Michigan Accent

Yes and by someone who prides himself on formal and correct

pronunciations - made me doubt myself for a minute - not real

obvious, but enough there to hear it slightly - now just makes me

laugh at his pompousness.

I sometimes say CHicago mejane, but it's more funny than anything, like I'm saying it with a Spanish accent.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know what annoys me when People Pronounce Clio, (Clii-Oh) Cleo ( Clee-Oh) I don't know how many arguements i've had with people trying to correct me on how I say it. My grandparents live there. That bugs me probabally more then when people mispronounce Okemos. I need my Flint hommies to back me up on this one.

yup, that is very annoying, lol. People also do that about the town of Caro out in the thumb, its pronounced Care-oh, but i heard a few people, including a local news weaterman, call it Cairo. Jeeeeeessh.

Haha, people pronounce Clio, Cleo? haha that's ridiculous

So many people in the Tri-Cities pronounce the suburban Saginaw city of Buena Vista, Byooonah Vista. It's pronounced Bwhena Vista fools! Another mispronounced suburb of Saginaw is Carrollton. People say it the female way, but technicaly it supposed to sound like Carlton...the dude from Fresh Prince.

So many people in the Tri-Cities pronounce the suburban Saginaw city of Buena Vista, Byooonah Vista. It's pronounced Bwhena Vista fools!

im guilty of that , but they even call it byoon ah vista on the news(when someone gets shot)

I never noticed a Michigan accent until I moved to California and lived there for a few years. When we first moved back I was so incredibly annoyed by the way my family and friends pronounced things. Now that I have been back a few years I notice the accent less and less.

Visiting my in laws in Iowa I have noticed some funny things there too. They like to throw their clothes into the "warshing" machine! What is that?

I think that was brought up, here, and is more of a rural/urban thing than regional difference. In fact, that's something that's been skipped over altogether, and that's that regardless of where you are in the country, there is always a noticable difference between urban and rural dwellers be it Massachusetts or Georgia.

Haha, people pronounce Clio, Cleo? haha that's ridiculous

So many people in the Tri-Cities pronounce the suburban Saginaw city of Buena Vista, Byooonah Vista. It's pronounced Bwhena Vista fools! Another mispronounced suburb of Saginaw is Carrollton. People say it the female way, but technicaly it supposed to sound like Carlton...the dude from Fresh Prince.

i dont think it is all that rediculous..... Is this a city in michigan? if so..... It may be a french name, and if it is, then it would be pronounced cleo (pretty much).

Archived