MEM still no. 1 in the world for cargo

sleepy

There was an article in today's Memphis Business Journal--I think this is the 10th straight year that the airport is no. 1 in cargo.

http://www.airports.org/cda/aci/display/ma...-5-54-190_9_2__

MEM is no. 27th in the world for total aircraft movements.

http://www.airports.org/cda/aci/display/ma...1-5-54-57_9_2__

37th in the US for passengers.

http://www.aci-na.org/asp/traffic.asp?art=215

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can believe that.... The FedEx super hub is huge. I looked at the google satellite of KMEM and there were 90 planes either being loaded or unloaded and that wasn't even during the busy hours of the airport. At my Dads house ,which is north of the I-40 and I-240 interchange, I see a northwest(mostly Airbus 320, and 737s) or Fedex plane(mostly 727, DC-10, or Airbus 300s) fly over every 2 minutes. Occasionally I will see a C-5 Galaxy from the 164th airlift wing flying by or a couple of F-18 hornets or F-16 falcons rocket by(and man they are loud!). Futhermore, I was driving on I-55 south and looked over to my left towards the airport and saw a Northwest DC-10 taking off. I would say KMEM gets its fair share of traffic.

Ha ha Nashville doesn't have anything on us.

http://www.norwichbulletin.com/apps/pbcs.d...348/1048/NEWS01

Could've been my area... the local historical columnist was a state senator back in the day, and wanted to build a massive airport for shipping purposes only. Given our location in the Megalopolis and not too far from trans-Atlantic flight paths, I can't help but think a FedEx type company would have flourished here. Instead of that, it looks like the area is going to sell itself out to this company proposing a Disney World sized movie studios/theme park/performing arts college.

Here's a question: How can Memphis accomodate growth in air traffic? MEM still has a *little* room to expand, particularly in cargo. Can Millington be used in some way? It seems hard to imagine how unless it's used for maintenance for FedEx (freeing up space to expand the hub) and for non-FedEx cargo. I'm thinking like 10-20 years down the road.

edit: when i say MEM has *little* room for growth, i think that it has more room for growth in passenger ops than in cargo. carry on.

that's great news you should repost in the tennessee general section so that everyone in nashville can see!

Fedex has an enormus impact on the state and its great that their based out of Memphis. However, I think DHL will be a challege to Fedex in the future. Where is their North American HQ based? Wish they would relocate here. But if it does get posted in the Tennessee forum, don't rub it in :) That'll just be insecurity.

We have the 27th busiest runways in the world (#1 at night) and anyone thats new to Memphis can tell. I grew up in Memphis and thought that many planes was normal, but when I moved to Nashville, I was suprised by the lack of planes. Over in the Nashville forum, I posted about how after airspace was closed after 9/11, we talked about how weird the silence was. I think I posted a statistic that said that MEM has an average of 3 planes taking off or landing every 5 minutes.

Here's a question: How can Memphis accomodate growth in air traffic? MEM still has a *little* room to expand, particularly in cargo. Can Millington be used in some way? It seems hard to imagine how unless it's used for maintenance for FedEx (freeing up space to expand the hub) and for non-FedEx cargo. I'm thinking like 10-20 years down the road.

edit: when i say MEM has *little* room for growth, i think that it has more room for growth in passenger ops than in cargo. carry on.

Millington, West Memphis (already the reliever airport), Olive Branch (space for expansion maybe a problem soon), Tunica. I think thats the reason some operations have moved to Indy. We need to try to attract the Fedex IT jobs back here.

Ha ha Nashville doesn't have anything on us.

That's a little provincial I think.

That airport is quite a sight though at night. I remember about 7 yr. ago driving up from New Orleans, and the flight pattern that night must have been from the south. Starting around Batesville MS you could just them spaced apart in the sky for miles.

Also, I ate at Catfish Cabin on Brooks/Airways one evening when NWA had one of their banks coming in. It seemed to be 50% those little commuter jets which made quite a racket and were all about 100 ft. over our table.

It would be cool to see how Memphis ranks in rail traffic as well. 15-25 freight trains pass my house every day, and most of them are carrying 100+ cars.

I have read that Memphis has the 3rd largest number of RR trunk lines after Chicago and St. Louis. I'm not sure I've ever read anything about the RR tonnage transported through Memphis. I think those stats for "who's biggest" would be hard to quantify since you'd have to distinguish between passing through and loaded/unloaded. I suspect Kansas City is up there as well.

http://www.norwichbulletin.com/apps/pbcs.d...348/1048/NEWS01

Could've been my area... the local historical columnist was a state senator back in the day, and wanted to build a massive airport for shipping purposes only. Given our location in the Megalopolis and not too far from trans-Atlantic flight paths, I can't help but think a FedEx type company would have flourished here. Instead of that, it looks like the area is going to sell itself out to this company proposing a Disney World sized movie studios/theme park/performing arts college.

FedEx wanted a centrally located warm-weather airport when it started. Initially, its business model was such that if you sent a package from Denver to Phoenix, it would first fly to Memphis, then be sorted and put on the plane to Phoenix. That wouldn't have worked as well for an airport in the Northeast.

Nowadays of course, FedEx has hubs all over the US. In terms of international flights--Asia, Europe, and Latin America, for much of the country Memphis is as accessible in terms of geography as the Northeast.

Fedex has an enormus impact on the state and its great that their based out of Memphis. However, I think DHL will be a challege to Fedex in the future. Where is their North American HQ based? Wish they would relocate here. But if it does get posted in the Tennessee forum, don't rub it in :) That'll just be insecurity.

We have the 27th busiest runways in the world (#1 at night) and anyone thats new to Memphis can tell. I grew up in Memphis and thought that many planes was normal, but when I moved to Nashville, I was suprised by the lack of planes. Over in the Nashville forum, I posted about how after airspace was closed after 9/11, we talked about how weird the silence was. I think I posted a statistic that said that MEM has an average of 3 planes taking off or landing every 5 minutes.

Millington, West Memphis (already the reliever airport), Olive Branch (space for expansion maybe a problem soon), Tunica. I think thats the reason some operations have moved to Indy. We need to try to attract the Fedex IT jobs back here.

Aren't the IT jobs in Collierville? Indy is getting cargo jobs...

and I think DHL's American hq is in Florida (Miami).

Before you MEM fans rub this in the face of us BNA folks, take a look at Hong Kong. Their Cargo grew by 10% last year compared to Memphis 1%. If that stays the same, Memphis could drop to number 2 as early as next year.

Does anyone have the historical data? Has growth at Memphis slowed? I don't know what effects DHL or UPS have had, but I can tell you my company switched to DHL and many other companies we know are switching to UPS. I don't recall anything I've ever shipped through FedEx and I'm not really sure why.

It doesn't matter what Hong Kong does. They've been aiming for Memphis for the past decade. Even if HK does emerge (possible given the strength of Asian markets), it will be temporary. Dubai is looking to flex.

I wonder if Memphis can expand north (take over the rental cars, move them west by the four points) and/or east (seems to be industrial over there). Maybe move maintenance to millington? Just throwing out ideas.

Before you MEM fans rub this in the face of us BNA folks, take a look at Hong Kong. Their Cargo grew by 10% last year compared to Memphis 1%. If that stays the same, Memphis could drop to number 2 as early as next year.

Does anyone have the historical data? Has growth at Memphis slowed? I don't know what effects DHL or UPS have had, but I can tell you my company switched to DHL and many other companies we know are switching to UPS. I don't recall anything I've ever shipped through FedEx and I'm not really sure why.

Unless FedEx begins to expand MEM tremendously, Hong Kong is definitely going to take over the number one spot; however, FX is starting to expand. With the TANG land swap, hundreds of acres are open to FedEx at the airport (some are going to build a 13-story hanger for the A380)...furthermore, if it comes down to it, FedEx can take over to the interstate and demolish those abandoned warehouses that act as a buffer between 240 and the airport. Also, Memphis is supposed to get more international routes as FedEx expands service to China. Not trying to rub it in the face of BNA folks, but seriously...MEM is ahead of Hong Kong and cities about 15 times our size...woo woo MEM!!!!

Unless FedEx begins to expand MEM tremendously, Hong Kong is definitely going to take over the number one spot; however, FX is starting to expand. With the TANG land swap, hundreds of acres are open to FedEx at the airport (some are going to build a 13-story hanger for the A380)...furthermore, if it comes down to it, FedEx can take over to the interstate and demolish those abandoned warehouses that act as a buffer between 240 and the airport. Also, Memphis is supposed to get more international routes as FedEx expands service to China. Not trying to rub it in the face of BNA folks, but seriously...MEM is ahead of Hong Kong and cities about 15 times our size...woo woo MEM!!!!

It's great bragging rights that other cities, and our own malcontents (Calipari's "miserables" :)), can't interpret in a way to make Memphis look bad. An achievement the other two divisions in the state can't deny.

I am interested to see exactly what is available out there for the airport to expand into, if pax and cargo expand to capacity, moving belly freight toward Shelby Drive, expanding UPS to its capacity. I didn't know that the warehouses to the north were abandoned. Maybe move rental cars closer to the intermodal transit center. What about the land to the east? I know there's that pocket of small businesses to the east of the runways between TANG and UPS. But how about the land to the east of the world hub, north of winchester?

It's great bragging rights that other cities, and our own malcontents (Calipari's "miserables" :)), can't interpret in a way to make Memphis look bad. An achievement the other two divisions in the state can't deny.

I am interested to see exactly what is available out there for the airport to expand into, if pax and cargo expand to capacity, moving belly freight toward Shelby Drive, expanding UPS to its capacity. I didn't know that the warehouses to the north were abandoned. Maybe move rental cars closer to the intermodal transit center. What about the land to the east? I know there's that pocket of small businesses to the east of the runways between TANG and UPS. But how about the land to the east of the world hub, north of winchester?

IMHO, all of the dives along Brooks Road and where the rental car spots are now could be torn down and give way to expansion. If it comes down to FedEx ever leaving MEM, I believe you'll see all of the area delivered on a silver platter to FedEx to do as it pleases.

The airport's master plan for passenger terminal expansion calls for additional concourses to be constructed between the runways south of the existing terminal. There is sufficient room for two 60-gate "X" shaped terminals to be built, interconnected by a subterrainian light rail system similar to that of ATL. There are also provisions for another landside terminal to be built off of Shelby Drive. These plans might have been altered since they were drawn up in 1986, but the basic idea is that any passenger expansion would be to the south. The fuel farm, post office and flight kitchen would have to be relocated.

There are many options for FedEx hub expansion if necessary. Current plans focus on the TANG property, which will be transferred in 2008, and the new A380 ramp/hangar being constructed along Winchester. After that, the next options might be the land to the east of Tchulahoma, going all the way to the railroad that parallels Lamar Ave. Most of that land is parking lot and a neighborhood which is long overdue for an airport buyout, anyway.

Should the airport require a fourth parallel runway, one could be built on top of what is now Airways. The road would be relocated about 750ft to the west, onto land already owned by the Airport Authority and cleared of homes years ago.

In summary, MEM has enough space to accommodate 4 or 5 times its current passenger traffic, and FedEx could probably expand its capacity by 50 to 75%.

The airport's master plan for passenger terminal expansion calls for additional concourses to be constructed between the runways south of the existing terminal. There is sufficient room for two 60-gate "X" shaped terminals to be built, interconnected by a subterrainian light rail system similar to that of ATL. There are also provisions for another landside terminal to be built off of Shelby Drive. These plans might have been altered since they were drawn up in 1986, but the basic idea is that any passenger expansion would be to the south. The fuel farm, post office and flight kitchen would have to be relocated.

There are many options for FedEx hub expansion if necessary. Current plans focus on the TANG property, which will be transferred in 2008, and the new A380 ramp/hangar being constructed along Winchester. After that, the next options might be the land to the east of Tchulahoma, going all the way to the railroad that parallels Lamar Ave. Most of that land is parking lot and a neighborhood which is long overdue for an airport buyout, anyway.

Should the airport require a fourth parallel runway, one could be built on top of what is now Airways. The road would be relocated about 750ft to the west, onto land already owned by the Airport Authority and cleared of homes years ago.

In summary, MEM has enough space to accommodate 4 or 5 times its current passenger traffic, and FedEx could probably expand its capacity by 50 to 75%.

This is great insight. Is it based on information you gathered from people in the know, or just speculation? I presume you have connections, especially given the statements re the runway.

Whats the airport land south of Shelby Drive for? Can that land be used for airport expansion? I dunno about the airport expanding all the way down to Lamar (atleast between the Stateline and Winchester). Maybe to Tchulahoma because there are too many warehouses and distribution centers to relocate on and past Getwell. Off topic, but some of those are wholesale stores that sells great stuff with deep discounts. Some of the stuff is returned but the things I bought from these stores are in great condition :thumbsup:

that's great news you should repost in the tennessee general section so that everyone in nashville can see!

everybody in nashville has known that memphis has a huge (and i mean HUGE) cargo business for a long long time. i'm glad ya'll have it. it helps the whole state and the southeast. whatever is good for memphis is good for nashville. we should be happy for each cities blessings.

This is great insight. Is it based on information you gathered from people in the know, or just speculation? I presume you have connections, especially given the statements re the runway.

The information on the passenger terminal expansion comes from a 1986 Master Plan that I have. I will try to dig it out sometime and post some of it. Better yet, I will see if I can get the updated version from the airport authority.

There are no formal plans that I'm aware of to extend the hub/ramp beyond Tchulahoma, or to replace Airways with a fourth parallel runway. These are, however, longer term options. The easternmost runway was built on top of what used to be Swinnea Rd., so they could do something similar on the other side if traffic demands necessitated it. Just about anything can be moved out to make way for airport expansion. Probably the only hard barriers are Nonconnah Creek to the north and I-55 to west.

Archived