The Burough

reed

I live in the Dawson, and heard from a reliable source last night that plans are underway for a bar/restaurant on the bottom floor. It is going to be named "The Borough" and the official announcement should come in the next few weeks. Apparently, they will utilize a little over half of the ground floor space, with the remainder still available for lease to another tenant.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's about 4500 sq ft, I believe. So, yeah that does sound kinda small when you split it up like that. I got the news from one of the guys working on the blueprints for the space, and he said that they were going for an intimiate, neighborhood bar kind of feel.

I would love something like Joe and Joes in Durham. Thats about as neighborhood-like as you can get. How are you liking the Dawson by the way? I am down in Caraleigh Mills, and would love to get back to downtown proper in a couple of years. (used to live over a store on Martin Street by the pourhouse. That was cool)

" I would love something like Joe and Joes in Durham. Thats about as neighborhood-like as you can get. How are you liking the Dawson by the way? I am down in Caraleigh Mills, and would love to get back to downtown proper in a couple of years. (used to live over a store on Martin Street by the pourhouse. That was cool)"

Caraleigh Mills looks very cool. I love the exposed brick/beams and the industrial look of the place.

The Dawson has been great thus far. I was in a house on Martin St. @ the corner of Chavis before this.... was great, but don't miss it a bit.

I live in the Dawson, and heard from a reliable source last night that plans are underway for a bar/restaurant on the bottom floor.  It is going to be named "The Borough" and the official announcement should come in the next few weeks.  Apparently, they will utilize a little over half of the ground floor space, with the remainder still available for lease to another tenant.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

True, it is to be called The Borough. I know the person who's starting it up. It's going to be hipper vs. a sports bar-type place, though hipness in this sense shouldn't be confused for affluence like it often is.

I'm looking foward to the opening, my very good source says it's to be open by Thanksgiving.

• 6 months later...

I was driving by The Dawson on Morgan today and saw some signs of some sort of retail going in. The name of the place was called The Borough. Im guessing its some kind of bar/restaurant. The logo includes text containing "The Borough" with an outlining of the raleigh skyline in red. If anyone knows anything about it please post!

I live above the restaurant space & met one of the architects a few months back. Pack Man's description is pretty much what I've heard as well. It is going to have a kitchen, with "heavy appetizers." Last I heard they were trying to open by April.

I live above the restaurant space & met one of the architects a few months back. Pack Man's description is pretty much what I've heard as well. It is going to have a kitchen, with "heavy appetizers." Last I heard they were trying to open by April.

I hope you don't get spill over with sound in your place. I imagine they considered that, but there is absolutely no buffer between the ground level and the apartments like they did at 510 Glenwood with Bogarts and what not.

I know the owner of the Burrough. It figures to be a nice space, but not necessarily upscale in the pecuniary sense of the term-upscale more in the stylish sense. I don't think you could necessarily peg it as a martini bar. More of a general purpose bar.

It's slated for a spring opening. Which is great, because even though they keep popping up, downtown (I'm talking downtown proper, not gloso) needs more bars.

I read somewhere that someone from Poole's is involved with that, so it will probably be a slighly more upscale version of that -- a downtempo bar with some food options, kind of like the Capital Room on Fayetville. This plus Times Bar should be two solid additions to downtown in the near future.

I read somewhere that someone from Poole's is involved with that, so it will probably be a slighly more upscale version of that -- a downtempo bar with some food options, kind of like the Capital Room on Fayetville. This plus Times Bar should be two solid additions to downtown in the near future.

Correct with the Poole's thing.

I'm really looking foward to the Times bar. I'm right by there, and capitol room can be a bit skanky for my blood sometimes. Lizzies (Alibi) is sweet, though.

• 2 months later...

I just wanted to let everyone know that the Burrough, which is located in the Dawson on Morgan street level retail space right at the corner of Dawson and Morgan, is open for business. Service is real good and personable, and they have the Triangle's only matzo ball soup as best I can tell (please post if you know of other places that serve it). They have a great IPA selection (3 kinds!) and all the standard booze, with a good bourbon selection as well.

Come on out and support this locally-owned space right in the heart of downtown! It's open daily 4-2AM, and no, I don't work there :P

I went last week and it was pretty good, the hamburger I got there was good wasn't has good as the Raliegh Times one but it was also cheaper so it evens out. The mix drinks were rather good and strong but they didn't have the unqiue specials of pooles. The person who owns it is connected to Pooles somehow. I would recomend it.

I went last week and it was pretty good, the hamburger I got there was good wasn't has good as the Raliegh Times one but it was also cheaper so it evens out. The mix drinks were rather good and strong but they didn't have the unqiue specials of pooles. The person who owns it is connected to Pooles somehow. I would recomend it.

I was thoroughly dissapointed by the Times Bar from the service all the way to the booze selection. I might add, unless you look like you're there to plunk down a good few bucks, the Times doesn't seem to want much to do with you.

The Borrough's owner was Poole's manager at one point. Poole's has suffered big time as a result of the Borrough's owner's departure. People, if you are a young indie rocker, or just like old-timey places, PLEASE patronize Poole's! That place is just too cool to go the way of the dodo. I love the bar and the scored stainless steel panels behind it.

I was thoroughly dissapointed by the Times Bar from the service all the way to the booze selection. I might add, unless you look like you're there to plunk down a good few bucks, the Times doesn't seem to want much to do with you.

I noticed while walking by that it looked like a bunch of suit and tie types in Times bar. Definitely not my type of place either.

The Borrough's owner was Poole's manager at one point. Poole's has suffered big time as a result of the Borrough's owner's departure. People, if you are a young indie rocker, or just like old-timey places, PLEASE patronize Poole's! That place is just too cool to go the way of the dodo. I love the bar and the scored stainless steel panels behind it.

In my one expierence with the times bar this wasn't the case. The group I was with was by no means well dressed (we just came from the park) and the waitress was rather attentive (to the point I like atleast , I dislike them to hover). Granted we were the only people in the right side of the building so that could of helped our service. I can't really comment on the drinks there though I just ordered pbr. The burrough is definety more bang for the buck though. Which I found surprising given the look of those condos above it. And I concur about pooles it would be a shame for that place to go under. Hopefully it can survive the construct and random road blockages.

Times is definitely my favorite new place in Downtown. I've never had a problem with the service at all, and I'm still (relatively) young at 23, so obviously I can't plunk down a chuck of change. I do go in there a lot so maybe they are starting to recogonize me? Because I've definitely never worn a suit there.

And the one time I went to Burrough, which was the night it opened, the people there seemed very similar to those that have been at Raleigh Times when I've gone. Perhaps a little younger, however.

Archived