Dead Malls/Big Boxes In the Triangle?

sax184

Does anybody know where there are "dead" power centers, big box stores, or malls in the Triangle? I'm particularly interested in such places in eastern Wake County. (Knightdale, Zebulon, etc.)

Thanks in advance for any locations spotted- street addresses and google maps links are even better.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Knightdale Crossings just lost Winn-Dixie and they lost their CVS about a year or so ago. Its at the intersection of 64 and Smithfield Road.

There is also an IGA in Wendell that looks like it might be up for sale or something. Its on Wendell Boulevard right before you get into town.

There is also an empty spot in Zebulon where the Winn-Dixie used to be. Not sure what the place is called though.

This strip mall near the intersection of Tryon & Wilmingon in South Raleigh is dead. I have no idea what used to be there or how long ago it died. There is a nearby power center that is still very much alive.

I think there was an auto parts store there once but I always remember the large country music bar that was there. "Silver Dollar Saloon" or something..........

Knightdale Crossings just lost Winn-Dixie and they lost their CVS about a year or so ago. Its at the intersection of 64 and Smithfield Road.

Yeah, that's the first place that comes to mind. I've heard that another develoment to rival Midway Plantation is in consideration down the road. It would be anchored by a Wal-Mart Supercenter. If that's the case, that whole area would be prime for redevelopment.

Well in Durham the old K-Mart plaza on Avondale Drive is on life support...

K-Mart left a few years ago, as well as the 8ish screen movie theater, although it is supposed to be reborn as a Hispanic movie theater I don't believe the plans have actually materialized. Also Winn Dixie closed recently, leaving Big Lots as the only anchor tenant, with 3 (unless the movie theater deal actually has materialized in the past few months) empty anchor spaces.

Also in Hillsborough there was an article this week about Hillsborough Commons, the shopping center that housed the old Wal-Mart and how yet another business is closing down in the plaza....

Another business leaving Hillsborough Commons

The only national tenants I can think of not mentioned in the article is a Byrds era Lowes Foods grocery store as well as Subway. I think there is also a chinese restaurant in addition to Sonny's as well...

The three dead malls in the Triangle: North Hills, South Square and South Hills, have all been revived.

South Square? in Durham? what is there now, i thought they leveled that whole thing and now there is nothing there. or is there?

The three dead malls in the Triangle: North Hills, South Square and South Hills, have all been revived.

I would say that North Hills has by far made the biggest turn around. This has inspired many other projects to come to this location now as well. :yahoo:

This strip mall near the intersection of Tryon & Wilmingon in South Raleigh is dead. I have no idea what used to be there or how long ago it died. There is a nearby power center that is still very much alive.

There used to be a big grocery store called pack and save, and a few other retail stores but pack and save was the anchor tenant.

May favorite thing about Raleigh is the lack of activity on THIS THREAD. Start this thread on the CLT, Triad, Norfolk, or Atlanta boards. There would be far more responses, for sure!

Is this good or bad? Are you saying we are too quiet or are you saying that there are not too many dead big box centers in this area?

I read the topic and can't think of anymore than what has been posted already.

Is this good or bad? Are you saying we are too quiet or are you saying that there are not too many dead big box centers in this area?

I read the topic and can't think of anymore than what has been posted already.

Sorry for being vague! I meant that this thread has very FEW entries in this market!!! When I ride around other cities I see a lot of dead malls, etc.

There just happened to be an article in The News of Orange County out of Hillsborough this week about retail vacancies so I figured I would post it here to provide an overview on the state of retail in Hillsborough.

Town below Triangle average for vacancies

In my opinion Hillsborough needs to allow it's population to grow a little populationwise before it really gets a healthy retail scene, as the town has been stuck in the 5,000-6,000 range for years. Maybe the Waterstone development which will eventually boost the town to around 8,000 by itself will help in that regard.

Speaking of the old South Square, that whole situation kind of makes me mad (if the rumor I heard is true). I remember when most of the stores were leaving. Dillards had NO plans to leave, and I remember store employees were saying that they were staying put. The original plan was to incorporate a Sam's or Target or whatever into the actual mall. Dillards would stay, and eventually it would be sort of a "B" mall (which to be honest, I don't have a big problem with).

The rumor is that the folks who own Streets at Southpoint bought the mall and tore it down to eliminate any possible competition. If this is true, it's stupid, because the two malls would have two TOTALLY different clientele.

The way the Target and all that stuff is laid out now looks skimpy and ODD, being that South Square was a two-story mall and this stuff is all on one level. I feel like it's down in a hole. It's not really attractive to me, and I feel like a little more could have been done with that area.

The rumor is that the folks who own Streets at Southpoint bought the mall and tore it down to eliminate any possible competition. If this is true, it's stupid, because the two malls would have two TOTALLY different clientele.
It's not true. The old and new South Sqaure was developed by Faison.

The way the Target and all that stuff is laid out now looks skimpy and ODD, being that South Square was a two-story mall and this stuff is all on one level. I feel like it's down in a hole. It's not really attractive to me, and I feel like a little more could have been done with that area.

South Square Mall failed to adjust or upgrade with the changing times. They sat back confident in their location and status as the number one mall in Durham. Only when the plans for the Streets were unveiled did South Square try to implement renovations. They practically told Durham that they would undergo millions of dollars in renovations

South Square Mall failed to adjust or upgrade with the changing times. They sat back confident in their location and status as the number one mall in Durham. Only when the plans for the Streets were unveiled did South Square try to implement renovations. They practically told Durham that they would undergo millions of dollars in renovations

Archived