Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Allan

Downtown YMCA

18 posts in this topic

Downtown Detroit YMCA

y.jpg

The downtown YMCA will open in 2005 and will include performing arts theater, an arts and humanities center, a sports arena, a child care facility, a natatorium, & a fitness center. I was by the site the other day, and the surface lot that used to be on the site is being torn up right now. So there's no steel rising yet....

YMCA%20Altered%20Rendering%2010-15.jpg

Now that's a ncie YMCA it looks so much better than the one here. This will be aq great addtion for the people of Detroit

Yeah, & it will rid us of a surface parking lot :). And the people who complain about Detroit not having enough modern architecture will have one less thing to complain about.

I agree one parking lot down hundreds to go ;) j/k it's not that many

Actually many of the downtown parking lots have plans. Just as long as we don't make more parking lots. I've been downtown taking pics in the middle of the business day & have never had problems finding a place to park, even in the financial district, so there is no reason to build any more. They should pass an ordinance: All new parking structures in the downtown area must be underground.

YEP ALLAN FOR MAYOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have actually thought about running for a place on the city council or something like that. So maybe I will be mayor someday. You just never know.

That is a scary thought.....I could be the mayor in like 12 years if I am elected while I'm still young like Kilpatrick was.

think Detroit would elect a sorry person like me for a city council post?

Would Detroit elect you to a position on city council? Not right now....you have to be 18 years old & living in the city of Detroit. After you comply to those requirements, that's a real possibility.

The thing with Detroit city council is that all 9 members are elected at large. Unlike most cities, Detroit does not have a ward system. Because of this, all the city council members come from only a few neighborhoods, leaving vast portions of the city unrepresented. It is for this reason that many Detroiters don't really care who gets elected, because they know they will not get accurately represented whoever they elect. So, unfortunately, in many cases it all comes down to who has the better sounding name. That is not how the city government should work, but because Detroiters have struck down the ward system time and time again (most recently in 1998, I believe) that is the way city politics work. I could go on and on, but I'm going to leave it at that.

Well that sucks. I don't think they should have set it up that way well does my name sound good? or does my hopefully new last name work? ;):D

Maybe I should've elaborated a bit more in my previous post. Remember that your name is not the only factor. Your credentials will help the most, but having a good sounding, recognizable name will definately help you, especially with the way Detroit's political system is set up. I have heard many people say they did not know who to pick, so they just picked the 9 with the best sounding names. In reality, I am trying to oversimply a very complex thing, which I should not really be doing...oversimplifying just gets me into trouble.

LOL...How did this thread get so off-topic in the first place? Oh well, we need more discussions about Detroit anyway. I know that many Detroit forumers are lurking around here, they just aren't registered, or don't post much (if at all).

Come out & represent Detroit!!!!!! We don't bite! This is a friendly place :).

Thats the best YMCA Ive seen

Yeah, it will be awesome once it's completed. The people of Detroit are very lucky. It's much nicer than the one in Flint, or any others I've seen in any other city. Critics complain that Detroit needs some modern buildings, so here's another one :).

Good for Detroit!! The facility looks great!

It will be a great looking building and addition to downtown. I didn't catch the location it was being built on, where is it?

It's on the block bound by Broadway, Grand River, John R, & Library Streets. The main entrance will be at the corner of Broadway & John R, next to the people mover station.