WSPA vs other local TV stations

goodbye

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WLOS comes in fairly well without amplification in Greenville, although a decent antenna certainly helps - well a satelite dish is the best way to go. ;)

Interesting to note here that channel 40 will become the local affiliate of My Network TV, a FOX primetime show station.

WLOS comes in fairly well without amplification in Greenville, although a decent antenna certainly helps - well a satelite dish is the best way to go. ;)

Interesting to note here that channel 40 will become the local affiliate of My Network TV, a FOX primetime show station.

Indeed interesting considering channel 40 was our original Fox affiliate until 1988/89 when it went dark and Fox went to WHNS-TV 21 (now known as Fox Carolina).

I suppose its time for me to chime in on this controversial subject. For a long time I felt that WSPA pandered to the Greenville audience. I understand that ratings are everything but for a while in the late 70's and 80's it got to be pretty ridiculous. Perhaps it was the station's management that led them in this direction.

I think that station management heard some griping from their Spartanburg audience that forced them to rethink their reporting.

Today I sense that WSPA is more balanced in it's reporting. They seem to cover both Greenville and Spartanburg about the same.

Personally I watch both channels. Being from Spartanburg I have no complaints about WYFF's reporting of Spartanburg news and happenings. If I lived in Greenville I would be satisfied with WSPA's reporting of Greenville news and happenings.

• 1 month later...

Skyliner I've been watching WSPA for years and they are VERY Greenville slanted and Anderson..

I totally disagree. Whenever major events are coming up in multiple cities simultaneously, you'll always hear about the one in Spartanburg and very often no mention is made about the ones in Greenville and Anderson. Another prime example was on Monday morning, when I-85 southbound was shut down and traffic was being rerouted from Laurens to Parkins Mill - absolutely NO mention about this accident until the noon show, and the video they ran on air was well after most of the mess was cleaned up. Obviously, people in Spartanburg only want to hear Spartanburg news, from the voices of many people I've heard. That is not good, in my opinion, because Spartanburg needs to keep track of what is happening around the Upstate. It is vital to its own future and current growth.

Over and over, I see WYFF 4 outperforming WSPA on Spartanburg and Anderson stories, not to mention the obvious Greenville stories they run. I give them props when they at least try though.

Honestly, I enjoy WLOS news coverage because of the way it is presented. Local, downhome, kinda comfortable. I know they rarely report Upstate news, but that's ok, I still enjoy the way they present they news, even if they necesarily cover the indepth local Greenville angle.

I even like their sports coverage better. I like it that it's not slick.

I don't think the reason that WSPA missed the accident was because it was in Greenville. I think they have some producers or editors that don't have a grasp of what is a news story. They will run story after story about dog kennels or cock fighting, but fail to mention city development stories or ones like what Skyliner mentioned. And when they do mention them, they try to put a slant on them like they are costing each tax payer hundreds of dollars. That way they can say they are "on our side".

However my biggest problem with WSPA (and WYFF to some extent) is they drag out news for an hour and a half. They spend more time promoting what they are going to tell you than acctually reporting news.

• 1 month later...

Archived