Memphis - 70s and 80s

cdarr

Somebody wanted to see what the Sterick Building looked like when it had a logo on top, so I went digging through some old photos. I found this 1981 picture of Downtown Memphis that I thought you might find interesting:

downtown%20memphis%201981.jpg

Also found some pictures my grandfather took...DeSoto Bridge nearing completion - August 26, 1972:

DeSoto%20Bridge%20U.C..jpg

Here's St. Francis Hospital (opened as St. Joseph - East) on Park Avenue in East Memphis - under construction in 1973:

St.%20Francis%20U.C..jpg

This is the Mid America Mall being built in place of Main Street in October of 1975. Notice all of the signs...I'm sure these businesses loved having the street closed down.

Mid%20America%20Mall%20-%20Oct%201975.jpg

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Somebody wanted to see what the Sterick Building looked like when it had a logo on top, so I went digging through some old photos. I found this 1981 picture of Downtown Memphis that I thought you might find interesting:

downtown%20memphis%201981.jpg

Jiminy, look at all the empty lots ! What is that funky modernist-looking building east of Sterick that resembles a half-pyramidal solar panel ? Is it still there today ?

Jiminy, look at all the empty lots ! What is that funky modernist-looking building east of Sterick that resembles a half-pyramidal solar panel ? Is it still there today ?

I think you're referring to the old First American Bank building. Yeah, it's still there, and you can see it from Autozone Park. It's being refurbished by the chamber of commerce for their new headquarters.

Great picture.

It's still there--right across Madison from AutoZone Park. The Chamber of Commerce is supposed to be renovating it and moving in.

^Beat me to it

Great pictures, thanks!

AutoZone park and the Echelon apartments filled up a lot of those vacant lots.

Just to the left of that 1965 apt. building which used to be called Lowenstein Towers when I lived in Memphis, you can see the old King Cotton Hotel.

If anybody was bored enough I'd love to have that old photograph either superimposed over a similar angle shot of today or edit the original in Photoshop with markers of what is gone/there now... Love that first photo!!!

• 1 month later...

Found these on the CA's website today...very nice! I recommend taking a look if you haven't already; old Memphis pics

I posted a few of them:

"Riverside Drive, seen as beautification work continues in 1941, continues to be one of the most attractive entries to the city. (The Commercial Appeal files) NOTE: dated May 11th, 1941. For Memphis Memories purposes, please just note that the photo was taken in May 1941 and not mention the exact date. From the files of The Commercial Appeal."

oldmemphis7.jpg

"A route roughly following a TVA power line right-of-way (beginning at lower right corner of photo) between Memorial Park Cemetery (upper left center) and Ridgeway Country Club golf course (upper right center) was the choice of city and county officials for the proposed expressway east of Memphis on 6 Oct 1956. Additional right-of-way width would have to be obtained from the cemetery, golf course or both, however, to provide space for the super-roadway and relocation of the power lines. A cloverleaf intersection probably would be built immediately south of Poplar (road running across center of photo) to proved access to and from the east-west route. Road running toward bottom of photo from Poplar and curving to lower left corner is West Rex Road. Bob Williams / The Commercial Appeal files."

oldmemphis6.jpg

"The Memphis skyline lacked many of its landmark buildings in this aerial photograph from 23 Feb 62. Commerce Square, City Hall, Morgan Keegan Tower, 100 North Main, First Tennessee Bank and One Memphis Place, among others, were not yet parts of the downtown profile. Staff Photo. Photo Courtesy Special Collections/University of Memphis Libraries."

oldmemphis5.jpg

"1 Aug 72 - Another steel grider is put into place as the Interstate 40 Bridge, moves slowly towards Memphis in background. Photo ran on Sunday, 6 Aug 72 as part of picture page showing work being done on the bridge. Photo by Richard Gardner, Staff Photographer, The Commercial Appeal. Courtest Special Collections/University of Memphis Libraries."

oldmemphis4.jpg

"12 Jul 71 - Commerce Square rises out of the downtown skyline at the corner of Main Street and Monroe Avenue. Staff Photo by Fred J. Griffith. From the files of The Commercial Appeal."

oldmemphis3.jpg

"Site clearing east of White Station Tower at 5050 Poplar Avenue signals the start of construction of Clark Tower at 5100 Poplar Avenue in this June 1970 aerial photograph. Poplar Avenue runs diagonally to top left corner in the view looking toward the south and Eastgate Shopping Center at top center. Staff Photo by Barney Sellers. Photo Courtesy Special Collections/University of Memphis Libraries."

oldmemphis2.jpg

EDIT: Unframed prints for these old pics are priced as high as $120!

Hey Bluff, thanks SO MUCH for posting those photos. I'll have to go look at the others. You posted two things I have never seen before: One Commerce Square under contruction and White Station Tower with no Clark Tower next to it!

I think you're referring to the old First American Bank building. Yeah, it's still there, and you can see it from Autozone Park. It's being refurbished by the chamber of commerce for their new headquarters.

Great picture.

That building was originally called the C & I Bank building back in the mid-70's when I lived in Memphis.

Archived