Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ncbrian

Should the Pepper building be saved?

7 posts in this topic

Walking on Fourth St today, I took notice of the Pepper building located at the southwest corner of Liberty and Fourth in downtown Winston-Salem. It is not a bad looking building. The facade facing Liberty and Fourth have some nice decorative features that fit in with other buildings in the area. The street-level facade I do not particularly care but I have a certain fondness for the Third St side of the building. Seeing the cast iron fire escape keeps reminding me of the cast-iron district in New York City.

I do not know much of the history of the building or its architecture but is it a building that should make way for a building that will actually be used or should the building be retained and somehow incorporated into the new development?

On a side note, does anyone agree that the buildings between the Contempo furniture store and the Legal Aid building should be torned down or at least seriously renovated? The Dill Pickle restaurant is currently located there and with the new Condo development going up next door to the Contempo store, it is out of place on that stretch of street.

Walking on Fourth St today, I took notice of the Pepper building located at the southwest corner of Liberty and Fourth in downtown Winston-Salem. It is not a bad looking building. The facade facing Liberty and Fourth have some nice decorative features that fit in with other buildings in the area. The street-level facade I do not particularly care but I have a certain fondness for the Third St side of the building. Seeing the cast iron fire escape keeps reminding me of the cast-iron district in New York City.

I do not know much of the history of the building or its architecture but is it a building that should make way for a building that will actually be used or should the building be retained and somehow incorporated into the new development?

On a side note, does anyone agree that the buildings between the Contempo furniture store and the Legal Aid building should be torned down or at least seriously renovated? The Dill Pickle restaurant is currently located there and with the new Condo development going up next door to the Contempo store, it is out of place on that stretch of street.

Everything from the Contempo Furniture store (starting at the Davis Building) all the way to Liberty street is already schedule to be torn down. This is old news. The last I heard there was a last minute attempt to save the old Court House between Liberty and Main, but this is also slated for demolition to make way for 2 condo and office towers. The first tower will be build where the old pepper building is located and in the future the second tower will be build where the old court house is. If you want to know more check out skyscraperpage.com. Matthew has all the details about this project in the forums under Civic Plaza. This project includes 2 towers and a park.

Everything from the Contempo Furniture store (starting at the Davis Building) all the way to Liberty street is already schedule to be torn down. This is old news. The last I heard there was a last minute attempt to save the old Court House between Liberty and Main, but this is also slated for demolition to make way for 2 condo and office towers. The first tower will be build where the old pepper building is located and in the future the second tower will be build where the old court house is. If you want to know more check out skyscraperpage.com. Matthew has all the details about this project in the forums under Civic Plaza. This project includes 2 towers and a park.

I was aware of the Civic Plaza project but there was, when I last checked the latest downtown developments, some idea of saving the building and incorporating it in the new development. What I did not know about was that they are going to tear down the courthouse building. While it is vacant now, there should be some use of the structure. Looking at pictures of old Winston over the past hundred years or so, it seems that the city is always tearing down its courthouses because they always seem to get in the way of progress. Hence we have nothing like the Lexington court house in the city anymore.

The used this link at skyscraperpage.com.

i think it should be saved if possible. if the building isnt sound anymore, then tear it down.

I don't think there's much hope for the Pepper building. It is prohibitively expensive to remodel this building for modern use for what possible revenue it could generate. I will probably be missed, but it isn't a standout building in the W-S skyline.

DON'T get rid of the 'Dill Pickle.' My mother and I used to stop there for lunch when we would go downtown when I was a child. It is an institution!

I don't think there's much hope for the Pepper building. It is prohibitively expensive to remodel this building for modern use for what possible revenue it could generate. I will probably be missed, but it isn't a standout building in the W-S skyline.

DON'T get rid of the 'Dill Pickle.' My mother and I used to stop there for lunch when we would go downtown when I was a child. It is an institution!

I agree with you but don't you think that they could remodel the outside of Dill Pickle? Everytime I drive by there it always looks like it's closed and rundown. I am in favor of tearing it down and putting up a new building with street level retail and having the Dill Pickel on the bottom.