Greenville: regional cooking

gs3

Maybe you guys have suggestions. I have friends coming to town for Memorial Day weekend and they have ask to go to dinner and have food that is "unique/regional to Greenville". I'm drawing a blank. I can think of several foods South Carolina is famous for, but all are regional or famous to Charleston and the low country (Shrimp and grits, etc). Anybody have any ideas for Greenville? I'm totally stumped. :dontknow:

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I mostly grew up on local farm food; ham, green beans, and potatoes being a fairly common dinner. I would definitely go with ham or pork, baked potatoes or sweet potatoes, and corn most days, but Bar-B-Que on Memorial Day is common around here. There are many different things to enjoy though, so don't limit yourself to these generics alone. An idea would be to visit places like Gene's (Greenville) or Louise's New Dixie Cafe (Greer). These give a great idea of some really local food.

Maybe you guys have suggestions. Anybody have any ideas for Greenville? I'm totally stumped.

The best southern food in the upstate is at Steakhouse Cafeteria in Walhalla. If they're interested in the area, the drive out on highway 11 will be as much fun as the eating.

If you're cooking youself, however:

A few foods are specific to Greenville. I grew up on Suber Road, which leads to Suber Mill, where you can buy very fine grits, worthy of being made into patties, grilled, or what-have-you. Their corn meal is the finest, and I always buy enough to bring up here for my use.

While produce isn't specific to Greenville, very good seasonal berries and vegetables can be found at Ferguson Farms.

Boiled peanuts can be found everywhere (or made yourself, if you have time or a kid who wants a fun project), and very fresh fish, caught right here, grilled on hot coals, is a treat.

Slightly afield, but excellent, is Clemson Blue Cheese, or products from the Happy Cow Creamery. This is the only food I know that is unique to the upstate, rather than simply produced here, and it melts beautifully onto grilled hamburgers. Obviously the "showcase" item for upstate food, and a classy gift, though Clemson's own ice cream is also excellent.

As for southern food items, you can't go wrong with a good, fresh carrot slaw.

Thanks guys! :thumbsup: All excellent ideas! The Bar-B-Q, the ham dinner, the Clemson Blue cheese, should be able to wow them with these taste. :thumbsup: I've been to Henry's but not been to Bucky's....do they do the Carolina style Bar-B-Q sauce? My friends are Northerners, so I'm sure they would find that pretty unique. I was a Southerner and never had the Carolina sauce until I moved here. Very unique.

They're here for several days, so hopefully we can make the rounds and check out all the suggestions. :)

I mostly grew up on local farm food; ham, green beans, and potatoes being a fairly common dinner. I would definitely go with ham or pork, baked potatoes or sweet potatoes, and corn most days, but Bar-B-Que on Memorial Day is common around here. There are many different things to enjoy though, so don't limit yourself to these generics alone. An idea would be to visit places like Gene's (Greenville) or Louise's New Dixie Cafe (Greer). These give a great idea of some really local food.

Louise's New Dixie Cafe is long gone, Louise has been dead ofr over two years. A similar place is open in that spot, and from what I understand a better place. It is called Southern Tymes Cafe it is run by the people who do the Lakeview Steak House.

BTW, Clemson Ice Cream is made in New Jersey these days, but it is amazing.

That's sad to hear about Louise's, but I can't say I am terribly shocked. It was there for a long time, but she still did most of the work/cooking at 90+ years old.

A few other dishes from the area: Wild blackberry pie, fried okra, fried squash, and collard greens.

Archived