WSPA vs other local TV stations

goodbye

This thread was pulled from the Spartanburg Development thread, as it is not related to developments- Spartan

lynturner99, I assume you work for WSPA then, right? I personally would like to see News Channel 7 air more stories on new developments happening around the Upstate - yes, everywhere, including Greenville and Anderson. As I see it currently, WYFF News 4 does a much better job of reporting on these developments than WSPA. I think you're wrong about Greenville receiving too much coverage though. I enjoy every tidbit I can get on any new development, regardless of where it is happening in this region. The mindset at WSPA needs to change. What they don't realize is that they are reaching deep into the same market as WYFF, WLOS, and WHNS, all of which must report on stories involving the whole viewing audience, not just those living in the station's hometown. With the addition of the newscast at Bi-Lo in Powdersville, WSPA should seriously shift from reporting heavily on Spartanburg, and begin to diversify the information. I see far too many incidents when a really important story to many viewers in and around Greenville is substituted for a completely irrelevant story from another state. This is a perspective shared by thousands of potential viewers in the Upstate market.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I completely agree. I mean, I love that Channel 7 shows Spartanburg everything... but I think that it is kicking itself in the face by doing that. There should be more of an Upstate focus, but maybe with Spartanburg leanings. Channel 4 does more Upstate coverage, and I find that I like that. Channel 7 could very easily capitalize on being "not Greenville" which is pretty much dominated by 4.

Anyway, good Spartanburg stories that would get people interested in what is happening downtown are always great news to me.

Im not saying Greenville's developments aren't great, but I usually pitch stories that relate to me and my community. Other people here at the station do to. If an employee lives in Greer for example that person is likely to know whats going on in Greer and have a story idea from there. I live in Spartanburg and I feel it my duty to present the Spartanburg stories as others do their towns. But if you take for example the Carolina First "project pogo" coverage, as opposed to the Echostar coverage who will see my frustration. Both were unclosed deals, Echostar will bring twice as many jobs as Carolina First, but Greenville did a better job of creating an air of excitement. I realize the back story to Echostar, but Carolina First less decided on the Woodruff road location than I believe Echostar is on the Fairforest Park location and yet their were only a couple of quick stories done on that.

Im not saying Greenville's developments aren't great, but I usually pitch stories that relate to me and my community. Other people here at the station do to. If an employee lives in Greer for example that person is likely to know whats going on in Greer and have a story idea from there. I live in Spartanburg and I feel it my duty to present the Spartanburg stories as others do their towns. But if you take for example the Carolina First "project pogo" coverage, as opposed to the Echostar coverage who will see my frustration. Both were unclosed deals, Echostar will bring twice as many jobs as Carolina First, but Greenville did a better job of creating an air of excitement. I realize the back story to Echostar, but Carolina First less decided on the Woodruff road location than I believe Echostar is on the Fairforest Park location and yet their were only a couple of quick stories done on that.

Again, I am glad to hear coverage of any new development, but one thing you must realize is that there are far more people living in and around Greenville than Spartanburg, so rumors there are going to gain much quicker steam. As Spartan mentioned, the "Project Pogo" idea was a genious one. I would like all potentially large projects to follow that format. Remember Project Hudson? Turned out to be a food distribution center in The Matrix, but people were talking. I'd like to see Spartanburg announce undisclosed projects ahead of time in this manner as well. Imagine the anticipation and buzz it would create! :thumbsup:

Are there plans for the RR tracks? That track always seemed so odd to cut through such a wealthy neighborhood. I would think a nice trail would be a good replacement for the track, since it's so lightly used.

I disagree with skyliner. I think WSPA gives Greenville way to much coverage. Examples: The stories about the Greenville drive started to make me avoid the news. A little coverage is okay, but when they started to cover the asphalt that would be near the staduim!!!! I really enjoyed the first coverage, but then it started to get on my nerves like the Jamie Simpson rug and home commercials. Then there's the eco-star thing. I didn't even see it covered on TV, but the Pogo project was all over. Then, I think maybe this is a good thing because when it was released that Hubbell Lighting was leaning toward Spartanburg over Asheville and Savannah, Greenville steps in and steals the deal with a less lucrative package. I would be reluctant to release anything that was not "in the bag" in Spartanburg.

Actually, WSPA covered EchoStar before the other local stations. If you want to be reclusive and receive only information about things happening in Spartanburg, I understand your feelings, but I can honestly say that Greenville development news is by far a minority in the reporting at WSPA. I would like to see more Upstate development news and info on all of the local TV stations personally. In that department, WYFF currently achieves better results.

I have thought about how the TV stations cover their respective cities before. Actually I think it is perfectly ok for the different stations to focus on their own cities. In an area like this, that is very spread out with a lot of sizeable towns it only makes sense. Especially with each of the big three networks being in three different cities. I'm sure you all have noticed that channel 13 berely mentions the upstate, let alone Gville or Spart. But if I lived in Asheville I would want it that way, why would I want to hear ablout all the upstate's news? As you might imagine, I don't watch channel 13 news very often because it doesn't pertain to me. Likewise, if I lived in Spart. I would want a channel to show some Spart news. If Anderson had a station that had a news show, I would expect it to be primarily anderson news. Why does that cause such a problem? Let The Gville stations show Greenville events (primarily), Spartan channel show Spartan events, Asheville channel show Asheville events, and so on. Do we really want to hear ALL of the SAME news stories three times? I think there is already enough competition between the stations as it is; i.e. how every station tries to outdo the others with the fanciest weather dopplar radar. I am a major weather junkie, and even I tire of watching them try to build up their radar's just to prove they are superior to the other stations. (Actually if you want the best weather go to www.noaa.gov, click on national weather service on the left side and click on our area on the national map). Anyway, it is probably a good thing that our stations focus on different areas, it shows that our region is vast, diverse, and has enough going on that it can support three (or four if you count Fox 21 who actually does focus on the region as a whole) different newscasts.

I have thought about how the TV stations cover their respective cities before. Actually I think it is perfectly ok for the different stations to focus on their own cities. In an area like this, that is very spread out with a lot of sizeable towns it only makes sense. Especially with each of the big three networks being in three different cities. I'm sure you all have noticed that channel 13 berely mentions the upstate, let alone Gville or Spart. But if I lived in Asheville I would want it that way, why would I want to hear ablout all the upstate's news? As you might imagine, I don't watch channel 13 news very often because it doesn't pertain to me. Likewise, if I lived in Spart. I would want a channel to show some Spart news. If Anderson had a station that had a news show, I would expect it to be primarily anderson news. Why does that cause such a problem? Let The Gville stations show Greenville events (primarily), Spartan channel show Spartan events, Asheville channel show Asheville events, and so on. Do we really want to hear ALL of the SAME news stories three times? I think there is already enough competition between the stations as it is; i.e. how every station tries to outdo the others with the fanciest weather dopplar radar. I am a major weather junkie, and even I tire of watching them try to build up their radar's just to prove they are superior to the other stations. (Actually if you want the best weather go to www.noaa.gov, click on national weather service on the left side and click on our area on the national map). Anyway, it is probably a good thing that our stations focus on different areas, it shows that our region is vast, diverse, and has enough going on that it can support three (or four if you count Fox 21 who actually does focus on the region as a whole) different newscasts.

You must realize that all of these stations rely on ratings to help in gaining funding from headquarters. They all cover the same market, which stretches far beyond the small borders of their respective cities. And I know I am only one of many who actually do care about new developments in the entire region, because I get out and visit other interesting places. Bravo to WYFF News 4 for better adapting to the needs of the market. Hopefully the others will soon follow suit.

Of course, but you can't blame a station for focusing on its immediate market. In my opinion channel four does not spread its paint brush much wider than Channel seven. And Channel 13 is worse than both, though it is more understandable with being in a different state. Channel four also has a slightly different role than channel seven as it is the main station in the largest city in a larger area. Being the "center" of the upstate it is sort of required to cover a little of everything (though I think Fox 21 does this much better). Channel seven has a little different role. I also think maybe channel seven realized they can't effectively compete with channel four by reporting all the same news. They aim to ge ttheir rating by finding their own niche, namely focusing on Spartanburg. What is wrong with that? Isn't that what all the Sparkle folks keep talking about; that they want Spartanburg to focus more on itself and not try to compete with Gville all the time?

BTW, I AM interested in developments all over the upstate as I think the upstate is a whole package, more than just the sum of it's parts. But since I LIVE in Gville, I would naturally want to hear more Gville news than Spartanburg. And vice-versa if I lived in SParkle. I assure you I have visited many other places, in and out of the state, and have lived other places to. :P

In my opinion, all of our media stations suck, except for maybe WYFF. Fox Carolina is crime central. That's all they ever talk about is crime. It seems like every night all they have on for the first ten minutes are crime stories. WYFF is spending way too much time lately on identity theft, scams, shredding important documents, etc. Tell us something we don't know already. WSPA is worse; they are just so boring and dull. WLOS is ok, but they need to focus on more developments and progressions going on in Asheville and the rest of the region. When was the last time any of these stations spent some time talking about new developments or progressions going on in the region?

In my opinion, all of our media stations suck, except for maybe WYFF. Fox Carolina is crime central. That's all they ever talk about is crime. It seems like every night all they have on for the first ten minutes are crime stories. WYFF is spending way too much time lately on identity theft, scams, shredding important documents, etc. Tell us something we don't know already. WSPA is worse; they are just so boring and dull. WLOS is ok, but they need to focus on more developments and progressions going on in Asheville and the rest of the region. When was the last time any of these stations spent some time talking about new developments or progressions going on in the region?

Their focus on crime is why I don't normally watch local news (or national news for that matter). All they're doing is trying to scare gullible people, because fear is what sells.

Our local TV stations should do a better job of reporting news that takes place in its entire market area: upstate South Carolina, western North Carolina and northeast Georgia. Though they are distinctive regions, they share similar issues.

One news station should be bold enough to cover its entire viewing area. Why not create a secondary station or two to focus on their stories while providing them with the local viewing area's weather, sports, health and business news. If Greenville/Spartanburg is your primary station area, create secondary stations for WNC and NEGA.

This leads to to wonder why WHNS continues calling itself Fox Carolina if it does not focus on all North and South Carolina? Fox Asheville and Fox Greenville/Spartanburg would fit better like Fox Charlotte, etc.

A anecdote about WSPA, channel 7. In the 1970s and early 80's for some odd reason it was available on cable in Charlotte and I remember watching it. What was odd about it was it and WDCA, channel 20 of Washington DC were the only non-Charlotte TV broadcast stations on the cable in those days. I never heard why they picked WSPA out of all of the stations to be on the Charlotte cable system. The local CBS affiliate, WBTV, would occassionaly censor shows that it did not consider appropriate for Charlotte, so everyone with cable would just watch it on WSPA.

Another anecdote. My sister in law used to be one of the news anchors on WLOS, Channel 13 and before that a reporter. This was a number of years ago so most of you are not old enough to remember, but when she was a reporter, her area for reporting stories was Greenville/Spartanburg. Due to the technology limitations at the time, all of the local news that was reported by the 6pm news took place by 1pm, because they had to have time to take the tapes to Asheville, to the top of that mountian where the station is located, in time to be processed for the 6pm news. LOL

I can get WSPA over the air at nighttime in Charlotte.

But it is important as mentioned/to keep in mind that the Greenville-Spartanburg-Asheville-Anderson market is different and more spread out than Charlotte. Since there are stations assigned to 3 primary cities, Greenville-WYFF; Spartanburg-WSPA, Asheville-WLOS, and WHNS does mainly Greenville but does the best job of covering the entire area, and they wouldn't be called Fox Asheville because they'd lose their core area viewers...

Question: Do you think upstate South Carolina and western North Carolina can support their own television markets?

The Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson, SC/Asheville, NC is currently consdiered the 35th largest market in the United States. Splitting up the market into two would cause both to go down the list. Asheville would fall down close to Charleston and Savannah.

Question: Anderson is a primary city without a news station's headquarters. Does anyone think there will be one if it lands a secondary affiliate?

Question: Does anyone think of Greenwood and Rutherfordton, Franklin, Waynesville, Hendersonville becoming primary cities for station offices in the future?

There are two Western NC TV markets. The one that includes Asheville and the other which includes Boone, Banner Elk, Blowing Rock, Jefferson and Wilkesboro.

TV Stations are granted a broadcast area by the FCC. They are required to serve all the people in that viewing area and not just the city they are located in.

I have to say that I stopped watching WSPA news a few years ago because they weren't covering the stories I wanted to see about Spartanburg. WYFF does a much better job of covering things that are happening in our city, or at least the things I am interested in which is the growth of Spartanburg. The Greenville News has also done a couple of very nice supplements on downtown Spartanburg and all that is happen here. I personally would like to see WSPA concentrate more on Spartanburg than they do.

Welcome to UrbanPlanet.org, djh1963! Great to have another voice in the Upstate. Feel free to join the discussions anytime you like. :thumbsup:

That is one thing I may have failed to point out as well. WYFF has been covering the important Spartanburg stories much better than WSPA. I personally think WSPA spends too much time on unimportant Spartanburg stories, and doesn't cover the important ones very well. I think they focus too heavily on their "VIPIR" weather team, instead of bringing viewers key development information.

I think if Anderson were to get an affiliate, it would have to focus mainly on eastern georgia and ocone and anderson counties. The Anderson Independent Mail has established a nice circulation using this method. As for Asheville possible splitting off from the upstate market; I think its a real possibility. Only major news draws WHNS, WSPA and WYFF to western NC despite the fact that Nielsen has placed a huge number of meters there. WLOS realizes this and never and I mean never comes down the mountain.

I think if Anderson were to get an affiliate, it would have to focus mainly on eastern georgia and ocone and anderson counties. The Anderson Independent Mail has established a nice circulation using this method.

I think WNEG 32 (CBS) is the first to do that. It is the sister station of WSPA 7 (CBS) and the second CBS affiliate in the Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson, SC/Asheville, NC market. I think they cover news in Anderson and Oconee counties courtesty of WSPA 7's Anderson bureau.

As for Asheville possible splitting off from the upstate market; I think its a real possibility. Only major news draws WHNS, WSPA and WYFF to western NC despite the fact that Nielsen has placed a huge number of meters there. WLOS realizes this and never and I mean never comes down the mountain.

WSPA is covering Polk and Henderson counties more. WHNS was focusing on both upstate SC and western NC when it formed its own news department, but its coverage has shrunk to Greenville and crime.

I personally think WSPA spends too much time on unimportant Spartanburg stories, and doesn't cover the important ones very well. I think they focus too heavily on their "VIPIR" weather team, instead of bringing viewers key development information.

Ditto with WHNS Fox Carolina's Genesis Weather. They have good tools, but their presentations are disorganized.

WYFF 4 Weather Plus is doing well. It receives the national weather updates from NBC Weather Plus headquaters and WYFF 4 brings in its regional coverage. Their weather updates on the main newscasts have become briefer to what's important freeing up more time for local news.

I dont think Anderson will get a station of its 'own' any time soon. There, in all honesty, isn't enough going on there to support it. They'd be up in Greenville covering stories and it wouldn't make sense for them to even be in anderson. I think WYFF does a GREAT job of covering Anderson, Pickens, Laurens, and Greenwood. I personally dont see the need and doubt that with such a strong presense of WYFF and WSPA, that it'd be really hard for them to find a niche in the system and end up being successful.

I dont think Anderson will get a station of its 'own' any time soon. There, in all honesty, isn't enough going on there to support it. They'd be up in Greenville covering stories and it wouldn't make sense for them to even be in anderson. I think WYFF does a GREAT job of covering Anderson, Pickens, Laurens, and Greenwood. I personally dont see the need and doubt that with such a strong presense of WYFF and WSPA, that it'd be really hard for them to find a niche in the system and end up being successful.

Many years ago actually Anderson had an ABC/CBS affiliate in WAIM-TV 40 (later Independent/Fox affiliate/WLOS simulcaster WAXA, then Independent WFBC, now WBSC-WB 40). WAIM served as the Upstate's other ABC affiliate (due to bad coverage from WLOS-TV's signal)...however in 1978 or 1979, WLOS strengthened their signal to better cover the Upstate, and WLOS owners wanted ABC off of WAIM. If WAIM had stuck around in its current form (an ABC affiliate/secondary CBS affiliate) Anderson might possibly would have its own newscast.

Archived