Downtown Motorcycle Parking Problems

houseofdon

I just got off the phone with the City Parking Service, and was pretty surprised (read: ticked off!!) that the city doesn't offer any sort of motorcycle parking. In fact, it's notably more INCONVENIENT to park a bike downtown. The lady said that they don't recommend parking in the garages since there isn't always enough weight for the sensors to detect. If you park at a meter, you still have to pay. If you park between two spaces, you'll be ticketed, and if you park on the sidewalks they'll tow you.

As an Eastown resident, a downtown worker, and a soon-to-be motorcycle owner, I've been looking forward to increased downtown convenience by leaving my car at home. But essentially, it's more work to park a motorcycle downtown than it is a Hummer.

I've spent some time in DC, and they offer free motorcycle parking in designated zones throughout the city. Honestly, with GR trying to put an added emphasis being a "green city," motorcycle accessibilty should be just common sense policy.

Thoughts? Any fellow riders have some advice for me or want to join in and try to get this policy brought through by Heartwell and the boys?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just got off the phone with the City Parking Service, and was pretty surprised (read: ticked off!!) that the city doesn't offer any sort of motorcycle parking. In fact, it's notably more INCONVENIENT to park a bike downtown. The lady said that they don't recommend parking in the garages since there isn't always enough weight for the sensors to detect. If you park at a meter, you still have to pay. If you park between two spaces, you'll be ticketed, and if you park on the sidewalks they'll tow you.

As an Eastown resident, a downtown worker, and a soon-to-be motorcycle owner, I've been looking forward to increased downtown convenience by leaving my car at home. But essentially, it's more work to park a motorcycle downtown than it is a Hummer.

I've spent some time in DC, and they offer free motorcycle parking in designated zones throughout the city. Honestly, with GR trying to put an added emphasis being a "green city," motorcycle accessibilty should be just common sense policy.

Thoughts? Any fellow riders have some advice for me or want to join in and try to get this policy brought through by Heartwell and the boys?

I always see a bunch of motorcycles parked in the Amway Grand ramp near the West entrance. You might want to check with them. Don't listen to the city. They're all about customer service. :rolleyes:

I know here in Ann Arbor motor cyclists are permitted to park up on the sidewalk next to bike racks, or up against some buildings free of charge, just as long as they are not obstructing pedestrians. In short, they follow the same parking restrictions as bicycles in most cases. I wonder if something like that would work in Grand Rapids.

Don't be discouraged, you'll find you can pretty much do what you want on a motorcycle and people won't do anything. For example, if you park illegally, you can't really be towed because to do so they would have to physically lift your bike onto a truck. Assuming you lock the bike's handlebars they can't push it anywhere. Further, as far as I'm aware you are legally allowed to park bikes in non-spots at the end of rows that are typically painted with diagonal lines. Lastly, I've heard it's not uncommon scooter riders in New York to just remove their license plates when they park on sidewalks so they can't be ticketed. Magnets or velcro may come in handy for such a trick. I wouldn't recommend parking on the sidewalk, however, as the first two options are usually good enough and a motorcycle is much larger than a scooter and may scare pedestrians.

Enjoy the 'cycle! I wish I still had mine. I really miss the 55 MPG and better acceleration that just about any car.

Oh, I almost forgot. If the bike isn't heavy enough for automatic gates to open, don't worry. I found that a bike is usually narrow enough that you can just ride around them. :D

-nb

The lady said that they don't recommend parking in the garages since there isn't always enough weight for the sensors to detect. If you park at a meter, you still have to pay.

Of course you have to pay, why wouldn't you? I never park in ramps w/ my car and never have a problem finding a spot on the street, you should have an even easier time w/ a bike.

I have never had a problem with our company scooter. I toss it up on the sidewalk, park it inbetween cars or in hidden spots :) all over the city. The scooter is the (in) way of travel in downtown in my humble opinion! What they need to do is come up with a (SAM) for scooters and motorcylces... But something that cannot be stolen. The (SAM) is an electronic device that you can hang from your mirror and has a rfd card reader that holds money on it... You simply turn it on and choose a particular zone and there you go.. walk away and you never have to worry about getting another ticket for not feeding that hungry meter!!!

I agree on the parking issue though... Have a few more bikes or scooters DTown would be much more appealing than oversized grocery getters :( and all of knuckle head drivers behind the wheels... The only issue with scooters/motorcylces downtown is that you always have to drive on the defensive and look out!!!! I have almost been wiped out three times by idiots, not paying attention. OH yeah and do not take those Rapid Bus drivers too lightly... they have heavy foots and are not affraid to blow stop signs and are extremely inconsiderate of even cars~ CRAZY SICK drives... I am supriseed some of these cats still have their license :)

I've parked my bike all over downtown without any problems. I did get a ticket once for an expired meter though. I have parked on sidewalks too. I usually park on Pearl right across from MoJo's before the meters start, the sidewalk by MoJo's has bikes on it sometimes also.

But I agree, scooters are the way to go downtown. I've been looking for one eventhough I have a motorcycle.

• 10 months later...
I've parked my bike all over downtown without any problems. I did get a ticket once for an expired meter though. I have parked on sidewalks too. I usually park on Pearl right across from MoJo's before the meters start, the sidewalk by MoJo's has bikes on it sometimes also.

But I agree, scooters are the way to go downtown. I've been looking for one eventhough I have a motorcycle.

A bit off-topic and for that I apologize but...

I'm new to GRR and am looking for a shop to work on my motorcycle. Can anybody make a recommendations or point me at some other resource? I've spent hours on the net to no avail...

Thanks for any suggestions.

BlueLou

A bit off-topic and for that I apologize but...

I'm new to GRR and am looking for a shop to work on my motorcycle. Can anybody make a recommendations or point me at some other resource? I've spent hours on the net to no avail...

Thanks for any suggestions.

BlueLou

I have a few bikes and have always parked on the sidewalk. My place DT the walk is at least 10' wide, and it's never at full pedestrian traffic.

Has anyone heard of a bike actually being towed?

Please let me know. I'd hate to see my Duc in the back of a truck.

Greg

• 1 year later...

I thought I would resurrect this topic again this year to see if anyone has any more ideas on parking downtown with a motorcycle.

I work downtown on Monroe Center and would love to take my bike to work without paying a fortune at the ramps. I currently ride the Rapid to work, so I can't rationalize spending a lot of extra money just to ride my motorcycle.

There have been a number of mentions about parking on the sidewalk. And I'm not sure this will work. Maybe outside of regular business hours, and doing it temporarily, but don't think that I can routinely do that.

I plan to do some looking around downtown here and will post any great finds. But would love to hear some more ideas from the forum.

Thanks,

I wouldn't park a motorcycle on the sidewalk. Maybe a scooter, but not a motorcycle.

You could always try finding an alley or somewhere out of the way. If any surface lots have areas of diagonal yellow painted lines where cars can't fit you can usually legally park on those. If you're not taking up an actual spot I'd feel better about going around the gate in a lot. I used to go around the gate in a lot I had legit access to, but didn't carry my card around with me on my motorcycle for obvious reasons.

Archived