Who decided that Charlotte needed to "move in a direction"?

yeah...

who decided this? because i for one liked charlotte just fine the way it was 5 years ago...you know, when you could drive down providence and see a big patch of trees on the corner. when you could drive down south boulevard and as you were weaving to avoid the craters in the road, you also weren't struggling with the construction workers rerouting/widening/expanding/whatever for the new light rail that we totally, 100% don't need. i'm sure there are others like me, people that have lived here and that didn't just move here to get a job with the bank, who don't want to see the city grow at the alarming rate that it is. i'm sure i can't be the only one who is sick of seeing really cool old houses being torn down to be replaced with faux retro condo complexes that no one can really afford to buy...except the yuppie implants who have moved here to tweak this city into to becoming more like the hell(s) that they moved away from.

so, i ask, who decided that we should modernize? was it the normal people who have lived her forever? or the super rich land developers who don't care about the quality of the land after they have destroyed it? who decided that charlotte wasn't good enough as is? who decided that with our bad roads, a light rail would fix EVERYthing?

i cannot be the only person that thinks this way. not everyone can be governed by money. i hope not anyway. but i never see an ounce of protest as they are slapping up condos and tearing down things left and right (it was an absolute TRAVESTY that whoever--i'll refer to them as they--made Coffey & Thompson move across the street on 4th. i used to look at that weird iron horse every day. now it's tucked behind some building and i never see it. what's next? athens? so many things are already gone & destroyed.)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not everything that results from an influx of pepole, regardless of where they are from, is a bad thing. A lot of the growth that Charlotte has experienced is a result of the banks that you refer to attracting experienced employees that are necessary to support two top five financial institutions. In turn, those banks give a lot back to the community.

For everyone like you who wants the city to be like it was 5 years ago, there is someone who thinks it should go back top the way it was 10 years ago, and so on...

I know this might come as a blow to your ego, but the city does not revolve around you. People move here for work, family, or because they enjoy the city. You cannot stop progress. We, as a community, decide what direction the city should be moving in. Let me ask you this: How many zoning board, city council, and transit meetings have you been to? I would assume you attend them on a regular basis, since I am sure that you wouldn't be the type of person to complain about an issue without bother to learn more about it, or engage in community planning.

As for the light rail, the 28,000 people porjected to use it on a daily basis would disagree with you. I bought my home for its proximity to the light rail, so I wouldn't have to use a car.

Ummm, cities grow and change. If you don't like it, then go find a cave in the mountains. I will be enjoying the city we are working hard to create, fighting more mass transit, bike lanes, parks, and affordable housing.

This city belongs to everyone who calls it home.

As someone being kicked out of an old historic apt house that is going to be turned into yuppie condo heaven, I can relate to the original posters feelings. That being said, the only constant is change and overall I think much of what is going on in Charlotte is positive. I have never lived in a place so laser focused on improving civic and economic life. I do wish more attention was paid to preserving the little that is left of Charlotte's history, the city just does not seem to care. They only care about Nascar.

As a new member of UrbanPlanet myself, one can tell that this is a site that strongly encourages CORRECT urban development, inner-city transit, and healthy growth for cities. Most of us on here do support the light rail project that will lead to millions of dollars in new high density residential along South Blvd and attract tourists and residents to Uptown and other parts of the city. So most of the things that you listed that you are against are good for the town in becoming a World Class City and a cool one at that. Your complaint about houses being destroyed for faux retro condo complexes can be good and yet bad if the site is developed correctly.

i like growth. honestly, i do. i absolutely ADORE when old neighborhoods like north davidson are infiltrated by northern yuppies and renamed with trendy little nicknames like NoDa. it makes me feel so..well, hip & artsy. okay, i made that up. maybe now i just feel like a tool for reading anything with the words "NoDa" and "gallery crawl" stuck together.

i'm just curious as to why so much growth so suddenly? and why the huge influence on trying to make charlotte a "world-class city"? it isn't. and why should it be? if you want a world class city, move to new york. go to la. don't want to travel far..go to atlanta.

none of the transplants understand the history being destroyed because our city (which by the way, no i don't attend any meetings/vote...why should i? would it make any difference? ref: the newest new charlotte arena.) has decided to make us world class, i.e., they want more tax money to waste on inane b.s. and the transplants just want a smaller versions of the crapholes they fled from.

i just really, really want to drive to work without being surround by suv's or black bmw's and be able to take in the scenery that changes on a quarterly basis...not every month. and i would like it if there was a tree left standing on a street corner that wasn't deemed as marketable real estate and sold to the highest bidding developer.

I can't think of a city I've ever lived in, where I didn't hear the locals decrying how "The developers get anything they want".

What makes you think growth is sudden? Charlotte has been known as a fast-growing sprawling city since the 1940s.

I would also add, that much of the history of the city is being preserved by the transplants and gentrifiers. Nobody cared about the inner city neighborhoods for decades. Most local residents that could afford to, just fled to the suburbs, and left the older bungalows and cottages to rot in the hands of absentee landlords.

i like growth. honestly, i do. i absolutely ADORE when old neighborhoods like north davidson are infiltrated by northern yuppies and renamed with trendy little nicknames like NoDa. it makes me feel so..well, hip & artsy. okay, i made that up. maybe now i just feel like a tool for reading anything with the words "NoDa" and "gallery crawl" stuck together.

i'm just curious as to why so much growth so suddenly? and why the huge influence on trying to make charlotte a "world-class city"? it isn't. and why should it be? if you want a world class city, move to new york. go to la. don't want to travel far..go to atlanta.

none of the transplants understand the history being destroyed because our city (which by the way, no i don't attend any meetings/vote...why should i? would it make any difference? ref: the newest new charlotte arena.) has decided to make us world class, i.e., they want more tax money to waste on inane b.s. and the transplants just want a smaller versions of the crapholes they fled from.

i just really, really want to drive to work without being surround by suv's or black bmw's and be able to take in the scenery that changes on a quarterly basis...not every month. and i would like it if there was a tree left standing on a street corner that wasn't deemed as marketable real estate and sold to the highest bidding developer.

Excuse me but i'm from Paramus,NJ :angry: and I moved to Winston Salem because I was tired of driving on 12 lane interstates, and spending much more for a house whereas I could move to North Carolina and get more for my money and get a better quality of life. We are not all "yuppies" from where I come from and I am pro urban development and anything that makes a town feel more like a less car dependent society. I walk to the grocery store, I ride my bike to big-box stores if I plan on prchasing a very small amount, and I use public transit to explore other neighborhoods in my town without wasting gas driving around. I understand the history of Winston and Charlotte. You are just stereotyping people from my area because possibly you have had a bad experience with a Northener or something else and for that I apologize. We are all not as you percieve us to be. In fact I own a Honda Civic hybrid if that makes you feel any better. I recommend you think before you post because you don't know who you might be offending when you put in what you believe. If you hate to see what Charlotte is becoming then I recommend you move to Albemarle in Stanly County or to a small town in Rowan County if you hate to see us "northern yuppies" in your city. May I ask where you came from when you moved to Charlotte?

Well, Charlotte's city leaders have chosen a fast growth path since the early 1900s. Charlotte was a village of 7000 or so people in 1900, and made every effort to grow very fast. That growth trajectory has led the city to where it is now.

The current city leaders are also pursuing the high growth trajectory. Why? Because low density does not create the tax revenues needed to run a city as large as it is now. The city needs to constant seek an expanded tax base, so investments in visitorship magnets (like the arena) and density magnets (like the LRT) are viewed as the only way to save this city.

So who decided? The city leaders, elected to make decisions. What did they decide? To grow and not look back, just as Charlotteans have done for a century. Luckily, there are dozens of North Carolina towns and cities that are much like Charlotte was at various points in its history. So if you want to experience that life, there are places to go.

In fact I own a Honda Civic hybrid if that makes you feel any better.

How very northern of you ;) . Us *censored* drive us some gas hogging *censored* carting around our *censored*. Well, not in Charlotte, but in many places about a *censored* minute drive from uptown. *(On another note, this is sarcasm, not to be taken literally, I thought that the ;) might have implied that.)*

Ok, so it's not for any one person to say, "Hey, let's make this city forget its past." Technically, by inviting and campaigning for the NHOF, we are embracing a part of our history; NASCAR has a HUGE impact on our metro and state's economy, no matter how you look at it. It has for more than 50 years. Another reason there was such a huge push for the hall was because Charlotte is severely lacking in the tourist attraction market. Heck, the state's largest tourist attraction is a mall. That says something. It says "Hooray for Suburbia!"

The city has changed a lot in the last 5 years, whether your individual opinion counts is irrelevant. If you have an opinion, and you feel strong enough to post a message like that on here, you should be showing up to city council meetings and such and voicing your opinion. The arena decision, a lot of the "little people" did not want it. However, an overwhelming amount of the "big people" did. Obviously a louder voice is heard first. Now look what has happened. Since its construction, there have been dozens of proposals for uptown, even on the other side from the arena. Was the arena the soul reason for condos being built in Charlotte? Of course not, but CC-Charlotte was scaring a lot of developers off because of its lack of entertainment. The arena may have very well been the catalyst that pushed the level high enough. The ensuing Epicentre solidified that fact.

As for banking, fewer people have moved to Charlotte for banking in the last 5 years than in the previous. A higher percentage of banking jobs are actually leaving Charlotte due to mergers and outsourcing than are being created (almost entirely on the BOA side of the scale.)

In a way, you should be happy people are moving closer to center city, this reduces traffic congestion and promotes more activity in the city around the clock rather than during rush hour and lunch break.

All I'm trying to say is that if you are sad to see Charlotte change, you shouldn't have moved to the center of a MSA/CSA in the first place. It was bound to happen eventually. If all roads lead to one point, that point is bound to be well traveled.

EDITED FOR CONTENT

Sorry, but I can't help feeling slightly offended by your comments. I assume you are talking about Northern cities, but they are not "crapholes" and us Northerners are not all "yuppies." If you want to see trees on every corner, move to Union County. Charlotte is a city. A city can be defined many ways, but most people think of a city as a vibrant, dense, urban place. Just like beauty can be found in nature, it can also be found in urbanity. And yes, you should consider attending a few meetings and educating yourself on topics such as mass transit before you make comments about it.

Oh, and by the way, BMW's are very nice cars :shades:

Exactly. People want this city to grow so it will better be recognized country -- and even world -- wide. This can't be done without advancements like LRT, the arena, the whitewater center, larger towers, uptown living and nightlife, NHOF, and the proposed uptown ballpark (of either scale.)

Oh, and those SUV's are a byproduct of Americans in general -- not northerners -- moving to and already living in Charlotte. Like scenery and small cars, fly across the pond to Europe.

How very northern of you ;) . Us "rednecks" drive us some gas hogging V-8's carting around our cattle. Well, not in Charlotte, but in many places about a twenty minute drive from uptown.

Ok, so it's not for any one person to say, "Hey, let's make this city forget its past." Technically, by inviting and campaigning for the NHOF, we are embracing a part of our history; NASCAR has a HUGE impact on our metro and state's economy, no matter how you look at it. It has for more than 50 years. Another reason there was such a huge push for the hall was because Charlotte is severely lacking in the tourist attraction market. Heck, the state's largest tourist attraction is a mall. That says something. It says "Hooray for Suburbia!"

The city has changed a lot in the last 5 years, whether your individual opinion counts is irrelevant. If you have an opinion, and you feel strong enough to post a message like that on here, you should be showing up to city council meetings and such and voicing your opinion. The arena decision, a lot of the "little people" did not want it. However, an overwhelming amount of the "big people" did. Obviously a louder voice is heard first. Now look what has happened. Since its construction, there have been dozens of proposals for uptown, even on the other side from the arena. Was the arena the soul reason for condos being built in Charlotte? Of course not, but CC-Charlotte was scaring a lot of developers off because of its lack of entertainment. The arena may have very well been the catalyst that pushed the level high enough. The ensuing Epicentre solidified that fact.

As for banking, fewer people have moved to Charlotte for banking in the last 5 years than in the previous. A higher percentage of banking jobs are actually leaving Charlotte due to mergers and outsourcing than are being created (almost entirely on the BOA side of the scale.)

In a way, you should be happy people are moving closer to center city, this reduces traffic congestion and promotes more activity in the city around the clock rather than during rush hour and lunch break.

All I'm trying to say is that if you are sad to see Charlotte change, you shouldn't have moved to the center of a MSA/CSA in the first place. It was bound to happen eventually. If all roads lead to one point, that point is bound to be well traveled.

Whoa man! I was not implying that you guys down here are rednecks! :) I was just saying that I drive a hybrid compared to the the BMWs and SUVs he said that ALL Northeners drove.

How very northern of you ;) . Us "rednecks" drive us some gas hogging V-8's carting around our cattle. Well, not in Charlotte, but in many places about a twenty minute drive from uptown.

I think you need to go out and educate yourself better about this area. Nobody appreciates being called a redneck lest of which the hundreds of thousands that are 20 minutes out of Charlotte where this term does not apply. And we have cattle farms right here in Mecklenburg county. Last time I looked all of the trendy restaruants in downtown who cater to the enlightened class, serve steak. Do you suggest these farmers are rednecks and should hauling around their cattle in japanese hybrids? If anything these are the people who should have V8 trucks and not commuters in the suburbs of Charlotte.

The bottom line is that your comments would be better respected if you dropped the stereotypes.

I agree with you on this one. It's bad enough when they bulldoze down buildings, but when they abandon the traditional name of an area for a trendy name, and even worse, one that is an anagram, all contact with the history of the place is lost. NoDa is a meaningless term.

Well to be fair, the owners of the Center of the Earth gallery on North Davidson are the ones who started the area's renaissance AND came up with the new moniker for the area; it was not anyone in the city or chamber offices. But I do agree, what the heck was wrong with "North Charlotte"? I'm not all that fond of "South End", either.

And I'll take the Charlotte of today over the one five years ago. While not a fan of the architectural direction CPCC is going, I appreciate what it and Grubb are doing. I don't miss the Coffey building (although the sculpture was kinda cool).

As my therapist told me often (back when I was unstable), change is inevitable. Get used to it.

I think you need to go out and educate yourself better about this area. Nobody appreciates being called a redneck lest of which the hundreds of thousands that are 20 minutes out of Charlotte where this term does not apply. And we have cattle farms right here in Mecklenburg county. Last time I looked all of the trendy restaruants in downtown who cater to the enlightened class, serve steak. Do you suggest these farmers are rednecks and should hauling around their cattle in japanese hybrids? If anything these are the people who should have V8 trucks and not commuters in the suburbs of Charlotte.

The bottom line is that your comments would be better respected if you dropped the stereotypes.

Jeez metro, I was being sarcastic.

mmm-kay. i've missed a few posts.

one person asked where i came from prior to charlotte. born here, raised here. probably won't die here (unless i get mowed down by one of those ginormous suv's that the women can't park, see out of or keep in between the lines...i know it isn't just northerners, but more people, more development, more money, more upper middle class yuppies needing to show off their status in the the largest suv their husbands money can buy. it's a cycle.)

another person commented that they are from a nj, but moved here to avoid 12 lanes of traffic, but still want to be able to walk to the grocery store. i am all for development....downtown. just stop expanding and expanding until there is no suburban area left. want to walk to all of your stores? buy a $1 million condo downtown. leave the rest of us to buying our normally priced homes that you fled your cities in search of.

another poster commented about me calling the cities left behind "crapholes". this is because i visit a website called craigslist. go there. www.craigslist.org. everyday, in triplicate, you get people from other cities saying "i want to leave this citie because this sucks, and this sucks and i am so tired of this...should i come to charlotte?" i based my statement on people who are contemplating moving here and their comments about their own cities, which range from la, ny, kansas city, etc.

the absentee landlords aren't so much absentee as they are poor. so let's offer the poor guy 60k for his house that's worth in excess of 400k and he'll be none the wiser, and besides, what's HE really going to do with it anyway, right?

kudos to the hybrid driving guy. it takes real acorns to sport around town in something that looks like my 6 year old stuck together with duct tape.

But I do agree, what the heck was wrong with "North Charlotte"? I'm not all that fond of "South End", either.

NoDa is goofy, I do like SouthEnd however -- that "area" wasn't really an area but a corridor and now it has more of an identity than the place between Wilmore and Dilworth. North Charlotte or North Davidson depending on who you asked worked just fine...

I'm originally from Charlotte and am delighted with the growth. I do wish we would have less sprawl and more density and have always felt so. The growth, for me, has far less to do with money than with quality of life. If I am going to live in a city I want the amenities that come with it, like walkable neighborhoods where i don't have to drive to the store or out to eat, stadiums that have big events, restaurants and cafes, and great parks. This is the growth I am so happy about.

Add to it light rail and mass transit and you alleviate much of the congestion or at least much of the future congestion.

If i didn't want city living I would move way out or to the country -- the city I grew up in from the 70's to the 90's was in netherland -- not a city with much to do, but large enough to have pollution and traffic. For me, opinion only, this change is good.

P.S. -- all you northern yuppies - welcome, you've brought more good than bad, my neighbors have forgotten their supposed "southern hospitality".

By the way - at what point did the term yuppie turn into a disparaging remark? Does it still apply to those fitting the literal description of "not-old, city-dwelling, person-with-a-good-job"? Seems its only used now to describe smug people with lots of money and no good taste. Just curious.

Archived