Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

colin

one big rainbow bridge

6 posts in this topic

The project is an enormous rainbow bridge spanning Interstate 10 and the Santa Cruz River in Downtown Tucson. The bridge would link the Downtown area to a proposed Science Center. The science center is to be funded by a grant to the University of Arizona, and the funding is apparently already secured for this, as well as other UA-related projects Downtown.

The architect is [url=http://www.rvapc.com/]Rafael Vi

His idea is to have an iconic symbol, most obviously similar to Saint Louis' arch.

Not a very original idea for a city symbol. St. Louis did a better Arch for a city symbol years ago. The St. Louis Arch is sculpture. This looks like a cheap copy of another citiy's symbol. Why not do a space needle, but with vinyl siding?

Find another architect. I don't think this thing will win any prizes.

Why don't they design something a little more fitting with the terrain, like a bridge that mimics the style of the real Rainbow Bridge?:

28raina1.jpg

Maybe not actually of stone, but conveying the same form. That bridge in the picture above really looks like it stands out like a soar thumb, IMO.

Vinoly designed a Research Institute in Grand Rapids. I was a little disappointed by what he came up with.

Personally I find it interesting. I can see arguements for both sides. I guess I can see some people thinking it's just a ripoff of the St Louis Arch. But I guess to me it seems different enough. I think it's interesting that it would span I-10 and the Santa Cruz River. I admit I don't know about the St Louis Arch but I don't think you can drive underneath the span. I can't say that there might be a better project. But I wouldn't have any problems with this.

Tucson needs something like this. I do think it is an ok project...don't jump the gun on this though. Every decent sized city needs an Icon.

^^Very interesting project, looks like a great attention getter for the area, as well as a picture postcard candidate to come to represent everything progressive and dynamic about Tucson.