Sign in to follow this  
mediamongrel

Biltmore Square Mall

I always wished this mall would undergo a revitalization. Macy's or Bass Pro Shops would both help, but the mall needs a bad renovation first, especially inside. I'd rather go to this area to shop rather than the Asheville Mall. Unfortunately though, when a dollar theater surfaces at any mall, things don't usually turn around from there.

It looks like rumors of turning Biltmore Square Mall into outlets may finally become reality! Apparently eviction notices have already been sent to tenants, and construction could begin at the end of the year.

Asheville Citizen-Times 

"Asheville Outlets will be THE destination for outlet shopping in the greater Asheville, North Carolina market. Developed by New England Development in partnership with Tremont Realty Capital, this 325,000 square foot open air center will feature top manufacturers and retail outlets and is slated to open in 2014. With no other outlet center within 80 miles, the retailers at Asheville Outlets are sure to thrive from the strong residential and tourism markets."

Developer's Website

post-24004-0-77165800-1368413209_thumb.j

I hope they are able to do something with this site, either this project or something else.  When I was last there about two years ago, there seemed to be less than 10 inline stores.  I can't imagine it's that much better now.

I'd have more confidence in this project if they had a list of tenants.

only one I have heard is Jcrew...but your typical outlet store tenants may follow.  Ones like Bose, Coach, and some of those in Gaffney most likely.

Why did Belk close, shortly before the outlets are supposed to open?  Does Belk just not want to be in an "outlet" mall, or does it not have any hope of the redeveloped center doing well?