Biltmore Square Mall

mediamongrel

You're right about the county office consideration. In that article it said the mall was for sale, somewhere in the $30 million range. Good luck getting that in these unsure times. I usually frequent the Tunnel Road area due to geography, but when I do venture south of town, I prefer this area.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Garfield's Restaurant and Sbarro's have both closed. One of the managers of Sbarro was quoted in the paper as saying that Biltmore Square feels like a cemetery and I couldn't agree more. The place is hanging on by its fingertips. I really won't be surprised to see it close down altogether.

And won't that be special? God only knows how much land was destroyed for that entire smear of sprawl and now it's "Whoops, sorry about that folks... We should have added to the destruction a few miles down the road? Apologies for this big ol' pile of feces, old chum."

The Dillards clearing center is one of Asheville's best kept secrets. Man I love it there... The husband just got a slew of dress shirts and I stocked up on skirts and summer dresses for about $20.

Parking is easy, it's not crowded, and next year for Christmas everyone is getting airbrushed goodies from the airbrush stand in the food court.

• 2 months later...

There was an article in the Asheville paper not too long ago but I forget what it said.

I know that the county is thinking about consolidating its offices into one location and that Biltmore Square is on the list of sites they're considering (conversion to offices is sort of the final death knell for a dead mall, wouldn't you say?).

Biltmore Square was built in 1991, before growth in South Buncombe and Henderson counties really took off, but after everybody realized that it was coming. They were gambling that Brevard Road might become the epicenter of that growth, and for a while it looked like they were right - but within the last 5 or so years, everything skipped 2 exits further down I-26 to Arden (Airport Road) - leaving the Brevard Road corridor to stagnate.

I've always thought that the Brevard Road corridor feels kind of isolated. Accessibility is good via I-26, but it's buffered from the rest of the city by the Biltmore Estate. In its nearly 2-decade history, it never seemed to reach the "critical mass" that the Airport Road area managed to build up in just 2 years or so. It's a shame because Brevard Road looks like it was actually developed with something resembling forethought; Airport Road on the other hand is absolutely hideous.

Biltmore Square was opened in 1989. Therefore, construction began in the late 80s.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I went to Biltmore Square today. If you love seeing empty storefronts, this mall is perfect for you. There are 55 stores. It can hold about 70 stores. First Vending, Brew Ridge Coffee Co., Direct Marketing Associates, Discount Fashion Jewelry, Fantasy Entertainment, Discount Fine Jewelry, Biltmore Square Managment Office, Protocol, Scalemaster, Verizon, and US Cellular do not count because they are kiosk/ not mall stores. That makes 44 stores. Hallmark has closed. That makes 43. 43/70 stores. Thats not good at all. Going there in person even made it seem even more empty.That make Biltmore Square only about 60% leased.

Even Dillards is looking worn. They used to keep it up now they don't. Still some good deals though. Once I bought some shirts there...8.00/ea. Went to the other store and they were full price. Unreal.

Yeah Dillards has some good stuff at good prices. I am thinking that Belk or Dillard's will move out pretty soon. The Asheville Mall store is just about 5 miles away and its got a lot more things. Dillard's Clearance Centers usually only last 1 year or two.

Yeah Dillards has some good stuff at good prices. I am thinking that Belk or Dillard's will move out pretty soon. The Asheville Mall store is just about 5 miles away and its got a lot more things. Dillard's Clearance Centers usually only last 1 year or two.

Agreed re: Dillard's- unfortunate as those clearance centers can be great finds.

Hopefully Belk can stick it out for awhile- the chain has a mixed record of fleeing (Eastland, McAlster Square, etc.) and staying put (Richland Mall, uptown Charlotte) so I have no idea what it'll do. That Belk store at Biltmore is kind of small.

Agreed re: Dillard's- unfortunate as those clearance centers can be great finds.

Hopefully Belk can stick it out for awhile- the chain has a mixed record of fleeing (Eastland, McAlster Square, etc.) and staying put (Richland Mall, uptown Charlotte) so I have no idea what it'll do. That Belk store at Biltmore is kind of small.

Belk's track record in the Triangle isn't all that great, since 1995 they've closed the downtown Raleigh store (unfortunate that they couldn't hold on for another 10 yrs or so for downtown's rebirth), South Square Mall and Northgate Mall Stores in Durham as well as University Mall in Chapel Hill. They aren't afraid to shut their doors around here if sales aren't up to par, actually it seems as if they'll close up shop in a heartbeat lol. To be fair during that time they opened a store at Southpoint Mall in Durham (and closed the other Durham stores and Chapel Hill store as a result) and they also opened a store at Triangle Towne Center in Raleigh (a store so far away from any other stores in suburbia land no current stores had to close for it)

• 5 weeks later...

Belk's track record in the Triangle isn't all that great, since 1995 they've closed the downtown Raleigh store (unfortunate that they couldn't hold on for another 10 yrs or so for downtown's rebirth), South Square Mall and Northgate Mall Stores in Durham as well as University Mall in Chapel Hill. They aren't afraid to shut their doors around here if sales aren't up to par, actually it seems as if they'll close up shop in a heartbeat lol. To be fair during that time they opened a store at Southpoint Mall in Durham (and closed the other Durham stores and Chapel Hill store as a result) and they also opened a store at Triangle Towne Center in Raleigh (a store so far away from any other stores in suburbia land no current stores had to close for it)

They also closed a Belk Express at Cameron Village in Raleigh over by State.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Archived