Bye Bye Blue

GR1

Let me ask this. Why do we not need to put a license on both the front and the back like some other states do? I know that Illinois and Wisconsin have a front license.

although a front plate might help police where they need to identify from the front in a rare situation, I would hate that, personally I like cars a lot and a lot are not designed for a front plate mainly older models, I just think it looks taky and ugly, but I know a lot of people don;t car how their car looks really. I think it would probably also cost more for plates and just are not necesary.

also I think we should keep the blue plates they are easily identified as MI although close to some Iowa and conn plates

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let me ask this. Why do we not need to put a license on both the front and the back like some other states do? I know that Illinois and Wisconsin have a front license.

The SOS ditched front tags many years ago, probably in the Richard Austin days. Cost savings, what else? And so that entrepreneurs could hawk "fronts" with YOUR MESSAGE HERE.

I recall seeing a TV news report (one of those "hey, important scoop!" pieces) where there was a lot of fuss over cameras at intersections and how these would snap a photo of a scofflaw motorist who ran a light. They gave the example of the front of the car, clear picture of the driver, and the front tag. But they forgot to mention one minor detail (which is why it won't work here).

I love the blue plate. It works really well with our state because of the water. If it was changed I wouldn't mind the Great Lakes Slendor plate or something with the outline of the state. I love it when I am driving through Ohio (I hate driving in Ohio though) and see a car up ahead with a blue plate. I have even had someone shadow me down I-75, a fellow Michigander saw my plate and decided to stick close. If you get too many designs or one that isn't at bold, it wouldn't be the same...

On a similar note...WTF is this?

lakeerie0kn.png

No, no, no , no. Ohio, please stfu. Lake Erie is more Ontario's Great Lake than it is yours. I'd rather credit Canada with Lake Erie than the sorry state of Ohio! Ohio isn't the great lakes state, so I wish they would stop trying to be.

• 2 weeks later...

I like it. Very cool looking. The three different cities represented, the woods (softwood pine) of the UP and the Northeast Lower peninsula and the bridge. A little under-representitive of the rest of the state, i.e, southeast-southwest, mid-michigan and in my opinion Northwest Lower (we have forests but not that many pine forests). But then again, the blue plate represented nothing, IMO.

6th Gen,

I don't see any of Lansing in the skyline on the new plate. In fact, this is what I see from left to right:

1. Penobscot Building - Detroit

2. 150 West Jefferson Avenue - Detroit

3. Amway Grand Plaza Hotel - GR

4. (filler building)

5. One Woodward Avenue - Detroit

6. (filler building)

7. Renaissance Center - Detroit

I'm indifferent to it, though, I wish they'd make it more "striking." I'm not sure how they could do that, but it looks to abstract and in the background. There is nothing that instantly catches your eye, about it. Nothing about it, until closer inspection, says "Michigan" like the solid blue plate did.

6th Gen,

I don't see any of Lansing in the skyline on the new plate. In fact, this is what I see from left to right:

1. Penobscot Building - Detroit

2. 150 West Jefferson Avenue - Detroit

3. Amway Grand Plaza Hotel - GR

4. (filler building)

5. One Woodward Avenue - Detroit

6. (filler building)

7. Renaissance Center - Detroit

I'm indifferent to it, though, I wish they'd make it more "striking." I'm not sure how they could do that, but it looks to abstract and in the background. There is nothing that instantly catches your eye, about it. Nothing about it, until closer inspection, says "Michigan" like the solid blue plate did.

Hmm, I figured it was from left to right:

1. The Capital building - Lansing

2.) Unidentified

3.) Amway Grand Plaza - GR

4.) Forslund building - GR

5.) Plaza Towers - GR

6.) Ren Cen

I looked it up on the articles about the plate and it says it represents the skyline of Lansing, Grand Rapids, and Detroit.

This from the Detroit Free Press - http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article...30347/1007/NEWS

The RenCen is clearly recognizable as part of the composite cityscape in green across the top of the new plate, which will go on sale in January. Look closely and you'll see the state Capitol building to the far left and, in the middle, Grand Rapids' Amway Grand Plaza Hotel - giving central and west Michigan their props.

They sure had me fooled with the capitol. It's really a shame, though, that from afar the whole thing will just look like a blur, and largely indistiguishable from all of the other states that try to cram as much as they can to on their plates. I'm missing the blue already.

Archived