Bye Bye Blue

GR1

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it is a good idea. I payed the extra $5 at the time for the colorful one with the bridge, and I think it looks much nicer.

I know this will cost a little bit of money, but it's one of those things that should be done. Considering that it may help law enforcement if the plates were more visible, I'm all for it.

For those of us who were only 3 years old in 1982 - what were the plates prior to solid blue?

I too will miss the blue, but I do like the specialty plates that are offered. I have a GVSU plate on my Jeep (Although I didn't renew it since I'm not driving it and it is for sale...).

For those of us who were only 3 years old in 1982 - what were the plates prior to solid blue?
They were black. I was still quite young, but I remember those ugly plates.

1982-present:

SA-MI-1983ND.jpg

1978-1983:

SA-MI-1979.jpg

1976-1978:

SA-MI-1976.jpg

1973-1975:

SA-MI-1973.jpg

1971-1972:

SA-MI-1971.jpg

1970:

SA-MI-1970.jpg

1968-1969:

SA-MI-1968.jpg

1965-1967:

SA-MI-1965.jpg

I would have kept the Superior Blue one forever! I think it is the most distinctive Michigan plate, and I like it more than any of the other new ones for the simple fact that it is the most identifiable. It's always great to see a solid blue plate when you're out of state. You know instantly that it is from Michigan.

I just think that they should update the technology but leave the color.

I love my blue plate! I think all the other "special" design plates are silly. Not looking forward to whatever they dream up for the new plate. As Nancy Cassis the only lawmaker to vote against the changed plate said "Certainly Michigan drivers, I believe, can live with our own blue license plate until our economy and our state revenues turn around."

Surely, there are more important issues to be tackling in Lansing. Just my $.02.

I like the ones from 76-78, the one from 1970 make me want to barf.

You aren't the only one. The numbers on those plates were almost impossible to see, and the State Police (I think) made the Secretary of State's office change them after only one year. That's why they are a 1970 issue only.

In the old days, license plate colors were selected to commemorate such events as the anniveraries of colleges, etc. That's why you would get blue and yellow, green and white, etc. plates every few years.

One more story -- one of the state Highway Commissioners (from GR, I think) was a huge Michigan fan. On one of the state maps published in the 1970s, he had inserted the mythical town of "goblu" on the portion of the map depicting the Toledo area. True story -- I have seen the "town."

I'm not sure this has been mentioned, but didn't California use to have a blue plate that looked JUST like Michigan's, the only difference was the lettering done in yellow?

I can't say that I'll miss the blue much, as I came to age when they started messing with the plates in the mid-90's, I think it was. So, I don't have quite the sentiment some other's have. What I do know is that the current plate is so pale it's hard to make anything out on it unless you get close.

I'd like to see a plate with a more striking symbol, perhaps a blue plate, but showing the outline of the state in green, or something to that effect, as the shape of Michigan is very unique.

I'd like to see a plate with a more striking symbol, perhaps a blue plate, but showing the outline of the state in green, or something to that effect, as the shape of Michigan is very unique.

I could deal with something like that. I also think it woulc be good to increase the font of the word "Michigan" and make it flat like the new plates instead of raised. I'm sure this will be done as part of the improved technology regardless of the design.

There is beauty in simplicity. I liked having just one plate. You could always tell someone from Michigan from a distance. I only hope that we do not go the way of Indiana and have a million plates with all kind of different things on them. If you want to spread a message, use a bumper sticker.

I DEFINTELY agree with that, mgman. A license plate needs to be bold, simplistic, or both to really work. You start mashing too many things together and it just gets busy and forgettable.

I really would like to see them prominently display the shape of the state on any new license plate, though, as it leaves no questions as to wear you're from. I can think of nothing more simple that defines the state any better.

I really would like to see them prominently display the shape of the state on any new license plate, though, as it leaves no questions as to wear you're from. I can think of nothing more simple that defines the state any better.

I thought about this when I first read the article. What if they used the same design for the "regular" plate as they do the specialty plates (white background, blue letters, and blue/white Michigan header), but instead of having the specialty logo on the left have the shape of the state.

Last week I was walking through the parking garage at Rivertown Crossings, and there are so many blue plates...I've started to notice them more after reading this I guess, the state has a lot of plates to replace.

• 1 month later...

Archived