[Downtown - SouthWest] Photo Tour

SOCOM

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oooh, full frontal on Goodwin Square. Thanks. I do like that building.

Yeah.. Hartford has its gems. I'm a huge fan of the state capitol... and some of the state buildings and older houses in the nearby towns look really nice, too.

55 on the Park was originally built as a 6 story building. 6 more stories were eventually added making it a 12 story building. If you ook closely, you can see the difference in stone color from floors 1-6 and then 6-12.

I love the original Phoenix Insurance Building. It the Tuscan-looking building on Bushnell Park in the second to last photo. Its obscured by trees in this pic, but it is an absolutely beautiful building.

A city needs both hi-rises and lo-rises. I think Tumbull on the Park fits the neighborhood nicely. My problem is that the building itself is plain, I like the oddly angled corners but a florish or two would have beeen nice. The old Phoenix Building is a very nice edifice. The low rise on the cirlce across rom the pump house is also under appreciated. It is very nicely designed.

trumbul on the park is really to short, should be double the height it was built.

You need to be able to justify a demand for going taller. The abundance of huge masses of surface parking in D'town Hartford is a detriment to activity. Smaller, low-rise developments contribute much more to the vibrancy of a city. Brownstones ( somebody else mentioned) would be a great addition to the streetscape and add much more to the landscape. High-rises add nothing if they are not occupied...

I've actually grown to like the height of Trumbull Center. Let's just hope the rumor about Northland building a 30+ story tower on the old YMCA site holds up. That lot demands something in the 300-500' range.

Great pics! I didn't recognize the Civic Center. I have some dumb questions.. is Chuck's Steakhouse still there? I used to see a great blues band there. Also, is the carosel still in Bushnell Park?

Chuck's is gone, there is a Morton's Steakhouse in State House Square now though. There is not any new retail in the civic center yet so we are all waiting eagerly to see what we end up with.

Archived