Tom Otterness Exhibit

GRDadof3

For anyone on the Michigan forum looking for a daytrip or photo opportunities, Tom Otterness, renowned Bronze sculpturists, will be displaying 35 of his sculptures around downtown Grand Rapids starting June 1st. Should make for some awesome photo opportunities. They've already installed two of them this week.

PDF map and additional info

148343133_ddeb147bb7.jpg

148348992_3dbb134922.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder where this idea began. Lansing has had something similar for the past few years. The 2002 edition of Lansing's "Sculptures in the Streets" featured 20 bronze states by J. Seward Johnson Jr:

lndognapping.jpg

And then 15 fiberglass decorative cars "Art Wheels" in 2004:

Wish.JPG

Though, it's too gimmicky for me, it definitely does bring people downtown that may not have come down, otherwise, and gets them to look at the city in a new way.

• 2 months later...

I think that the exhibit is a great collection of the diverse nature of what society finds acceptable and desirable as well as many of the social taboos all within short contact of each other. Additionally, the symbolism of the dramatic juxtaposition in these social elements is so subtle that they are almost subliminal.

Or the statures are just neat.

Archived