Michigan Accent

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Absolutely not, and being my girl looks into UP-GR to check up on my "bad self"; there's no way in Hell. :) Here after I should be known as the "one woman man." I pride myself on such a title.

LA Dave knows what I'm talking about. If I need to grab something at the store and my girl calls the cell and says "grab a couple widgets," I grab handfulls. It's not my math skills, although the skills suck as of now, but its a matter of playing on the safe side.

that's because before they went all big and pretentious, they were the Meijers' family store. Meijer is just from here, alot of us are just old school remember back when it was Fred Meijer's or something to that nature.

My dad still calls it "Thrifty's". From Meijer "Thrifty Acres".

:rofl:

My dad still calls it "Thrifty's". From Meijer "Thrifty Acres".

:rofl:

My mom used to pronounce it "MEE-jurz". I say "Meijer" myself, and I also say "fi-yerr" for "fire". It rhymes.

The one I don't get is "Kmart's". The Kmart chain was NEVER owned by a guy named "Kmart" (his name, I believe, was Sebastian S. Kresge - hence, SS Kresge dime store).

And you bedder believe I say "you guys", even if I'm talkin' ta females. Heck, even the dictionary says "guys" can apply to either gender.

I always say 'you guys' as well. I say Cranz. I say Meijer's. My t's always do sound like d's, and any t or d at the end of the word is almost inaudible (but i've determined it is still there). My words do slur together, I do say Ashfault (what is it SUPPOSED to be pronounced as?? o_O), I do say Cloze, I don't say comfrtble, I say comferble. I say Fi-yerr, I say ferever, I say Gran Rapids, I say groshries, Imunna say I say Imunna, Ki-nuh, Er, Sump'n, Tempachur, Tuh, U-sta, Ya.

Of course they changed it to Kmart from Kresge's

as they grew, people couldn't figure out how to say it. (unless they were uber old and lived in Detroit. Kmart was just a marketing ploy with the name. It makes perfect sense to me.

Of course they changed it to Kmart from Kresge's

as they grew, people couldn't figure out how to say it. (unless they were uber old and lived in Detroit. Kmart was just a marketing ploy with the name. It makes perfect sense to me.

Kresge was the parent company, and they developed K-Mart as a big box for the suburban form. After a while the corporate name morphed into K-Mart.

Kresge family bailed out when a) the stores opened on Sundays and b) sold wine and beer.

[research courtesy several decades of reading the Free Press]

I have to wonder what killed Kmart, because they were the equivalent of walmart there for at least a decade.

The former CEO, Chuck Conaway.

http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnflas..._5491_db035.htm is but one of a bazillion hits. One of those articles would mention his severance package. Another one doubtless mentions the inventory control problems: semi trailers full of merch sitting in the back parking lots, with empty shelves inside.

"The lawsuit says Conaway billed Kmart $106,191 for improvements to his private home, including $34,948 for a guardhouse and $3,590 for a "safe room". He had two company-issued Jaguars, plus a Lincoln Navigator and a driver to take his children to school. "

I am originally from Chicago. Many of my fellow class mates after graduating High School would attend Calvin. When they came back after only one year, they certainly had an accent. One of the things they picked up that would bug me the most is saying "hamburgs" for hamburgers. When I was living in Chi-town, I would have sworn that Mc D's in GR said "1 billion hamburgs sold"

I am originally from Chicago. Many of my fellow class mates after graduating High School would attend Calvin. When they came back after only one year, they certainly had an accent. One of the things they picked up that would bug me the most is saying "hamburgs" for hamburgers. When I was living in Chi-town, I would have sworn that Mc D's in GR said "1 billion hamburgs sold"

I've never heard anyone say hamburgs around here. Weird.

Aunt = ant. But the author says it should be "Awnt". :rolleyes:

Archived