Sidewalk cafes

Veloise

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love all the new sidewalk cafe seating arrangements, but what's up with the plywood boxes that XO used? Ewww.

Didn't look too closely, but I believe they are wood slats with a bead-board look (vertical channels). Planter boxes (presently vacant) in the tops, a lot like your parasol place further down the street.

(Will have to venture across 28th and shoot what passes for a sidewalk cafe in Cascade Twp)

Didn't look too closely, but I believe they are wood slats with a bead-board look (vertical channels). Planter boxes (presently vacant) in the tops, a lot like your parasol place further down the street.

(Will have to venture across 28th and shoot what passes for a sidewalk cafe in Cascade Twp)

Maybe they need paint or something. They just look unfinished, like old forts we used to build when we were little. That is a great night shot though Veloise!

Would that more eateries would offer them.

There are already a ton of them zen. I think every restaurant downtown has added them now (hmmm, yes pretty much all of them except maybe Sundance Grill, Leo's, Chop House and Louis Benton). I was going to make a list of those that do have outdoor seating, but this list was shorter.

Even GP Sports has jumped on the game, even with an outdoor sound/media system.

148343139_7ea754fc38.jpg

No more rolling bowling balls down Monroe Center. You'll at least knock out a bunch of chairs if you do:

147672910_38980d7e5a_b.jpg

Maybe they need paint or something. They just look unfinished, like old forts we used to build when we were little.

There are already a ton of them zen. I think every restaurant downtown has added them now (hmmm, yes pretty much all of them except maybe Sundance Grill, Leo's, Chop House and Louis Benton). I was going to make a list of those that do have outdoor seating, but this list was shorter.

Even GP Sports has jumped on the game, even with an outdoor sound/media system.

No more rolling bowling balls down Monroe Center. You'll at least knock out a bunch of chairs if you do:

147672910_38980d7e5a_b.jpg

What lens are you using GRDadof3?

What lens are you using GRDadof3?

It's not an SLR. It's the standard 4x zoom, 10x digital zoom lens that came on my Canon A610. If I use the digital zoom without steadying it with something (makeshift tripod if you will), then it turns out a bit blurry. At least, that picture is a lot blurrier than I would like.

It's not an SLR. It's the standard 4x zoom, 10x digital zoom lens that came on my Canon A610. If I use the digital zoom without steadying it with something (makeshift tripod if you will), then it turns out a bit blurry. At least, that picture is a lot blurrier than I would like.

The compression in your image was great (pulling the Pantlind forward). I really liked the effect.

I took this about 15 minutes ago. I was at about a 135 mm zoom, 1/250 sec, f-8.0 ISO 400. I manually focused on the foreground.

I think your maximum optical zoom is about 140 mm.

148888700_31dcef8516.jpg

Click for Large Size Photo

Not when you have your screen resolution at 1600 X 1200! Then they are tiny! :D Bwa-ha-ha-ha

I'm on a higher resolution too and didn't think about how the image might look on other's computers.

I'm really enjoying the quality of photography on UP and enjoy seeing the images at the bigger sizes. Maybe a 600-800 hortzontal limit would be better for everyone.

I'm on a higher resolution too and didn't think about how the image might look on other's computers.

I'm really enjoying the quality of photography on UP and enjoy seeing the images at the bigger sizes. Maybe a 600-800 hortzontal limit would be better for everyone.

Using Photobucket, I sometimes have to return there a couple of times to reduce the image size. Both my desk and laptops are at double-wide comput-R-vision size, but if I have to scroll across to read a caption it's tooooooo wide.

The twilight shot was a quick grab. Heading home from the Ride of Silence and a stop by A Potential Wireless Antenna Rooftop Location, I was admiring the overflowing pansy/snapdragon boxes, then remembered that I meant to shoot XO's new cafe. But a car pulled into the empty space out front! Had to pick another vantage point. I think it was just the automatic setting (Kodak point & shoot digital camera).

From my days of reading American Photographer, pulling your arms against your torso can help provide stabililty for low light. I might have leaned on a lamppost too.

Thanks for compliments on the lighting. I am always amazed at what comes out of that camera, and all it costs is recharging its little battery!

Wow! That's cool civitas. I usually use the manual settings, but I don't remember where I had them set. If I had to guess, I'd say it was ISO 100, f3.2. I just checked again and the digital goes to 16x zoom. But in that shot, I was just about maxed out on the zoom (from what I remember). Looking at mine compared to yours, mine is a little overexposed, especially as you get closer to the sky.

I usually post the 1024 x 768 option from flickr. I can imagine it's probably pretty frustrating to have dial-up.

I run 1280x1024 on my LCD, its the max resolution available.

I also had to suffer with Dial-up almost 5 years after everyone else I knew had it.

Its been 3 years since I got DSL, and I still do some things with a dialup mentality. (like the smaller pics)

Those pictures are VERY inviting... They make me want to take a day off work to just go around and explore downtown... the shops, the resturaunts, the streets..

I should find somebody to do this with. Living way down in Wayland I rarely get to experience downtown, it's mostly just admiring the city from the highway as I roll by on my way to a Lan center on Leonard once every week or so. Although I do often rake Old 131 on the way back.

Those pictures are VERY inviting... They make me want to take a day off work to just go around and explore downtown... the shops, the resturaunts, the streets..

I should find somebody to do this with. Living way down in Wayland I rarely get to experience downtown, it's mostly just admiring the city from the highway as I roll by on my way to a Lan center on Leonard once every week or so. Although I do often rake Old 131 on the way back.

Go by yourself and meet folks. And I don't mean the regulars who you always see at (e.g.) Four Friends (although the two UPS drivers who eat weeknight dinners there, leaving their big brown trucks flasher-parked out front, are lots of fun).

The blues, then country series starts soon (Weds eves at RPC). Great people-watching.

Several of the "cafes" are just a place to sit and eat/drink what you got inside; no table service and no one will complain if you bring a blue chair over to a green umbrella.

You might bring a bike (there, I said it!) and ride around some, check out all the construction sites.

Archived