Favorite Capital City Skyline Part II

TBurban

Capital Cities  

179 members have voted

1. 1. Whats your favorite capital city skyline?

• Montgomery
    • Little Rock
    • Tallahassee
    • Baton Rouge
    • Frankfort
    • Jackson
    • Raleigh
    • Oklahoma City
    • Columbia
    • Nashville
    • Austin
    • Richmond

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 months later...

Cool thread. My thoughts:

• Richmond - quite impressive with its density and mass - very urban. I recall driving through about 10 years ago and was blown away - I was not prepared for that scale....

• Columbia - I hear its a nice town, but from a skyline perspective, um, well, I guess I'm lost as to why its rising to the top of this list....

• OKC - pretty nice and quite masculine when compared to other state capitals - which is the point of this poll, but its own in-state rival Tulsa has it all over OKC

• Nashville - I really like this town and would put it at the top of my list were I to move. From a growth and size perspective, it ought to win this poll. However, its peculiar that all the buildings are essentially the same height (which I realize is about to change), and that "Batman" building is atrocious - yuck.

• Jackson - worst skyline. Ever.

Hey all, being biased and not overly familiar with the other cities, I voted for the Nashvegas. Here's some photos that ya'll might've seen on other threads on UP, but they're so damn good here they are again. Thanks to the prodigious talents of one Mr. Bill Cobb, and his fortuitious access to a helicopter, which offer a nice perspective on Nashville's downtown density. Even though there might not be tons of tall buildings, Nashville's relatively small downtown is largely built out, with but a few surface lots mucking things up. Hell of room for growth on the north side and in "SoBro," though, but these shots won't reveal that too much.

nash_8620.jpg

nash_8630.jpg

nash_8757.jpg

Although the parking lot paradise that is currently SoBro is clearly visible in this pic, you can also see the "skyline" stretching out to the West End.

nash_8761.jpg

nash_8771.jpg

You can spot 3 cranes in this one, the forthcoming buildings won't add much height but, hey.

nash_8568.jpg

All right, that's my bit of boosterism and civic pride and all. Richmond looks nice, very Euro/D.C. or something. Anyone have any pictures of Austin?

1) Although there is great representation from most parts of the South here, there is a bit of a Carolinas bias.

2) It isn't so bad considering its size when you take the totality of its skyline into account--actually I think its pretty impressive considering its size:

Skylinefrom7726.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I like Nashville, but Richond is nice too. Being just north of Raleigh, I've always enjoyed visiting there. It's probably the first city where you start to feel like you are in the north east corridor, even though that doesn't really start until DC (and the little detail that Richmond was the Confederate Capital :P ). It has the feel of a very urban, historic city.

Here's some pics of Raleigh's skyline. Here's a cool picture from earlier this year that I like:

fayetteville_st_reopening.7.29.06.raleighskyline_com_04.jpg

There are many nice Capital City Skylines across the Southern U.S.

Baton Rouge's skyline is definetly sub-par compared to many cities on this list. Although the 450'ft. State Capitol is impressive. 2007 looks to be a break-out year for Baton Rouge's Skyline drastically improving. Some nice high-rises will be going up in the CBD.

I voted Nashville although I have not seen some of the cities in person, I love that L&C building in Nville, there are not many built in that era, anyone have close ups? The bell south building is not my favorite, but looks cool at night, it just looks a little too short for the width and size of the antenas,IMO It would look really good with another 10-20 stories

Archived