Meijer Gift turned down for naming rights issue

This article is a bit strange:

Meijer has money for trail, but state just walks away

I would say with the budget situation, the State needs to look at being a little more creative. Aren't some of the State Parks already named after people (Charles Mears State Park for instance)? How can the State say it's against their policy?

It seems the local Townships don't have a problem with it:

http://www.mlive.com/news/grpress/index.ss...5890.xml&coll=6

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would say with the budget situation, the State needs to look at being a little more creative. Aren't some of the State Parks already named after people (Charles Mears State Park for instance)? How can the State say it's against their policy?
There's also P.J. Hoffmaster State Park, F.J. McClain State Park, P.H. Hoeft State Park, Paul Van Riper State Park, Albert E. Sleeper State Park, W.J. Hayes State Park, J.W. Wells State Park, and William C. Sterling State Park, and probably others.

Those parks are built on land donated in someones name typically. I think they view Meijers as more of a corporate sponser, and I don't think our public parks should be named after corporations. Stadiums, arenas and other stuff like that is pushing it enough.

From the article:

"If he's going to give us that kind of money, we'll rename the township," joked Scott Hladki, supervisor for Dalton Township in Muskegon County.

From a user standpoint, that's going to be really confusing. Kindof like the Peachtree prefix that messes up every street in Atlanta.

In my view, it would be a mistake to call the M-6 the Fred Meijer when there's already a Fred Meijer trail up and running (walking, rolling, riding) in the area. Doesn't he have a middle name? Can't we work through the family tree?

Those parks are built on land donated in someones name typically. I think they view Meijers as more of a corporate sponser, and I don't think our public parks should be named after corporations. Stadiums, arenas and other stuff like that is pushing it enough.

It's coming from the Meijer Trust, not from Meijer Corporate. Did anyone check to make sure Charles Mears, or any of the others, was not a business owner?

The article makes is sound like FM is the one pushing for this, but I suspect it's really the foundation. I always thought that the old guy was self-effacing and not the least bit stuck up. Would hate to have to revamp that perception.

I could see a certain politician demanding that his name be plastered on something (besides the WELCOME TO MICHIGAN) signs, but not good ol' Fred!

It's coming from the Meijer Trust, not from Meijer Corporate. Did anyone check to make sure Charles Mears, or any of the others, was not a business owner?
Charles Mears - lumber baron; daughter donated land to Michigan which became part of the state park which bears his name

P.J. Hoffmaster - first Superintendent of DNR

F.J. McClain - involved in politics in Houghton area

Paul H. Hoeft - lumber baron; donated land to Michigan which became part of the state park which bears his name

Paul Van Riper - doctor and politician in western UP

Albert E. Sleeper - former Governor; established state park system

W.J. Hayes - former Senator; family donated land to Michigan which became part of the state park with the stipulation the park be renamed from Cedar Hill State Park to W.J. Hayes State Park

J.W. Wells - lumber baron and politician; family donated land to Michigan which became part of the state park which bears his name

William C. Sterling - Monroe sportsman and boating enthusiast; Monroe Yacht Club donated land to Michigan which became part of the state park with the stipulation that it be named William C. Sterling State Park

Charles Mears - lumber baron; daughter donated land to Michigan which became part of the state park which bears his name

P.J. Hoffmaster - first Superintendent of DNR

F.J. McClain - involved in politics in Houghton area

Paul H. Hoeft - lumber baron; donated land to Michigan which became part of the state park which bears his name

Paul Van Riper - doctor and politician in western UP

Albert E. Sleeper - former Governor; established state park system

W.J. Hayes - former Senator; family donated land to Michigan which became part of the state park with the stipulation the park be renamed from Cedar Hill State Park to W.J. Hayes State Park

J.W. Wells - lumber baron and politician; family donated land to Michigan which became part of the state park which bears his name

William C. Sterling - Monroe sportsman and boating enthusiast; Monroe Yacht Club donated land to Michigan which became part of the state park with the stipulation that it be named William C. Sterling State Park

And they're all dead, right?

And they're all dead, right?

They weren't always dead. My argument is that this policy seems a bit silly, considering the precedent that's already been set and the State Parks have no money.

Nice work BTW Phizzy.

The article makes is sound like FM is the one pushing for this, but I suspect it's really the foundation. I always thought that the old guy was self-effacing and not the least bit stuck up. Would hate to have to revamp that perception.

I could see a certain politician demanding that his name be plastered on something (besides the WELCOME TO MICHIGAN) signs, but not good ol' Fred!

This is not a direct attack on you Veloise, you just brought it up here. I've read similar attacks in multiple threads but it was never in an appropriate topic to make a comment.

I am so sick of people giving the DeVos and VanAndel, etc families crap about buildings being named after them. This isn't something unique to them. They're not selfish, stuck-up, power hungry people who just want to see their names on buildings. Go to any city in America and you'll see that buildings and institutions are named after donors.

Go to the downtown YMCA. Is anybody complaining that it's named after David Hunting? How about the Visser Family YMCA in Grandville. Go inside these buildings and see various rooms named after donors. The walls are covered with plaques recognizing donors.

Go into any hospital. Go into the Meijer Heart Center or the Lack's Cancer Center. Every hall, every room, every corner is named after someone with a plaque to recognize it.

Go visit any college campus. Every building is named after a big donor.

If we're going to start criticising the generous donors in this country who make it possible for us to enjoy the institutions that we love to enjoy then the DeVos and VanAndels are small potatoes. Sure, they're big around GR but what about guys like Donald Trump? And his projects are mostly commercial enterprises and icons to benefit HIM. Our local philanthropists donate their money, without any return to them, to benefit US!

When you donate a billion dollars to develop a world class, life changing medical institution, and don't put your name on it then, and only then, do you have the right to criticise. If you don't, and you enjoy their generosity like I do, then shut-up! Why are we so quick to criticise, condemn, and complain? We should be celebrating their success. We should be celebrating the fact that we have some of the most successful, and most generous families in the world from right here in Grand Rapids. We should be grateful that rather than just buying another island, or yacht, or jet they give millions to Holland Home so your Grandma can have a nice place to go when she get's Alzheimer's. We should appreciate it when they give millions to Raybrook Manor to improve their facilities. And we should be even more grateful for the millions, and millions we don't even know about. Isn't it great that they return their money back to the community where they made it? Rather than criticising how about thanking them for the legacy they've left all of us to follow. I'm always proud to explain to visitors how generous the philanthropists are in Grand Rapids. They're always amazed at what we've been able to build, and the growth that's followed, based on their generosity.

If you don't like the fact that an arena's built for YOU TO USE, but it has their name on it then build your own stinking arena.

And why is it "stuck-up" for the Meijer family, or foundation to say if they're going to donate a bunch of money in honor of Fred Meijer it'd be nice to have his name on it? Makes sense to me. That way when I'm out enjoying it I can know who to thank.

I just don't understand this mindset. I was never taught to attack someone because they're rich and I'm not. I was taught to say "Thank you." (and "can you teach me something?!")

:D:D

This is not a direct attack on you Veloise, you just brought it up here. I've read similar attacks in multiple threads but it was never in an appropriate topic to make a comment.

I am so sick of people giving the DeVos and VanAndel, etc families crap about buildings being named after them. This isn't something unique to them. They're not selfish, stuck-up, power hungry people who just want to see their names on buildings. Go to any city in America and you'll see that buildings and institutions are named after donors.

And why is it "stuck-up" for the Meijer family, or foundation to say if they're going to donate a bunch of money in honor of Fred Meijer it'd be nice to have his name on it? Makes sense to me. That way when I'm out enjoying it I can know who to thank.

I used the phrase "stuck-up" because the media has emphasized (and stated over and over) that it is FRED **demanding** his name on the White Pine Trail. And as I originally posted, my perception of FM hizownself is that he would not make this requirement.

Howard Meyerson (GRPress outdoor/bicycling writer) has a call for comments out; that should be an interesting piece. The Press has already called me three times to verify that yes, I really did write them a letter about this, in which I mention the possible confusion over duplicating Fred's name on every trail in the area. It's hard enough to describe a precise location on a trail to let dispatch know where official back-up is needed.

At the Y, I like looking at the printed-on-glass photo of the Visser family, and the many donor photo montages all around the building. If I could afford a brick or a bench or a day sponsorship, I sure would enjoy seeing my name (and not my handle) billboarded.

My take on this is that it would be kind of boring to hear Grand Rapids Heart Center, Grand Rapids Place, Grand Rapids YMCA, Grand Rapids Children's Hospital, Grand Rapids Center for Health Sciences.

I used to think a rich person droped a few million and expected nothing in return. The people recieving the huge amount of money would be so giddy they would automaticly name the place after them to pay homage. If this is how things go, great, if not, great also. We still have nice buildings and great services supported by the more well off members of our community.

My take on this is that it would be kind of boring to hear Grand Rapids Heart Center, Grand Rapids Place, Grand Rapids YMCA, Grand Rapids Children's Hospital, Grand Rapids Center for Health Sciences.

I used to think a rich person droped a few million and expected nothing in return. The people recieving the huge amount of money would be so giddy they would automaticly name the place after them to pay homage. If this is how things go, great, if not, great also. We still have nice buildings and great services supported by the more well off members of our community.

Sometimes the gift comes with a naming condition, but often the doner's generosity is without strings and is later honored by the institution by naming the building after him/her.

I had a Jewish client once who explained to me his perspective on giving. There were about 10 steps. The lowest was me giving you money and you knowing where it came from. The highest was me giving money without knowing specifically who would benefit and you receiving money without specifically knowing where it came from. There are millions of dollars given every year in this community for our collective benefit and we don't have a clue where it came from. There are similar amounts given that we do know the donor. I'm thankful for all of it.

Go to the downtown YMCA. Is anybody complaining that it's named after David Hunting? How about the Visser Family YMCA in Grandville. Go inside these buildings and see various rooms named after donors. The walls are covered with plaques recognizing donors.

Go into any hospital. Go into the Meijer Heart Center or the Lack's Cancer Center. Every hall, every room, every corner is named after someone with a plaque to recognize it.

Go visit any college campus. Every building is named after a big donor.

If we're going to start criticising the generous donors in this country who make it possible for us to enjoy the institutions that we love to enjoy then the DeVos and VanAndels are small potatoes. Sure, they're big around GR but what about guys like Donald Trump? And his projects are mostly commercial enterprises and icons to benefit HIM. Our local philanthropists donate their money, without any return to them, to benefit US!

When you donate a billion dollars to develop a world class, life changing medical institution, and don't put your name on it then, and only then, do you have the right to criticise. If you don't, and you enjoy their generosity like I do, then shut-up! Why are we so quick to criticise, condemn, and complain? We should be celebrating their success. We should be celebrating the fact that we have some of the most successful, and most generous families in the world from right here in Grand Rapids. We should be grateful that rather than just buying another island, or yacht, or jet they give millions to Holland Home so your Grandma can have a nice place to go when she get's Alzheimer's. We should appreciate it when they give millions to Raybrook Manor to improve their facilities. And we should be even more grateful for the millions, and millions we don't even know about. Isn't it great that they return their money back to the community where they made it? Rather than criticising how about thanking them for the legacy they've left all of us to follow. I'm always proud to explain to visitors how generous the philanthropists are in Grand Rapids. They're always amazed at what we've been able to build, and the growth that's followed, based on their generosity.

If you don't like the fact that an arena's built for YOU TO USE, but it has their name on it then build your own stinking arena.

I just don't understand this mindset. I was never taught to attack someone because they're rich and I'm not. I was taught to say "Thank you." (and "can you teach me something?!")

:D:D

One only needs to go over to Flint and Saginaw to see the downside of not having family names like DeVos, VanAndel, Meijer, Frey, Blodgett and Butterworth supporting a community. Be thankful those people are here in Grand Rapids and are giving back to the entire community.

Absolutely. It bothers me that there is so much negative sentiment against the "big guys" in town. I'm not saying that they're free of error and that the public shouldn't be able to criticise them, but Grand Rapids is so fortunate to have that "Public-Private Partnership" that enables us to have such high-caliber projects that blows other cities out of the water.

It might be a little bit ego-centric to demand that your gift is contingent upon having it named after you, but ultimately you're the one writing the check.

I think this trail is particularly absurd. Fred Meijer is in such poor health now, and his money isn't going to be around forever. He's not concerned about building the business anymore, but he wants to carve out his legacy.

I think that's a very valid point. I wonder after Fred dies, If the heirs to the fortune, will continue the legacy of community involvement. Does anyone ever get the feeling that when he goes, they are going to sell the company in peices, and leave town?

I think that's a very valid point. I wonder after Fred dies, If the heirs to the fortune, will continue the legacy of community involvement. Does anyone ever get the feeling that when he goes, they are going to sell the company in peices, and leave town?

Everyone and their grandma has that feeling...

I don;t think the connection to the company is the same for Fred's kids as it was for Fred. Henrik didn't give Fred the cushy chairman seat right away, he started as a bagger, for about a week maybe at most (lol)

• 2 weeks later...

GRPress finally ran my letter (on Saturday), calling it "Meijer pretense?" Editing isn't too dreadful this time. (Sometimes all I recognize is my name.)

I am guessing the offer will be extended again, and negotiations will take place.

Maybe Mr. White Pine doesn't want his name removed. . . .j/k . . . .that trail is a terrific bike trail and I would love to see the money go towards it. I don't care what they call the freakin thing . . just keep it in shape! Thanks to Fred for wanting to donate in the first place.

jeez

Maybe Mr. White Pine doesn't want his name removed. . . .j/k . . . .that trail is a terrific bike trail and I would love to see the money go towards it. I don't care what they call the freakin thing . . just keep it in shape! Thanks to Fred for wanting to donate in the first place.

jeez

This is back in the news again. Here is a link from Wood TV8

http://www.woodtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=5028370

A quote from the article:

"The Michigan House already approved the idea, and Governor Granholm told a state board to figure out a way to accept the gift."

Archived