"Pyongyang 105"... the Ryugyong Hotel

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

this is my first post ever on this website! i joined when it came up on a search for an article i just read: "science, pseudo-science, and architecture", which ppl discussed a little bit here. (article is kind of inflamatory anti-modernism).

anyway, i discovered this pyongyang building a couple months ago when i did some searches for "largest buildings in the world". (there are some other interesting bldgs along these lines in that list as well, such as this absurdly decadent palace in romania, i think also a result of stalinist communism).

for a long time i've found north korea and their leader fascinating. this building simply adds to the intrigue for me. its not just communism its like a nation-cult. i wonder what the discussion behind it really was and how they really intended to occupy the building. maybe it would be like a national honeymoon compound. i dont know about n. korea itself, but i think there are mass weddings conducted by koreans in america.

but what's the deal with revolving restaurants? i think there is another skyscraper in asia with multiple revolving restaraunts.

• 3 weeks later...

The building looks dangerous and should be destroyed.

I actually think that the building has a modern gothic look to it. It actually is quite striking and interesting from that perspective.

I didn't know that North Korea had a "Ministry of Truth" although it does not surprise me and brings up a lot of memories of 1984. If they are intent on making people believe that the building does not exist, why not destroy the building? LOL

Setting aside the pure failure that the building has become, and in my opinion represents this humanly oppressive culture they are, the architectural form is actually quite striking.

I'm not saying the asthetics are there, but the style of the building has a powerful statement. I actually like the triangular form and the way it has a pyramidal rise to the top, with the first pinnacles around floors 25-30 it appears, and then the top which could be a magnificent crown or spire.

Imagine this building in a modern glass and steel design, it would be most impressive!

A couple of German companies have been soliciting Demolition contractors around the world to give them budget estimates for the demolition of the structure. A couple of hotel chains are in talks with the North Korean Government to build another hotel on site. Evidently, it is a prime spot and there are other hotels nearby

I don't see the point of building another hotel. North korea barely gets enough visitors for it's current hotels as it is. If they did finish that one, it would have 3,000 rooms. That alone is more than the amount of visitors the country receives in one year.

given recent events, there could be a lot more political flow into the country... so maybe they could use to build another hotel. Not one this big, though.

I think one of two things need to happen before anybody would want to visit North Korea.

1. The commy dictator running NK would have to be thrown out of power and the nation's government changed over to a more acceptable from of government.

or

2. The commy dictator running NK would have to be thrown out of power and NK would be reunided with South Korea with South Korea calling the shots.

What a singularly ugly and depressing building...it probably fits the national personality quite well. It reminds me of the skeletal remains of a city after a nuclear war. Perhaps this foreshadows the future of Pyongyang and maybe other cities as well.

I think one of two things need to happen before anybody would want to visit North Korea.

1. The commy dictator running NK would have to be thrown out of power and the nation's government changed over to a more acceptable from of government.

or

2. The commy dictator running NK would have to be thrown out of power and NK would be reunided with South Korea with South Korea calling the shots.

well, people DO want to visit NK (ie: me). They have tours that go through Pyongyang, lead throughout North Korea, to the DMZ and back. Thing is, they are controlled... so a lot of the people you see out doing stuff, ridding the subway, shopping, whatever, are fake. I think most people going into those things know what's going on though. Besides those tours, South Koreans are able to go to a couple resorts up there as well. That's not enough to help out their economy though, that's for sure. Another thing is, Americans are not allowed in North korea, normally. It has nothing to do with it being communist either, there are tons of communist countries that let Americans in (China, Vietnam). I'm sure people are scared to go there, but also... most people don't really want to go there. I know a lot of people who don't even want to visit SOUTH Korea, sadly. There is a lot of great stuff in both countries... architecture, historical stuff, landscrapes, food. If the North Korean government wasn't so secretive and nuts, I think at least that would make people want to visit a little bit more.

Also... for now, a united Korea is a terrible idea. Think of how good the South's economy has become over the last 10-20 years... and how bad it would fall if they suddenly had to provide the rest of the peninsula with infrustructure AND suddenly have 20 million more poor people to deal with.

The best thing to do is for NK to follow China's path, and maybe in 15-20 years we can see a United Korea.

I think there is supposed to be a National Geographic special on this week perhaps, with Lisa Ling. Sounds like she "snuck" into North Korea under the guise of some sort of medical team. The NK officials had no idea who she was. They'll probably put a contract out on her after that show airs.... :blink:

Anyway, I kinda like that hotel!! Not sure why, it looks depressing and ugly, but still something about it is kinda cool. Maybe its uniques shape. Seems fairly impractical though.

Archived