Madison and Ridgeland

tombarnes

Renaissance at Colony Park....A New "Lifestyle" Office/Shopping Center Planned for Madison

The Renaissance at Colony Park will include offices for Merrill Lynch, a Hyatt Place Hotel as well as stores like Parisian (similar to Nordstrom). The development looks very nice, but I'm sad to see this happening in Madison instead of in downtown Jackson. Something like this could strengthen JAckson's downtown core. Perhaps a second core will eventually develop in Madison. In any event, the project looks attractive enough.

The Clarion Ledger

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Renaissance at Colony Park....A New "Lifestyle" Office/Shopping Center Planned for Madison

The Renaissance at Colony Park will include offices for Merrill Lynch, a Hyatt Place Hotel as well as stores like Parisian (similar to Nordstrom). The development looks very nice, but I'm sad to see this happening in Madison instead of in downtown Jackson. Something like this could strengthen JAckson's downtown core. Perhaps a second core will eventually develop in Madison. In any event, the project looks attractive enough.

The Clarion Ledger

I guess downtown dept. stores are just a thing of the past.

Any estimates on how many people live in downtown Jackson? Perhaps with enough residential development, it could support a Target.

Does anyone know if the Parisian will be like the prototype store that is at Carriage Crossing in Collierville, TN? I've been to another prototype store like that one, and I believe those are more along the lines of competition for Nordstrom (they really aren't anywhere along the lines of Bloomies)...however, a regular Parisian is just like a McRae's...nothing to write home about. Hope for a prototype!!!!

After reading the article, I'd guess that the new store will be more along the lines of Nordstrom. This is going into an affluent area, so I'd expect something better than what was offered at McRae's.

As for downtown apartments/condos in Jackson, here's a short list off the top of my head. It is by no means complete.

Plaza Building

Electric Building

Standard Life Building- to be converted into apartments in 2007-2008

King Edward Hotel- mixed-use including loft apartments- completion in 2008

Fondren Place (Duling School)- will include condominiums and shops

Bailey Medical Towers- will include at least one high-rise (16stories?) of apartments/condos- construction to begin in 2007

Park Central- Fondren

Flowood Town Center- not in Jackson, but a New Urbanist development in a northern suburb

The Plaza and Electric Building renovations have been completed and both buildings are occupied, though the total number of unts is not large. Loft apartments are beginning to appear in various locations around the downtown area. The Dickie's Building has recebtly been turned into loft apartments. Several other buildings have also undergone a similar transformation. It is expected that the developments in the Farish Street entertainment district will include apartments and condos, not to mention the Old Capitol Green project. Nerw condos and apartments are planned for the Ross Barnett Reservoir at HarborWalk ans the town of Lost Rabbit will include luxury condos as well as houses. Other projects are being built as well.

Another very large project near the Medical Center is in the offing. More details soon.

After reading the article, I'd guess that the new store will be more along the lines of Nordstrom. This is going into an affluent area, so I'd expect something better than what was offered at McRae's.

I really didn't get this impression...it was describing the entire chain as being along the lines of Nordstrom or Bloomies...it really is more along the lines of a classy McRae's, so I'll be interested to see how it turns out.

• 2 weeks later...

I really didn't get this impression...it was describing the entire chain as being along the lines of Nordstrom or Bloomies...it really is more along the lines of a classy McRae's, so I'll be interested to see how it turns out.

I was under the impression that it was going to be a Parisians store which is more upscale than McRae's, Dillards, or Belks along the lines of Nordstroms or Macys but less upscale than Saks Fifth Avenue or Neiman Marcus. Here's a link to the story:

www.bizjournals.com/birmingham/stories/2006/05/15/daily12.html

I was under the impression that it was going to be a Parisians store which is more upscale than McRae's, Dillards, or Belks along the lines of Nordstroms or Macys but less upscale than Saks Fifth Avenue or Neiman Marcus. Here's a link to the story:

www.bizjournals.com/birmingham/stories/2006/05/15/daily12.html

I'd say Parisian is between Macy's and Nordstrom. Macy's used to be great, but since they've expanded so much over the past few years, only a few are particularly nice. The flagship Oak Court Macy's in Memphis is pretty nice and has a restaurant and other boutiques, but the others are pretty blah. Nordstrom is very nice and I'd say is more affluent than Parisian...

• 1 year later...

Harbour Pointe Approved by Council

The $25m Harbour Pointe project has been approved by the Madison city council. This will be in a wooded area in Ridgeland. I'll post something more as soon as I can find a rendering or more information on this project. It is composed of restaurants and shops.

The Clarion Ledger

• 2 months later...

Controversy Over Tower- Renaissance at Colony Park

A group of residents is unhappy with the proposed 17 story tower at the Renaissance at Colony Park. For the life of me, I can't see why they are upset. Do these people simply hate all development? A 17 story office building will do nothing but bring money to the area. I wish they would stop the NIMBY behavior.

The Clarion-Ledger

Controversy Over Tower- Renaissance at Colony Park

A group of residents is unhappy with the proposed 17 story tower at the Renaissance at Colony Park. For the life of me, I can't see why they are upset. Do these people simply hate all development? A 17 story office building will do nothing but bring money to the area. I wish they would stop the NIMBY behavior.

The Clarion-Ledger

I would prefer to see that sort of building in downtown Jackson. However, it seems likely that it will be built in Ridgeland. Ridgeland, by the way, is not exactly an area without commercial development. I'd be much happier to see all of it built downtown, but it may be unrealistic to assume that relatively affluent Ridgeland will remain free from large developments. It might be a better approach for this group to ask for a design review. If this were in Madison, I feel sure that it would have to go through a more rigorous design process.

A Note of Caution...

While I may have spoken yesterday in favor of this proposed tower, its reality may prove to be dangerous. Why? It is now apparent that the builders of said tower intend to entice one of downtown Jackson's stalwart business anchors, Regions Bank, located in the AmSouth Plaza. From a mere physical or architectural vantage point, I have absolutely no problem with the tower going up. Obviously, this area is growing, and complaining about a relatively stumpy tower isn't going to stop the growth. I am at pains, however, to voice support for a tower which will directly cannibalize the city center which supports the area. If Jackson's businesses flee to the suburbs, the core left behind will be hollow. This exodus wlll be bad for the area as a whole. So I'll change my full support of this project to a guarded Maybe until such time as it can be filled without draining downtown Jackson of its life blood.

The Clarion-Ledger

Isn't that highrise hotel - Hilton? - on County Line at I-55 also in Ridgeland? (I forget which side of the road it's actually on) It seems Ridgeland should be no stranger to tall buildings...

As far as offices vacating DT, I have mixed feelings too. With a market-driven economy, Jackson never could afford to neglect their DT, but they did for decades and are just now barely beginning to wake up to that fact. I feel sorry for them, but at the same time I cannot fault the developers. I wouldn't build in DT either...

I believe the Hilton is just at the edge of the line, but is still in Jackson proper. I may be mistaken. As for the revival of downtown Jackson, it is finally beginning to happen, but these defections of high-profile companies make it difficult for the renaissance to proceed. One thought raised on the discussion boards of the Jackson Free Press suggests the possibility of people living in downtown Jackson and working in the surrounding suburbs. While this is a sweet idea, things don't usually work out that way, in spite of the fact that the reverse is the usual pattern. I don't want to lay the burden of all of Jackson's ills at the feet of Mr. Melton, but his lack of real leadership has harmed the city. The development in downtown Jackson has mostly occurred in spite of him rather than because of his leadership. Until there is better leadership from above, Jackson may continue to see its residents flee, whether or not their reasons are due to mis-perceptions of the crime rate.

Work is progressing on the Colony Park development. I passed by it today. It's going to be nice - a typical lifestyle center, but nice. P.F. Chang's looks open/almost open.

I also saw that orange balloon marking the height of the proposed 17-story building. It will be taller than all of its surroundings.

Does anyone know what's going on between Madison and Gluckstadt, fronting on I-55? It looks like several more office buildings under construction...

• 1 month later...

Council Approves Renaissance Office Tower at 13 Stories

After a meeting lasting well into the night, the Ridgeland City Council has approved a 13 story office building which will be the centerpiece of the Renaissance at Colony Park. I'm not against the hieght of this building, but I don't relish the thought of the exodus it will cause from downtown Jackson. A moderately tall building isn't going to hurt Ridgeland, but it could cause grave harm to the center city.

The Jackson Free Press

More on this from the Clarion-Ledger

If this building were worth the fight it's caused, I might be happier to see it go up. In the new rendering, it appears even more undistinguished.

• 1 month later...

Still More for Madison....

Yet another mixed-use development will be going up in Madison. This one will be called Park Place and purports to offer a mix of restaurants, offices, shops and a supposedly "five star" hotel. The small plot on the site map for the hotel would suggest something vertical, though one can't be sure in acrophobic Madison.

The Clarion-Ledger

• 1 month later...

Office Building For Highland Colony Parkway

A mixed-use building with offices and commercial space will be built near the Town of Lost Rabbit on Highland Colony Parkway. The three storied building will contain mostly offices, but could also include commercial tenants. This is particularly important as the land it occupies is an important gap in the emerging commercial district.

The Clarion-Ledger

Wow, suburban Jackson has some impressive developments!

Wonder if the 13-story office tower in Ridgeland has broke ground yet?? The postive it shows Jackson Metro itself is coming up with something that height that far from downtown; gives the look of a bigger city in some ways. But the negative is it would have been a nice addition to Jackson's skyline.

Archived