Newport News city, VA: 179,899___181,917___-2,018

Norfolk city, VA: 231,954___237,347___-5,393

Poquoson city, VA: 11,811___11,673___+138

Portsmouth city, VA: 100,169___99,404___+765

Suffolk city, VA: 78,994___76,529___+2,465

Virginia Beach city, VA: 438,415___439,224___-809

Williamsburg city, VA: 11,751___11,486___+265

Hampton Roads Metro population: 1,647,346___1,641,671___+5,675

I was surprised by Norfolk's significant drop in population. With all of the construction going on I would have imagined we would have seen a rise. Virginia Beach also had a decrease in population, probably the first time that's happened in over a decade. I also would have thought Newport News would have seen a rise in population, guess not. Also, Portsmouth is back over 100,000.

If you want to see the numbers yourself here you go: http://www.census.gov/popest/counties/CO-EST2005-01.html

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am very suprised about the peninsula. Besides James City which gained a little over 2k people there was hardly any increase at all and Newport News actually lost over 2k people. Pretty flat to worse numbers overall .

Well, the overall trend since 2000 is a rise. Any statistician will also tell you that a year to year fluctuation isn't as important as the overall trend. With gases, taxes, and overall property value and cost of living rising so much in the past year many people may have just decided to stay put. Plus, I think that the suburban areas of NC are seeing most of the population we lost (which was not a significant number of people by any stretch). Besides, the metro itself still grew, albeit by a paltry amount. I think our days of runaway growth may be behind us, and that's not a bad thing.

Looking at the numbers again it looks as though Chesapeake and Suffolk and points south were the benefactors of core city losses. One thing that i've always wondered is that as Va. Beach urbanizes will it become a victim of the same suburban flight that it was a benefactor of for previous decades?

Looking at the numbers again it looks as though Chesapeake and Suffolk and points south were the benefactors of core city losses. One thing that i've always wondered is that as Va. Beach urbanizes will it become a victim of the same suburban flight that it was a benefactor of for previous decades?

Its possible but I dont' see Vabeach becoming a big urban city. Alot of it will stay suburban. It might but not in our life time. I think that traffic is what pushes people further out. I read a article about people living in Kempsville and they got tired of having to wait to get out of their drive ways on Kempsville Rd. and alot them moved to Moyoc, NC.

There always seem to be a number of people moving out to the burbs or even further out. People still desire a bigger house at a better price but all of it does come at a price namley longer commutes and more traffic congestion.

Its possible but I dont' see Vabeach becoming a big urban city. Alot of it will stay suburban.

Well surely, but perhaps you misunderstand what i'm saying. I'm talking about the various issues that affect more urban areas than Va. Beach, that caused population to flee in the first place, may in time start affecting Va. Beach itself. Initially people came to Va. Beach for the quiet, suburban, almost rural lifestyle it had to offer. Things are not as quiet and rural as they used to be and for people still searching that out they may go to areas like Cheasapeake, Suffolk, and points south. That's all i'm saying.

Archived