How to simplify your life

michaelskis

My GF and I are in the beginning stages of packing to move from our apartment into a condo, and we both realized that we need to weed out a lot of junk and simplify our lives before we move.

Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to go about this, any tips or ticks that they may have used in the past, and ideas on what we need to hang on to?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My GF and I are in the beginning stages of packing to move from our apartment into a condo, and we both realized that we need to weed out a lot of junk and simplify our lives before we move.

Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to go about this, any tips or ticks that they may have used in the past, and ideas on what we need to hang on to?

any clothes you haven't worn in the past year (unless of course it's a suit or dress or something) should probably go. any items you haven't haven't used should go.

instead of just dumping drawers into boxes and packing all your stuff into boxes, go through it all together and decide if you really need it or not. you should have her present to help go through your stuff and you should be present to go through her stuff. otherwise, you'll both keep all the stuff you think you want/need and you won't get rid of anything.

I recently moved as well. My fiance had a two bedroom apartment and I had a three bedroom house and we decided to consolidate into one house. I think we ended up getting rid of 6 large black trashbags (holds 3-4 full kitchen sized trashbags) full of clothes and took an entire full sized pick-up truck full of usable things to Goodwill. The clothes went to a local church organization that gives clothes out those who need it the most. I decided if it was something I hadn't touched, looked at, or used in the last three years then it was of no use to me.

It was one of the best decisions we made during our move.

I simplify my life about twice a year when I move to and from college. There is so much stuff I toss in the goodwill bins in my residence hall.

However,

The end of April, early May is an incredible time in Ann Arbor. A good number of rich out of state students leave all their stuff behind them without selling it. You'll find 1 year old refridgerators, televisions, dvd players, couches, and lamps just thrown in a pile outside residence halls, all of it up for grabs. I picked up a new office chair, floor lamp, and bigger mini fridge for my apartment next year....all of it no more than 8 months old, and in perfect condition. So as other people simplify their lives, Wolverine gains! :thumbsup:

I've always been told if you don't use it at least once every six months, get rid of it (holiday stuff excluded!)!

I have a six month limit as well. When I declutter, I take 3 containers (bags, boxes, whatever). One is for things I want to keep yet not use. Generally things that have a great deal of sentimental value, like the dress I wore on our first date. These are things that will be packed away. The second container is for things I can give away. It's usually the biggest pile. I try to spread the "wealth", giving to chruches, Goodwill and shelters. The third container is for things that can't be given away or recycled -- trash. I try to make that the smallest pile to reduce cluttering the earth. :) I try to re-cylce in some way or give away as much as I can.

Another idea is to look for living arrangements WITHOUT a lot of closet space (as many consumers are demanding). Having all that closet space (like having dual walk-in closets which are becoming popular) only causes you to think you need to fill them. :D I know, easier said than done.

We recycle as much as possible, even though it costs us more to have it hauled away.

• 2 weeks later...

I avoid shopping as much as I can, and I give to goodwill and the Salvation Army a few times per year. I have pack-rat tendencies, so it is an active exercise to get rid of stuff. But it really feels good once you have. It's like you're allowing yourself to be grow beyond who you were last year or the year before.

Archived