Best Rapper Alive?

cameronm

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The kid can really rap and has great flow. There's a reason Jay-Z went into a bidding war for him with Cash Money Records last year, has made multiple other attempts to sign him, and has said nothing but positive things about him and his style. I'm a big supporter of all New Orleans rappers, but Lil Wayne is my favorite by far. His slow, tough, and slurred flow is really something.

BTW, just to make the statement clear, he's saying "I'm the best rapper alive since Jay-Z retired." And many agree with that.

he's alright. definatly not the best though. don't forget that nas and rakim are still out there. as are eminem and ll cool j. sure lil wayne can flow, but he just can't piece his lyrics as masterfully together as these guys. i can't forget ludacris and outkast (yes, andre 3000 AND big boi). and while i'm thinking about it, you also have ghostface killa, rakwon and method man from wu tang. as you can see, there are waaaaay too many rappers out right now that can easily in the same league if not above lil wayne. i can go on and on with the many rappers that i hold above lil wayne, but i don't have all night.

^There are definately many other rappers out there that could be put higher or next to him in the "best category" but that's where his age comes in. The rappers you listed are definately all very good, but most of them are much older than(in terms of the rap industry), and have been in the mainstream rap industry much longer than Lil Wayne, who's only 23.

I've always been a bit confused why Jay-Z is hyped so much as well. I listen to a lot of Jay-Z, he is one of my favorites, but I think its his beats that make him so popular. Keep in mind that some of his best were produced by Kanye West...who in my opinion isn't that great of a lyricist, haha.

I agree that Lil Wayne is pretty good. I'm not sure yet to rate him the best yet though. It really will depend on who can put out the best back to back albums.

It's very difficult to rate someone at the top in the hip-hop industry. You have to have good flow, good lines, and good beats to pull it all together. Many individual rappers have at least come out with one good album that does this, but then the rest of their albums just fall apart. The best rapper will continue to maintain the strength of all three album to album.

So basically I'm a bit biased. I'm part of the OKAY community as my signature indicates. It's pretty obvious I'm going to stand behind my man Kweli or Blackthought of the Roots and Common.

I'm not huge fan of the mainstream rap anyways, and I can't stand Lil Wayne, mostly because i figure he's so overhyped. My favorite mainstream rappers are Bone Thugs-N-Harmony, Three 6 Mafia (especilly older stuff) and DMX.Other than that I stick to underground stuff, mostly out of Flint, MI and some Detroit stuff.

I can't pick a favorite. I was always an Eric B. and Rakim fan, and I used to dig Salt N Pepa (stop laughing) and Pete Rock and C.L. Smooth back in the day. These days, I like Paul Wall (obviously), Talib Kweli, Common and The Roots.

As far as runners-up go, I'd say LL Cool J and the Beasties for consistency, Snoop for the "weirdly likable" factor, and Jay-Z and Kanye for the arrogance.

In my mind, All Bay Area (my hometown) artists, Keak da Sneak (inventor of the word yadadamean), E-40 (ambassdor of the bay), Mac Dre (The late rapper from the hills of Vallejo who invented the thizzle dance), Yukmouth, The Team, Federation, Frontline, Luniz (I got 5 on it), San Quinn, Tupac, Too Short, Keisha Coles, Turf Talk, JT the bigga figga, Ray Luv, Mac Mall, even the Game (from LA but ran with JT). In Roanoke, the city where I live right now, Poe Mack, Tremendous, Illbotz, DJ Samson, DJ Crunk, Young Dudley (RIP), Case Jones, and many more, I just cant think.

Ima go with Jadakiss. He has a real vibe to him and I loved his last album. Jay Z sometimes seems to overated but I respect him. Lil Wayne is really making his way out and I see him being an important rapper over the next few years. Him and the rest of the crew down in NO. Most Atlanta rappers have no talent and basically just make crunk songs.

Ima go with Jadakiss. He has a real vibe to him and I loved his last album. Jay Z sometimes seems to overated but I respect him. Lil Wayne is really making his way out and I see him being an important rapper over the next few years. Him and the rest of the crew down in NO. Most Atlanta rappers have no talent and basically just make crunk songs.

Not all of them are bad. You got Outkast, T.I. I think im the only one who likes field mobb though.

Not all of them are bad. You got Outkast, T.I. I think im the only one who likes field mobb though.

In general I agree with Noneck, but I do agree that at least Outcast has some real talent, but their really not my style. TI is a little more questionable, at least to me.

Archived