Inclusive vs. Exclusive Sports Teams?

Seems like some teams are a lot more inlcusive when it comes to naming a team in the Carolinas. I know it mainly has to do with who spreads the $ around, but it makes you wonder why Raleigh can call the Hurricanes "Carolina" but Charlotte will only call the Bobcats "Charlotte." Also, what about the Panthers? There are plenty of die hard Panther fans in Raleigh, but the Hurricanes seemed to be totally ignored in the Charlotte area until they started winning.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems like some teams are a lot more inlcusive when it comes to naming a team in the Carolinas. I know it mainly has to do with who spreads the $ around, but it makes you wonder why Raleigh can call the Hurricanes "Carolina" but Charlotte will only call the Bobcats "Charlotte." Also, what about the Panthers? There are plenty of die hard Panther fans in Raleigh, but the Hurricanes seemed to be totally ignored in the Charlotte area until they started winning.

It's pretty self-explanatory. There's tons more NFL fans than NHL fans. :thumbsup: As far as the Bobcats arena goes, Charlotteans paid for that arena, unlike the one in Raleigh. So we should have at least one team with the name Charlotte in it, and the free advertising that comes with it.

I think a lot of it has to do with media markets.....we don't get local broadcast of Hurricane games, but they get Panther's games as their default game on Sundays.

As far as the Bobcats, that was part of the city's negotiation with the league....it had to have Charlotte in the name.

I prefer city names....it is much more marketable for the city. Ask casual fans of a sport where the Golden State Warriors, Texas Rangers, California Angels (old), New England Patriots, or Carolina Hurricanes play, and I would bet that most wouldn't know with certainty.

Also, as Charlotte, Raleigh and the Carolinas in general are rapidly growing, I think that it will be conceivable that at some point within the next 20 years that their will be two teams of the same league within N and S Carolina.

The Panthers are called Carolina because Jerry Richardson wanted South Carolinians to embrace the team as well those in NC. Since there's no NFL franchise south of the border, and because CLT sits on the border, it made sense to cross-sell the team to both markets.

I would personally prefer it the Carolina Panthers were the Charlotte Panthers.

I would prefer it be the Charlotte Panthers for a number of reasons, but one of the main ones happens whenever i hear announcers on TV say things like: "its a beautiful day here in Carolina..." or "the Carolina skyline can be seen just over the stadium..."

I don't live in Carolina, I live in Charlotte.

I would prefer it be the Charlotte Panthers for a number of reasons, but one of the main ones happens whenever i hear announcers on TV say things like: "its a beautiful day here in Carolina..." or "the Carolina skyline can be seen just over the stadium..."

I don't live in Carolina, I live in Charlotte.

I haven't heard that yet, and I think that Charlotte gets a lot of press at home games. There is always negative press, look at the Houston Texans, Jacksonville Jaguars, and Charlotte Bobcats :silly:

I think calling the Panthers Carolina, in a way, is a good thing. Reason being, somebody might say, well where in "Carolina" are the Panthers? The only city most people in this country will think of Charlotte before Columbia, Charleston, Raleigh, or Greensboro. This leaves Charlotte as the "capital" of "Carolina."

I'm still a little peeved the two states split apart. ;)

It all has to do with marketing, which comes down to $$$.

"Carolina Panthers" is easily understood, due to Charlotte's geographical location, but I'm lost on "Carolina Hurricanes." Understandably, "Carolina" can refer to the Carolinas as an entire region or each state separately, but it can be the source of confusion.

And actually, people thinking of Charlotte before other Carolina cities is debatable, with Charleston and Myrtle Beach being the obvious contenders here.

How is that possible?

Well, "Carolina" split up a few hundred years ago and formed two states, one to the north which was named for that geographic location, and the other to the south was aptly named for its location as well. Therefore no one can just live in "Carolina" any longer. See the confusion this leads to? Mr. Richardson, you have set us back over 200 years!

Lest anyone forget, Jerry Richardson went to Fayetteville high school, but attended college at Wofford in SC. (now you know why the Panthers used to practice there), and made his fortune by building the largest food distribution company in SC, Spartan Foods. To sum it up, the Carolina Panthers was created by a SC Businessman. I suspect the name is not going to change anytime soon.

The Carolina Hurricane's named as such because their venue was paid for by the State of NC (for the most part) because it is also used by one of the State Universities there. The move was controversial and I don't believe the State politically could have done this if the team had been called the Raleigh Hurricanes.

It only makes sense that the panthers use "Carolina". For all intents and purposes the SC border is meaningless sprawlwise. Fort Mill, Rock Hill etc are part of Charlotte and people who happen to live across the state line are just as committed Panther fans and deserve to be included.

It only makes sense that the panthers use "Carolina". For all intents and purposes the SC border is meaningless sprawlwise. Fort Mill, Rock Hill etc are part of Charlotte and people who happen to live across the state line are just as committed Panther fans and deserve to be included.

I don't disagree at all, just a perference that the team be named for the city where it is actually located. Not that it is a big deal and I go to every game I can. No one hates them for it -- it would just give Charlotte better and proper recognition. I'm sure all pro teams have little nearby towns in their areas and many are located near state borders (St. Louis, Jacksonville) and draw fans from large areas. Other than the New England Patriots and the Tennessee Titans, everyone else but us is named for their city.

I don't disagree at all, just a perference that the team be named for the city where it is actually located. Not that it is a big deal and I go to every game I can. No one hates them for it -- it would just give Charlotte better and proper recognition. I'm sure all pro teams have little nearby towns in their areas and many are located near state borders (St. Louis, Jacksonville) and draw fans from large areas. Other than the New England Patriots and the Tennessee Titans, everyone else but us is named for their city.

A lot of the DC teams didn't play or practice in DC. But, with the MCI Verizon Center, basketball and hockey are back in the city they're named for. They're building a new baseball stadium in DC on the Anacostia River. Washington Redskins practice in Virginia and play in Maryland. So - they're named for a city, but just not the city they now play in (though, their original stadium was in DC years and years ago). They could have gone with a regional identifier there, since they're considered the home team for DC, Southern/Eastern Maryland, Virginia and parts of West Virginia.

Over on the eastern shore up there - you find minor league teams (as well as other things) named Delmarva (as in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia).

Other than the New England Patriots and the Tennessee Titans, everyone else but us is named for their city.

Don't forget Arizona and Minnesota. And that's just the NFL. There are teams in every league that have state or region names.

I'm so bored I made a list:

Feel free to correct me if I missed any

NFL:

Arizona Cardinals

Carolina Panthers

Minnesota Vikings

New England Patriots

Tennessee Titans

MLB:

Arizona Diamondbacks

Colorado Rockies

Florida Marlins

Minnesota Twins

Texas Rangers

NBA:

Golden State Warriors

Indiana Pacers

Minnesota Timberwolves

New Jersey Nets

Utah Jazz

NHL:

Carolina Hurricanes

Colorado Avalanche

Florida Panthers

Minnesota Wild

New Jersey Devils

I think Minnesota has the most to complain about.

Don't forget Arizona and Minnesota. And that's just the NFL. There are teams in every league that have state or region names.

I'm so bored I made a list:

Feel free to correct me if I missed any

NFL:

Arizona Cardinals

Carolina Panthers

Minnesota Vikings

New England Patriots

Tennessee Titans

MLB:

Arizona Diamondbacks

Colorado Rockies

Florida Marlins

Minnesota Twins

Texas Rangers

NBA:

Golden State Warriors

Indiana Pacers

Minnesota Timberwolves

New Jersey Nets

NHL:

Carolina Hurricanes

Colorado Avalanche

Florida Panthers

Minnesota Wild

New Jersey Devils

Utah Jazz

I think Minnesota has the most to complain about.

:w00t: I just watch football -- what are these other sports? Actually, I am going to the hockey game Monday in Raleigh, but really only care about football!

The Carolina Hurricane's named as such because their venue was paid for by the State of NC (for the most part) because it is also used by one of the State Universities there. The move was controversial and I don't believe the State politically could have done this if the team had been called the Raleigh Hurricanes.

Not sure that is completely correct. The RBC center was paid with NCSU funds ($50M) a large amount collected over the years mostly from Alumni including Wendell Murphy who put in more than $10M. Peter Karmonos, owner of the hurricanes put in $40M, and the hotels and meal tax put in the rest. I believe the total cost in 1997 was around $180M. Now, I may not have that all correct and please correct me with facts if that is not true, but I am not sure it could be said it was paid with State funds.

They chose the name Carolina since there is not a team between Atlanta and Washington and does cover more ground.

Again, please correct me if I am wrong.

THIS IS A LETTER A FRIEND OF MINE SENT TO THE RBC CENTER IN RALEIGH AND TO THE RALEIGH AND CHARLOTTE PAPERS...good reason not to have regional names...

---------

I was one of the patrons at last nights Raleigh vs. Sabres game. I've never been to an NHL game, much less a playoff game, and a group of us thought it would be "fun" to travel to Raleigh to see one. Fun it definitely wasn't.

I have read your policies on your website that outline acceptable and unacceptable conduct, rules for cheering, and all other applicable rules. If these were to be suspended or modified last night, which they apparantly were since you could not cheer anywhere except in your seats, don't you think informing fans BEFORE entering the venue would have been appropriate -- maybe flyers when they walked in, something?

What you did do was harrass fans in the hallways who where cheering for their teams. I have photos on my phone of a "Capital City Police" officer shoving a 15 year old kid against the wall for yelling "Sabres" once. We watched this happen all night. One of my friends was actually followed into the bathroom and when he yelled a cheer, not sure what but nothing foul, he was told he would be arrested next time he shouted. What exactly can you arrest someone for when they are cheering and not at anyone or for any other reason than supporting their team?

I go to plenty of Bobcats games and Panther games in Charlotte and have never seen police and security act like they did last night. I understand that you had a desire to make sure no fights broke out like we have heard you had Saturday, but guess what, we were not there Saturday and did not deserve the treatment we got. Security and Police seemed to enjoy pushing fans around -- all fans for both teams -- and were actually creating the problem they were claiming to try and prevent. Your security manager, Larry Perkins, seemed to jump right in. I didn't realize rolling your eyes and dismissing complaints with "you can leave if you want to" were part of a management strategy that an intelligent person would employ. It seemed to be directed with a sneer and intimidation that he enjoyed. Congrats! I am from North Carolina and I had to apologize all night to others that were here for the first time.

Furthermore, and this part is unbelievable, the officer that I saw shove the kid pulled our bus over BEFORE we entered your parking lot, told everyone on board they could no longer cheer or play music while entering the parking lot and that "one of us would likely be arrested later...". She ranted for about 5 minutes about "people from Buffalo" about "people getting their cars kicked and noses broken Saturday" and that "you people won't get a chance at that tonight". You people? As I stated earlier, NONE of us on board were there Saturday and had nothing to do with those problems. More amazingly, once we were in our seats, that SAME officer showed up and stood staring at us through the first period, part of the time playing with her handcuffs. Your security then began to surround our section, full of Buffalo fans, with red shirt security folks. All of this for a group that had done absolutely nothing and didn't do anything other than cheer our team. I did complain to the usher for our section and "Eric" with security came and talked with me -- I thank him for being, along with the usher, one of the only people that treated our group with any respect -- he was professional, stated his side and your perspective, and said he would move the multiple security folks from around us if we agreed to not cause any trouble, which we never did. We had never intended to cause trouble (our group of 25 ranged in age from 20 to 60 and was mixed guys and girls and four gay guys <-- not exactly a typically violent crowd). What we did or didn't do didn't matter -- we were harassed before we entered the venue, then continuously through the entire game.

There is no excuse for police and security intimidation. There especially is no excuse for it to continue when it becomes obvious that the target isn't doing anything. Your management seemed to be a large part of the problem. The PR for the NHL and anyone that attended this game will definitely not sell anyone on Raleigh, and I wish you would drop "Carolina" from your name -- I was embarrassed because of that last night. I can't remember hearing so many people, not just our crowd but tons of people that I heard in the parking lot and in lines, say "welcome to the South" or "I guess they are as backwards as we see in movies...". Those aren't precise quotes, but they are real close.

There is a fine line between crowd control and crowd intimidation -- the latter creates problems and lots of tension. Congratulations, you did just that.

The state contributed approximately $18 million out of about $158 million for the facility's construction.

I believe that is correct--> link.

I think in the Panther's case, it makes a lot of sense with the NFL being a more regional draw (with only 8 homes games per year). For the Hurricanes, it makes some sense, as Raleigh is really only part of the draw from the Triangle region (Durham, Cary, Chapel Hill, etc.). Triangle Hurricanes doesn't really sound right either. I think Carolina works just fine since there's probably no chance for another football or hockey team in NC for many years IMO.

Archived