Highland Strip Development

soverbey

Homes, shops for Highland Strip Looney Ricks Kiss Architects

By Amos Maki

Contact

May 16, 2006

A church site along the Highland Strip could become the newest shrine to mixed-use development.

Poag & McEwen Lifestyle Centers, the Memphis-based development group that has become nationally recognized for creating "lifestyle centers" like the Shops at Saddle Creek, is moving forward with plans to turn the 10-acre Highland Street Church of Christ site near the University of Memphis into a $45 million mixed-use mecca offering a range of living, dining and shopping options.

Mod Edit: Refer to the article link provided in post below by Bears.

@soverbey: I need you to add some commentary in addition to this short clipping for it to fully comply with forum rules. I notice this thread ( http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=25549 ) on Memphis industrial development also lacks a link and commentary, I need you to fix that as well when you have a chance. Its nothing to worry about having done, but I have to enforce the formatting rules strictly. I will take this part of my edit down once you have added the commentary.

Rules Link:http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=260

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's the website for this project

http://www.pm-lifestyle.com/lifestyle_cent...land/index.html

The daily news says "The company's initial plan will be to turn the site into 185 residential units, with 25 single-family townhouses on Ellsworth Street and more than 150 units above 81,000 square feet of retail space. Construction is planned to start in 2007 and could be completed in 2008."

Here's the website for this project

http://www.pm-lifestyle.com/lifestyle_cent...land/index.html

The daily news says "The company's initial plan will be to turn the site into 185 residential units, with 25 single-family townhouses on Ellsworth Street and more than 150 units above 81,000 square feet of retail space. Construction is planned to start in 2007 and could be completed in 2008."

I'm not sure exactly on the Strip this development is. West side or east side of Highland, between what streets?

I hope it's able to blend seamlessly in with the old storefronts in that area.

EDIT: after looking at that site, I noticed the townhouses appear to have a little ye olde New Orleans style complete with dormier windows. That's completely out of place in that neighborhood imho, which is basically 1930's streetcar style.

Will students be able to afford something like this? I think Memphis has a MAJOR deficiency in housing geared towards young professionals. You may see that demographic gobble this place up rather quickly.

I don't think it's geared towards students at all.

I imagine it'll be pretty pricey considering what the developer was quoted as saying about the area:

"We felt like there was a lot of potential in this area that had not been realized," said Dan Poag, chief executive officer of Poag & McEwen. "The incomes, the education and the people who live in that area are just tremendous."

and:

"The Shops at Highland University is highly anticipated to be the primary shopping, dining, and residential destination of choice in one of the highest income trade area corridors in the entire Memphis MSA."

As far as young professionals go, I'm not familiar with East Memphis other than what I've read that a lot of that demographic is buying old ranchers within the loop and updating them. Other than that, Midtown and downtown seem full of options. It's good to see that development is occuring outside those areas though.

I don't think it's geared towards students at all.

I imagine it'll be pretty pricey considering what the developer was quoted as saying about the area:

"We felt like there was a lot of potential in this area that had not been realized," said Dan Poag, chief executive officer of Poag & McEwen. "The incomes, the education and the people who live in that area are just tremendous."

As far as young professionals go, I'm not familiar with East Memphis other than what I've read that a lot of that demographic is buying old ranchers within the loop and updating them. Other than that, Midtown and downtown seem full of options.

Their gonna have too! The major demographic that isn't going anywhere soon in college students.If its not them, someone will build a "University City" nearby. I can't imagine this development being Saddle Creek. Its too pricy. The Income per Capita in this area is $20,216 ($4,811 on campus) compared to $42,225 in Germantown. I'm envisioning this development will be full of resturants, cafes, and bookstores. Maybe a few stores like Hollister and H&M. Its nice quality and still cheap. Maybe even a furniture store and grocery store.

Their gonna have too! The major demographic that isn't going anywhere soon in college students.If its not them, someone will build a "University City" nearby. I can't imagine this development being Saddle Creek. Its too pricy. The Income per Capita in this area is $20,216 ($4,811 on campus) compared to $42,225 in Germantown. I'm envisioning this development will be full of resturants, cafes, and bookstores. Maybe a few stores like Hollister and H&M. Its nice quality and still cheap. Maybe even a furniture store and grocery store.

Leaving out the poor college students who may well have virtually zero income, that area is pretty well off. You've got Central Avenue and the areas north of there, areas along Poplar, the Galloway area, etc. Then you've got the Buntyn area which is pretty middle-class--the area west of Highland.

And how far away from the Laurelwood/Oak Court area is it? 10 minutes.

Leaving out the poor college students who may well have virtually zero income, that area is pretty well off. You've got Central Avenue and the areas north of there, areas along Poplar, the Galloway area, etc. Then you've got the Buntyn area which is pretty middle-class--the area west of Highland.

And how far away from the Laurelwood/Oak Court area is it? 10 minutes.

Yep. But I'm talking about within walking distance of the University. I don't think theres really much to do off campus without having to drive. Plus the name of the development is "The SHOPS at HIGHLAND UNIVERSITY" and the developer has said "The incomes, the education and the people who live in that area are just tremendous. We also believe the University of Memphis deserves a better front door than they have right now." I think this project will attract not only the 45,653 people who live in the area, but certainly the 16,533 who live and work on campus as well. Since the college student crowd will be sizable piece of the demographic, there has to be something for them as well.

ya i agree, though college students dont have incomes that are sizeable, they may still shop and purchase things there. Im a college student at Purdue... my annual income right now is laughable, but that never stops me from taking a girl to a nice resturaunt :rofl:. for me the problem isnt paying for the food, its getting the girl to go on a date with me :P

@Soverbey: I have had lock this and several other threads (in TN and MS) for not complying to the board rules for posting news clippings. I will unlock these threads if you want by contacting me and indicating you will fix the issues I have pointed out. I left you a message in this thread and sent you a PM a few days ago, but I have not gotten any feedback.

Archived