Let's hear it for our REAL governor, Glenn McConnell

krazeeboi

I don't understand why it can't go at *gasp* the State Museum, where there is already a Confederate Relic Room. Build a separate wing for the Hunley or something like that, but I do not think this relic deserves its own museum or campus under the guise of a "historic preservation campus."

I say relocate the whole thing to Myrtle Beach, removing it from the hands of all the entrenched "rake-off" artists and assorted swindlers. Let Lee Spence (who really discovered it) be the curator. Then millions of gawking tourists can pay big money to see it. Maybe combined with a Dolly Parton themed hotel & world's largest fried chicken buffet.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't understand why it can't go at *gasp* the State Museum, where there is already a Confederate Relic Room. Build a separate wing for the Hunley or something like that, but I do not think this relic deserves its own museum or campus under the guise of a "historic preservation campus."

I don't think that would be the proper location for the sub. The Hunley's birth and death both occurred in Chas, so it would make sense to have the sub located in the city it has a history with. However, I do agree that McConnell has been doing many things with this project "under the table", and the budget for this museum is outrageous. The replica Chickenwing referred to is at the front of the Chas City Museum. Why not add a wing to the museum to encompass the sub, thereby increasing touristic interest in the museum itself? I personally think the mayor of the north city (Summey) and McConnell have some secret agreements which they will not disclose.

Remember, Summey offered the most money for the proposed Hunley museum ($14 million, in fact), but Mt. P and Chas offered less amounts of money. Summey wants the Hunley to be the centerpiece of part of the Noisette project...yet money could be saved and the destination for the sub would be far more logical if the sub were to be located downtown in the existing city museum. There is so much information about this project that doesn't make sense, fiscally and legislatively.

You're right, CN. And what about Patriot's Point? Isn't that the maritime museum? PERFECT spot. I just don't think the Hunley, even as important an artifact as it is, warrants its own facility. And as has been said, I don't think it's a coincidence that McConnell's Civil War memorabilia shop is also located in North Charleston.

You're right, CN. And what about Patriot's Point? Isn't that the maritime museum? PERFECT spot. I just don't think the Hunley, even as important an artifact as it is, warrants its own facility. And as has been said, I don't think it's a coincidence that McConnell's Civil War memorabilia shop is also located in North Charleston.

Very good point...Patriot's Point was another logical location for the sub, and it would give the maritime museum significantly more exposure. McConnell's shop probably gets some tax breaks from the city, considering how Summey's head is so far up McConnell's rear-end with the museum deal.

It seems that the primary purpose of this project for McConnell is to make the sub itself a destination attraction. While the rationale for it is explainable, the idea is far too outlandish to work. Yes, the sub is an important part of our state's history, even our national history, but I don't think it will be a tourism mecca where millions of people will flock to see it. If hard-core Confederate fans like McConnell understood that simple fact, funding would be less, but still more than adequate for preserving and displaying the Hunley. Currently, I'm afraid the sub museum could financially weaken the state where all this money is thrown at it for preservation and museum construction and it doesn't make a great amount of money, necessitating the state to provide it with more.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived