What do you live in?

What do you live in?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. What do you live in?

• A single family home (own)
    • An apartment, condo, co-op... (own)
    • An apartment, multi-family home (rent)
    • A single family home (rent)
    • A dorm
    • Your car
    • A cardboard box

• 4 weeks later...

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Selling a very nice little townhome style condo and buying a historic SFH.

I am psyched as all hell, but kind of bummed that I am going to lose a ton of walkability.

I do however gain over 2000SF and a lawn among other things. I will always love and miss this condo however.

Here is what I have to look forward to however. damn near my dream house

MyHouse.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm surprised there are so many here who live in single family homes!

My fiancee bought a warehouse loft in our early twenties, sold it in our mid twenties, and now in our late twenties, we rent the first floor of a duplex.

I'm surprised there are so many here who live in single family homes!

Interesting isn't it? Most of us live in single-family homes yet actively participate on a forum for the better of the urban environment. :) I will defend myself a little in saying that my wife feels a huge need to have a lawn and space between the next house. It wouldn't bother me one bit to move into a condo with no yard, garage, etc. In fact, I prefer it having experienced that lifestyle in Chicago. Perhaps later in life we can pursue my dream of living in a space not so dependent on personal transportation. :blush:

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting isn't it? Most of us live in single-family homes yet actively participate on a forum for the better of the urban environment. :) I will defend myself a little in saying that my wife feels a huge need to have a lawn and space between the next house. It wouldn't bother me one bit to move into a condo with no yard, garage, etc. In fact, I prefer it having experienced that lifestyle in Chicago. Perhaps later in life we can pursue my dream of living in a space not so dependent on personal transportation. :blush:

I can say the same for me. but add this.

most of America is still very un-urban. its based around the suburbs and the whole white picket fence. for example here in Greater hartford, there is almost no ability for urban living if you plan on owning. you can do the urban living if you rent, but there is just a fledgling urban community here. I think in its essence this is why so many of us contribute. If Hartford had say 1000 more housing units downtown, my wife might consider buying downtown. but its a frontier right now. heck, right now I would not buy downtown because i have almost no options, and I would not rent. also there is not really a low/mid rise part of the city that is not 95% section 8. some day though...

so in order to own I go to an inner suburb. we looked in the small part of the city thats nice, safe, walkability and all that, but its such a limited market, and we would have had the exact same thing as I got, but smaller, just as long as a commute, no yard, crazy taxes, and Id still need to drive just as much as I do now. so I figured a seven mile commute for me and a 14 mile commute for the wife was as good as we could get given the circumstances. but maybe someday, hopefully before we get old, we will have the opportunity to buy a sweet condo with a view in the heart of some downtown.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Archived