Naming downtown projects

Am I the only one that wonders who named the project that is replacing Piedmont Courts? The Crossings at Seigle Point? :rofl: Horrible name. Irrelevant to downtown projects. Will people say the live at "The Crossings"? won't that be confused with the other projects that have The Crossings in front of their names in the suburbs? The places that I have seen with The Crossings in them were at least located somewhere that had a major set of crossing roads, not just Seigle Avenue and 10th Street.

Seigle Point? Is this at the lake? At least they didn't insult us with a stupid "e" at the end of Point.

Better names that make sense in Center City? PeCo as I have heard before would work for me. Anything other than something so goofy and cutesy. Any ideas?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You think that's bad.....the current working name for the apartments to be built adjacent to the Renwick is Providence Place.

??? For what possible reason? It is nowhere near our Providence Road -- that in and of itself will cause massive confusion since so many projects and neighborhoods out Providence Road are named like this. Ugh.

And I agree, Cinco, things like SoDa and The Crossings are an attempt to distract everyone from where a place was. I don't agree at all with whitewashing history -- no one will care later anyway if the great place they live in used to be called Piedmont Courts and the new name has some relevance to it.

I understand from a marketing standpoint that developers feel projects need names, but I'd prefer to let things just be their address.....this would help promote neighborhoods instead of projects...

Instead of staying "I love at the Crossings at Seigle Point" it would be I live on Seigle Ave in Belmont.

I understand from a marketing standpoint that developers feel projects need names, but I'd prefer to let things just be their address.....this would help promote neighborhoods instead of projects...

Instead of staying "I love at the Crossings at Seigle Point" it would be I live on Seigle Ave in Belmont.

I agree completely that they need names -- I just feel the names should be more relevant and definitely less "cute". Warehouse district? Great urban descriptive name. Garden District -- not sure where that came from either, but still fine. The Crossings? Seigle Point? What the h*ll is Seigle Point?

Developers have long given bad names to places in Charlotte. At least they didn't try and slip in some dumb fake Olde English name like we can find all over town.

I just can't picture someone saying they live at either The Crossings or Seigle Point and anyone immediately thinking of downtown/uptown.

Archived