Inclusive vs. Exclusive Sports Teams?

I think Minnesota has the most to complain about.

All leagues use "Minnesota" as to not tick off either Minneapolis or St. Paul, the same way Golden State is used for the Warriors to encompass all Bay Area cities and Texas is used for the Rangers to include both Dallas and Fort Worth.

I would also argue that New York Islanders is a regional name, as the team plays on Long Island, some 20 miles away from New York City, and has no real urban core (sort of like New Jersey).

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe that is correct--> link.

I think in the Panther's case, it makes a lot of sense with the NFL being a more regional draw (with only 8 homes games per year). For the Hurricanes, it makes some sense, as Raleigh is really only part of the draw from the Triangle region (Durham, Cary, Chapel Hill, etc.). Triangle Hurricanes doesn't really sound right either. I think Carolina works just fine since there's probably no chance for another football or hockey team in NC for many years IMO.

This is the reason why the team should be moved to Charlotte. Avoid all naming problems. Concord, Gastonia, Rock Hill, etc. They have all conceded Charlotte is the core. CH, Durham and Cary have identity issues. Raleigh IS the center there as far as CBD is concerned. I'm aware of where the RTP is, that doesn't matter. A true urban core is what really says which city is the center of a metro. The only exception to this rule is the Triad where Greensboro and Winston Salem are much more similar.

Archived