying that people are often asking where I am? It is always good to keep people guessing, I guess?

He's everywhere. :ph34r:

i am also here

My Webpage

So, I asked the question, and I am sure it has been asked before. One of the biggest problems that I see (not on this forum but in general in GR) is lack of knowledge of what is happening in our city and how to affect it. People need information! I propose quarterly community forums. We get some people that are knowledgeable on an issue (such as some of you folks) get a place (such as a Polish hall) and set a date and get the community to come out. You do a little song and dance about the issues, propose some ideas then let people socialize and talk it over.

My guess would be that just some of the topics brought up at this website have has lots of impact on various things. There are a LOT of people that read this forum and either post or don't post. Some are very much knowledgeable and interested in development related issues and some are just plain curious. I like to think that it has had an impact in that people can see that others care about their city and are trying to make it an even better place. Hopefully, more people that read the stuff here will take it to the next level and do something positive themselves. :)

One of the biggest problems that I see (not on this forum but in general in GR) is lack of knowledge of what is happening in our city and how to affect it. People need information!

This is my major concern with the news outlets. They should be reporting to us all of the little details that come out of all the city meetings. I love reading the Advance newspaper. The advance can tell me the most seemingly mundane, yet important details about my community. I've taken to reading meeting minutes my township posts online to get even more good information.

I could care less about some of the news stories they pick up on the wire, or the news stories they fabricate and sensationalize, I want to know the detail about the people who are making the choices that affect my community.

This is my major concern with the news outlets. They should be reporting to us all of the little details that come out of all the city meetings. I love reading the Advance newspaper. The advance can tell me the most seemingly mundane, yet important details about my community. I've taken to reading meeting minutes my township posts online to get even more good information.

I could care less about some of the news stories they pick up on the wire, or the news stories they fabricate and sensationalize, I want to know the detail about the people who are making the choices that affect my community.

I don't get the Advance as they choose not to serve the SE side of GR. It would be great to have more info on what is actually happening in the area, seems like something that the local media would be interested in.

Not to actually get serious with this thread... :rolleyes: .... but cities, townships and counties are always looking for citizen members to serve on zoning boards, planning commissions, design review boards, etc. If enough UPers get involved, then the things we discuss here can be put into action in a very real way.

Applications usually are available online at the respective web sites. Whether you live in a small township or the center of downtown Grand Rapids, you can volunteer to get involved in your local community.

You don't necessarily have to be a big-money developer or contractor to make things happen. You can influence policy and pave the way for the kind of urban community you believe in by getting involved.

I cannot reiterate this more strongly. Land use issues extend far beyond the confines of the downtown core. Suburban sprawl is being fought on the perimeter (not at the center) of the metro area.

As an area planning official, I can also say with confidence that these boards are typically made up of people in their 50s at the youngest - who do not always accurately reflect the demographics of their constituents. It would be GREAT to see more younger people get involved in these positions - as it would help turn the "ship" more quickly back from the legacy of the good-old-boy clubs of rural governance of days gone by... (to those who watch for this kind of thing: sorry about the run-on sentence).

Go attend a planning commission meeting some time! Planning officials like me are often starved for adequate input from the community and dream of having other voices raised that underscore the responsible visions we relatively younger planners are trying to promote.

I don't get the Advance as they choose not to serve the SE side of GR. It would be great to have more info on what is actually happening in the area, seems like something that the local media would be interested in.

If you have some writing ability, the Advance (or any local paper) may be looking for someone willing to sit through a local township board meeting, planning commission or zoning board meeting on a regular basis and write up the story. They usually pay these "stringers" a small amount of money -- like $25 or $35 for an evening's work. Wouldn't hurt to ask!

Archived