Small downtown retail

Interesting posts today. Maybe uptown Charlotte and the South End will develop like the Wall Street area in lower Manhattan and SoHo, just a short walk away. Wall Street has very limited retail- mainly just service-oriented businesses and a few national chains, along with a discount department store- but SoHo has become a destination for "hip" stores and is a major shopping destination. Just like offices tend to cluster together, so could stores; each in their own areas, and each close by, but not mixed together.

I'd LOVE to have a full-line upscale department store uptown, along with great mall-type chains, but if that doesn't happen, having stuff in the South End is better than nothing and is at least somewhat urban.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting posts today. Maybe uptown Charlotte and the South End will develop like the Wall Street area in lower Manhattan and SoHo, just a short walk away. Wall Street has very limited retail- mainly just service-oriented businesses and a few national chains, along with a discount department store- but SoHo has become a destination for "hip" stores and is a major shopping destination. Just like offices tend to cluster together, so could stores; each in their own areas, and each close by, but not mixed together.

I'd LOVE to have a full-line upscale department store uptown, along with great mall-type chains, but if that doesn't happen, having stuff in the South End is better than nothing and is at least somewhat urban.

Agreed. SouthEnd is close enough to walk, but there is the Trolley option also -- plus the city is already considering it part of uptown in a loose way -- they combined the Center City Partners with the SouthEnd group that did the same thing which essentially recognizes that these two areas are somehow inter-connected.

You're absolutely right, C_n. I was referring more to the inner-loop, but that Camden area is really gonna continue to develop into more of an (alternative/hip/ecclectic) retail area. I was just in Black Sheep a couple of weeks ago and bought a painting, of all things! I love the way a lot of the shops there incorporate work by local artists.

You're absolutely right, C_n. I was referring more to the inner-loop, but that Camden area is really gonna continue to develop into more of an (alternative/hip/ecclectic) retail area. I was just in Black Sheep a couple of weeks ago and bought a painting, of all things! I love the way a lot of the shops there incorporate work by local artists.

they are selling paintings now? GREAT! Come out to the Renegade opening Saturday -- it should be a fun party and a great kick-off to more choices in Camden. And who doesn't wanna see break-dancers (one of them is Madonnas break dancer for her tours if that matters to anyone!)

^ dieter, the owner of black sheep is a super great guy. also in the camden row area on summit dr. are some other cool business'. one of them is called PLY - it's all bent plywood furniture. since i have a serious danish modern bug... this place satisfies. i noticed on the same street - the N.C. whitewater assoc. is hq'ed there. also, see joie lassiter gallery has relocated there... and i'll bite my tongue on my opinion of that.

EDIT: this probably belongs on the camden/southend thread. as for uptown small business i agree with dubones earlier assessment. the days of small boutiques uptown are most likely fini.

Exactly!! How is it that a city this size doesn't have a crepe joint? Columbia, Wilmington, Charleston, Winston-Salem: all have creperies. Anybody want to go into a easy cash biz?

now we're talking. i'm there man... i can see it now... "MC5", the hottest crepery on the eastern seaboard.

ha.ha.

^Remember Bijoux? No? That's why.

In all fairness I wasn't a big fan of their food, I've only been their once, and it was for lunch. But the idea of a lunch menu was oysters on the half shell, a smoked turkey and avacado on a crossiant with french fries. Not exactly my idea of high class French food in my opinion.

In all fairness I wasn't a big fan of their food, I've only been their once, and it was for lunch. But the idea of a lunch menu was oysters on the half shell, a smoked turkey and avacado on a crossiant with french fries. Not exactly my idea of high class French food in my opinion.

I never went there. In general I just heard their food was bad and the service wasn't better.

I did eat there and it was all the things said above and less. I think they dumbed-down the lunch menu in an attempt to appeal to a broader market; maybe the dinner menu was a little more properly French, I don't really know. I could be in the minority here (then again, maybe not), but Francly, I'm not a fan of French food, and I expect the majority of people out there really aren't either. I've never once heard anyone say, "Man, I am just Jonesin' for some Crepes Suzette and escargot..." I think it's simply a matter of Mexican, Italian, Indian, Asian, etc being far more popular. Or, maybe I just need to start hanging with classier people...

MZT, that's not the same thing as The Roasting Company, is it? Maybe I'm remembering the name incorrectly, but when I worked in SouthPark, I was hooked on TRC. Their rice and veggie plates were like a needle in my arm that I just couldn't pull out. Damn, now you've got me wanting that...

Speaking of the above....I wonder how Patou is doing in it's new location? Haven't visited yet??

That was brought up a while ago in another thread. I want to say dubone or atlrvr's wife went there and said it was empty and then someone else said they didn't think they were doing to well. Maybe I'm making stuff up, but I'm pretty sure that's what I read.

Speaking of the above....I wonder how Patou is doing in it's new location? Haven't visited yet??

I think they have struggled, but are pulling through. They have added some happy hour incentives like free apps, and drink specials, last night they have live music, and the weather has gotten the patio packed almost daily.

I hope Patou is able to stay afloat in that location. The vacancy after Red Star went under made that corner very dead with Maggies Moos gone and Palazzo also gone. I hope other businesses fill those storefronts soon. The rent must be ridiculous but right now it just looks bad and the dead Epicurean site completes it to make that block an eyesore in an otherwise thriving neighborhood.

Saks could still happen. An Uptown Belk could too.

Archived