Metro considering traffic ticket cameras

smeagolsfree

Are you in favor of cameras at intersections  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think this infringes on our civil rights and privacy

• yes
    • no

An article from the Tennessean today: Metro is considering adding cameras to some lights at intersections. Some think that this infringes on our civil liberties. I for one dont really think so because its no different than putting a police officer at every intersection in my eyes. If you run a light, you pay the price. However, I am open to see every ones argument on this topic. I may have overlooked something and may change my mind.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...EWS09/605160354

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm all for it. We have a MAJOR problem in this city with inconsiderate fools running red lights. I'm amazed that more people aren't killed--I think it's because everyone assumes people will run the light and are appropriately cautious. I am also amazed that some people think that saving three minutes of their time is worth the risk of killing or maiming other people, including parents, grandparents children etc. We should heavily ticket people who run red lights until they learn to stop.

One thing about the ticketing policies with cameras is that the fine you receive for running the red-light is set up just like a parking ticket by most police and sheriffs depts. There are no points deducted from you license which is the normal result if a uniformed officer gets you for the same offense.

Indeed. This is exactly how they are setup in Charlotte. Run through a red light camera and they will send you a photo of your car in the intersection with the light red and also a bill for $50. LOL No points, but you have to pay as there is no defense in court.

I'm curious if the camera's can tell the difference between someone who actually speeds through a red light, and someone who is stuck waiting to turn when the light turns red...."owning the intersection".
I am not sure about Tennessee, but in many states, this is considered running the light too. If your car is in the intersection when the light turns red, then technically you have broken the law. However I think the speed cameras also have a motion detector on them so it doesn't snap your photo unless the car is moving.

I'm curious if the camera's can tell the difference between someone who actually speeds through a red light, and someone who is stuck waiting to turn when the light turns red...."owning the intersection".

The cameras in Chattanooga will give you a ticket for that. On of Chattanooga's talk radio personalities Jeff Styles was talking about it last month. He had gone past the line in a monitored intersection and was the second car. The old lady in front of him wouldn't take any of the gaps that came by. Then the light changed and he had his picture taken. He says he was a victim of unaggressive driving. :lol:

If I remember correctly, the TN Drivers manuel states that entering the intersection to wait for a gap is illeagle. You are supposed to stay behind the line till it is clear.

I hear that the cameras in California have to take a picture of the Driver and the License Plate. That way the owner of the car can prove his innocence if he isn't at fault.

jice, those cameras in the Gulch are not for enforcement, but signal controls based on exisiting traffic at the intersections.

Ahh... well in that case, they need to put those in at every intersection, and forget the cameras to enforce running red lights. If the stoplights in this city functioned better, there may be fewer people frustrated enough to run red lights in the first place :) One thing that really irks me... is driving in the afternoon rush down Lebanon pike toward Hermitage... you inevitably hit several red lights where you just sit and wait for 2-3 mins just to let 2-3 cars go, then you get a 5 min green light before the next cycle. If it weren't for this... Lebanon would be a much smoother flow of traffic, as an alternative to I-40. I know there's many similar situations throughout the whole city.

i'm suprised that this poll has been overwhelmingly no. i'm pleased to see it though. even as a liberal minded person, i do not see this infringing on any rights. if you break the law, then you get caught. easy as that. plus it takes place in a public place. don't wanna be seen speeding through a red light in public? then don't do it.

I'm not a big fan of traffic light camera systems, as I can see them causing as many accidents as they prevent during heavy traffic times by folks hitting the brakes when the light turns yellow to avoid the chance of the light changing on them mid-intersection . I also am wary of system glitches that might ticket yellow light runners by snapping pics to soon.

In a perfect world the system sounds great, but I am just wary of them.

• 4 weeks later...

Against...also, who will pay for their up keep? I'd like to know how many actual accidents are caused in metro by running red lights each year first.

I just don't like cameras all over the place period but these are the times we live in. Coming one of these years, "Speed Limit Cameras."

I'm not a big fan of traffic light camera systems, as I can see them causing as many accidents as they prevent during heavy traffic times by folks hitting the brakes when the light turns yellow to avoid the chance of the light changing on them mid-intersection . I also am wary of system glitches that might ticket yellow light runners by snapping pics to soon.

In a perfect world the system sounds great, but I am just wary of them.

I lived in San Francisco when they first installed some cameras around downtown. They were much needed because people were basically ignoring what color the lights were on a regular basis. The cameras stopped that behavior cold. Also, people learned where the cameras were, so I don't think there were accidents caused by the cameras because people modified their driving around them. That is to say that everyone approaching a light with a known camera would know what was up and not floor it with someone more tentative in front of them.

I remember this creating some odd problems for people that borrowed friends' cars because the ticket is mailed to the address connected to the license plate. I don't think you get to say "Hey, it wasn't me!". I like Tennessee not having front plates too and I'm not sure if they are necessary for cameras to work. Yes, you can take a photo of the rear, but there is something about capturing the driver.

At night when the strobe flashes go off as someone gets burned, people like to cheer. I always though that was a little funny.

I certainly don't have a problem with it. I wish I could get one at the four-way stop near my house. It's amazing how people blow right through like it wasn't even there. :shok:

In that case you probably don't deserve to have a stop sign in front of your house. I'm sure your street is a minor alley way with minimal traffic. Of course I haven't inspected it, but from what I've seen driving around nashville, 3/4ths of the stopsigns in this town are unnecessary.

i'm suprised that this poll has been overwhelmingly no. i'm pleased to see it though. even as a liberal minded person, i do not see this infringing on any rights. if you break the law, then you get caught. easy as that. plus it takes place in a public place. don't wanna be seen speeding through a red light in public? then don't do it.

Actually the poll is somewhat confusing in that the poll question is "Do you think this infringes on our civil rights privacy?" That's the question most people said "no" to. But the heading says "Are you in favor of cameras at intersections?" Many people were probably confused and voted the wrong way so it's hard to say what this poll means.

Just wait until we all have governement GPS in our car. That way big brother will know every where we go, will know to mail us a speeding ticket for speeding, and will be able to tax us for the expense. That day is coming, and that's far worse than a couple of little cameras.

Aside... I get really irritated at cops who even in their personal vehicles are allowed to speed without worry of a ticket. That little black sticker with the blue line will get them out of almost any jam. What signal are we sending? We are saying that if you are a police officer you are above the law. I hate speeding tickets, but I think there should be more strict enforcement of what happens when a vehicle is pulled over. We nee to say that if you are stopped for speeding, no warning. If a cop stops someone and doesn't write a ticket, suspend them. Of course you have to excuse circumstances such as medical emergencies, but even that should be extremely limited.

I know you all think I drive 5 under and love Serpas, but that's not what I'm about. I think there should be a 10-15 mph buffer on interstates, but if a police officer determines that a car is going so fast that it should be stopped, then be consistent department wide about writing a ticket.

J That little black sticker with the blue line will get them out of almost any jam.

So, that's what that little black and blue sticker/front plate is? I've been wondering and had no idea how to find out..

I, too, get frustrated when I see a police car going 45 in a 30... I did it, got caught, had to pay pay pay, and then go to a defensive driver course. Not to say I shouldn't have been pulled over -- I was speeding after all, but I agree that the rule doesn't seem to be applied evenly. Of course, I doubt that's just in Nashville - bound to be the same old story anywhere you go..

My solution is better self-control - try to always watch my speed and believe me, I always come to a full and complete stop at a stop sign.. :rolleyes:

Archived