Future of Six Forks/Wake Forest Intersection

plus2

It's a start. I can't recall a new development touting their location as being near multiple bus lines before. That's kind of amazing in itself. Because of it's setback location away from the road, and the fact that there's really no urban design in that area, aside from the occasional greenway patron, I'm pretty sure most people here will drive to/from their homes.

It is, however, close to a future rail stop, proposed near Highwoods Blvd and Atlantic. Again, perhaps not within ideal walking distance (+1/2 mile), but if & when the rail service is initiated, it's plausible to expect that the area will urbanize somewhat and we know that people will walk much further to rail than to bus. Something out on the horizon...

• 3 years later...

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The article says the developers are planning a mixed use development. The property is zoned IND-1, which prohibits dwellings; either they are planning for rezoning or the mix of uses will be office/retail/hotel.

The term "mixed use" does give me some hope that they will build something interesting, but remember mixed use does not necessarily mean apartments over retail nor a pedestrian friendly urban form. Brier Creek is touted as a mixed-use development, but is clearly the antithesis of pedestrian friendly. Especially given the urban form of its neighbors, I don't especially plan on getting my hopes up. However, there is a possibility the developers will take a long view, wait until light rail is a sure thing, and build something really nice. This is after all just a quarter mile from the planned Six Forks Road LRT station. There is Manor Six Forks just to the east, for example, so there is some precedent.

This is an interesting property too in that, unlike a large portion of the neighborhood, it's almost completely out of the flood plain, which should make a developer more willing to build something substantial.

The article says the developers are planning a mixed use development. The property is zoned IND-1, which prohibits dwellings; either they are planning for rezoning or the mix of uses will be office/retail/hotel.

The term "mixed use" does give me some hope that they will build something interesting, but remember mixed use does not necessarily mean apartments over retail nor a pedestrian friendly urban form. Brier Creek is touted as a mixed-use development, but is clearly the antithesis of pedestrian friendly. Especially given the urban form of its neighbors, I don't especially plan on getting my hopes up. However, there is a possibility the developers will take a long view, wait until light rail is a sure thing, and build something really nice. This is after all just a quarter mile from the planned Six Forks Road LRT station. There is Manor Six Forks just to the east, for example, so there is some precedent.

This is an interesting property too in that, unlike a large portion of the neighborhood, it's almost completely out of the flood plain, which should make a developer more willing to build something substantial.

Wasn't this the site where there were serious concerns about how it could be remediated several years ago? I believe that there were some contamination issues that needed to be dealth with, which was the main prohibitor from it being snatched up before now.

I wonder if this has anything to do with the DHHS relocation.

Googling about it, Kane is one of the developers who was interested in developing this site previously back in 2005. Incidentally Kane has submitted a proposal for the DHHS relocation.

Archived