Griffins Hockey and WOOD TV

Since from time to time we analyze the local media, I had to mention this and see what you all thought. The Griffins were in the second round of the playoffs and none of us would have ever imagined there would be a game seven. They were so good all season, I figured their challenges would not be coming until June. After they lost Monday night, game seven took place last night (a less-than 24 hour turn around) and a game on a Tuesday evening. It is minor league hockey and very last minute, the crowd of under 3000 didn't surprise me. I desperately wanted to go, but my wife had plans. I listened to every minute on the radio and LOVED their awesome come-from-behind WIN!!

Then I saw a promo on TV 8 for the news. The reporter said, "The biggest game in Griffins history and how come I'm sitting here alone?" Showing him in an empty section of VAA.

I'm so excited for Griffin's playoffs this year as other I know are, but I was upset channel 8 seemed to be reporting the most negative thing they could find about it. Does this bother anyone else?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This morning they aired a small interview clip with Bob Sack talking about why the seats were empty.

I HATE TV 8 sometimes - it seems like they highlight the negatives of any story they air.

I would have given my left leg to go last night - alas hubby had other plans.

SNIP I desperately wanted to go, but my wife had plans. I listened to every minute on the radio and LOVED their awesome come-from-behind WIN!!

Then I saw a promo on TV 8 for the news. The reporter said, "The biggest game in Griffins history and how come I'm sitting here alone?" Showing him in an empty section of VAA.

I'm so excited for Griffin's playoffs this year as other I know are, but I was upset channel 8 seemed to be reporting the most negative thing they could find about it. Does this bother anyone else?

An empty arena becomes an asset for the visiting team. Much like you having plans and not being able to go, many others also did the same thing. Teams that show up to a full house feed off the energy of the crowd, which is why it is essential for the home team to get the first goal and get the crowd worked up as quickly as possible.

Wood TV 8 was very effective in that they got you mad about it, you mention it to a few people and remind them that there is playoff hockey going on downtown, and people start to plan ahead to attend the games even if it goes into game 7!

I would have gone, but I don

Yes, it does bother me.

During the regular season, attendance at AHL games across the league averaged 5487 per game. During the playoffs, attendance has dropped to 4107 per game, a drop of 1380 (25%) from regular season. So, it isn't all that unusual for attendance to drop during the playoffs.

(Also, during the regular season, attendance at GR home games averaged 6548, well above the league average.)

I'm going to go to game 2 of this next series. It's Saturday night, May 20th at Van Andel Arena. It will be the 1st Griffins game I've been to since December. Who else is going to come along and cheer on the team?

I'll probably be there. What we've been doing is buying cheapest seats available day of the game and moving down into the good seats.

That's the news reporter's job...to report the negative. Their target audience doesn't care about the positive. They need something to worry about.

Why do you think the weather is always reported with such drama. "Oh my God, I better catch the weather tonight to make sure I'm going to be safe tomorrow in my airconditioned car as I drive to my airconditioned office and sit in front of my little computer." I work outside and I care less about the weather than most!

Milwaukee had something like 3,300 fans last night. I wonder why minor league playoff crowds are so low? Its the last chance to hockey until the fall :huh:

Too bad the Griffins have been getting their asses handed to them so far. They are down 3 games to nil. :(

Why do you think the weather is always reported with such drama. "Oh my God, I better catch the weather tonight to make sure I'm going to be safe tomorrow in my airconditioned car as I drive to my airconditioned office and sit in front of my little computer." I work outside and I care less about the weather than most!
I love how Bill Steffen gets excited and breathless when he is forecasting or reporting on bad weather. I sense he is gets very disappointed when forecasts for bad weather don't pan out.

Well, I just want to say thanks to the Griffins for another exciting year of hockey. I figure this about the end of this discussion. :cry:

What a great team they provide for us each year...now we just need to get that Calder Cup. (C'mon, it's the CALDER cup, we're the CALDER city - it's about time! :) )

Even though we can't seem to get the big prize, it's great that we're always competitive!!

Thanks guys!!!

Well, I just want to say thanks to the Griffins for another exciting year of hockey. I figure this about the end of this discussion. :cry:

What a great team they provide for us each year...now we just need to get that Calder Cup. (C'mon, it's the CALDER cup, we're the CALDER city - it's about time! :) )

Even though we can't seem to get the big prize, it's great that we're always competitive!!

Thanks guys!!!

A great season indeed. Couldn't ask for much more besides the big prize. Maybe Howard will be in goal next year to get another season of pro hockey under his belt before going to the bigs. It seems like the Griffins have done everything in their ten season but win the title.

On a side note, the Calder Cup sounds much better for GR instead of the Turner Cup from the old IHL.

Archived