an apology to those offended by the term "dirty south".

tony speller

does things like "dirty souf" really offend people that much? Whatever. I will apologize then since I noticed that my thread was locked after monsoon's post.

Every region in the US is picked on. I'm from Michigan... do you think I'm deaf to the endless amounts of Detroit jokes, etc? I guess since i didn't make a funny name for every region, it would assume as though i would be picking on places in the south.

Here's to posting a little drunk.

Since I don't know anyone on this board personally, and since I've obviously offended a majority of posters, I'll just remove myself.

It was a good few days. Later!

EDIT: I guess you can't cancel your account. maybe I will end up posting here every now and then still, who knows.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is your choice, however I hate to see you go. I explained why the term was not appreciated and I or one of the other moderators here would have closed it if something similar was said about anywhere else. I assume you simply did not understand and hopefully you do now.

"dirty souf" is something southern rappers started to say as a catch phrase, it means nothing (and if it does its taken as a complement) so lighten up. I would also suggest re-opening that pole, edit the "dirty souf" thing or not, but don't get all twisted up over nothing.

i'm not getting all twisted up. i just didn't think people on this board would be so touchy. It's not a bad thing, just not what I expected being on a few other message boards. I guess it's a person's right though to be touchy on subjects refering to their home town... espcially if they think theya re degrading.

But yeah, I won't "leave" leave. I'll just post every once in a while until i get a better feel of how people on this board react to certain things. the last thing i want is internet drama. That is, quite possibly, the stupidest thing around these days.

and the "dirty souf" reference... i never meant it as a put-down or as a term of endearment. Like I said... I was drunk and probably trying to be goofy.

later

The reason for closing that post was to avoid what you call "internet drama". Unlike many message boards, we simply don't allow fights and drama to occur between members. While you consider the term "dirty souf" harmless some people won't, then its left to the staff here to deal with the subsequent mess to get the topic back on track. Its a lot of work for us as dealing with this kind of thing takes a lot of our time and we would rather spend time on the reasons we are here in the first place. So all of the staff here is going to stop potential problems before they occur. Some don't like it, but we get emails and PMs all the time thanking us for keep this place focused on topics and for the civil tone of the discussions.

"dirty souf" is something southern rappers started to say as a catch phrase, it means nothing (and if it does its taken as a complement) so lighten up. I would also suggest re-opening that pole, edit the "dirty souf" thing or not, but don't get all twisted up over nothing.

Should we allow the "N word" here because some Black rappers choose to use the term? Sorry I don't think this genre of artists should be used as the yard stick for what is appropriate here or not.

Archived