Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GRDadof3

What's Your Speed and Equipment?

What kind of internet access do you use most often?   56 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of internet access/speed do have or use to view UrbanPlanet?

• Dial Up
    • DSL
    • Cable
    • Satellite
    • Wireless
    • Cell phone or Blackberry
    • Other
  2. 2. What kind of computer do you use?

• Mac
    • PC
    • Linux
    • Other
  3. 3. Laptop or Desktop?

• Laptop
    • Desktop
    • Other

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

35 posts in this topic

A triple lindy. I mainly use Cable, PC, new HP Laptop. Let me know if I missed anything obvious. I'm not really a techie (I just play one on TV).

Dell Desktop I got cheap at PC Treasure Chest south side. Go there, you'd be helping poor kids and getting some nice hardware affordably. Wireless connection to PoP cable off of our community network, it's all good.

Custom Built Windows PC with DSL (Its all I get out here, and cables so expensive!)

Although thats only one of my PCs, I also have an old laptop with debian on it.

12" Mac iBook using iServ's DSL. No complaints with iServ...they're home-grown, after all.

For the record, it's "Mac," not "MAC." Unless, of course, you mean Media Access Control.

And, yes, I use a Mac. Doesn't every self-respecting web developer use one these days?

-nb

12" Mac iBook using iServ's DSL. No complaints with iServ...they're home-grown, after all.

I had iServ's Dial-up for a decade, then SBC came in and offered DSL, and now im locked into their contract :sick:

For the record, it's "Mac," not "MAC." Unless, of course, you mean Media Access Control.

And, yes, I use a Mac. Doesn't every self-respecting web developer use one these days?

-nb

I used a Mac for about 3 months. Let's just say I'm very glad to be back on a PC.

toshiba satellite lappy 386, cable internet

I use two different computers, depending on my mood.

- Ubuntu "Breezy Badger" Linux, AMD FX-55 based custom built PC, Time Warner Cable Internet

- IBM X40 Laptop with Windows XP.

HP nx9010 business laptop. 2.8GHz, 512mb ram, XP Pro.. 3 years old.

At work we have SBC DSL and at home i use the free GR Wireless. It isn't very speedy (the GR one) and the signal isn't great, but the price is right. :thumbsup:

Ooooooomg you had to bring up computers.

mmkaye:

Current PC (Built By Myself and a Friend):

Name: XTASY

Design: Designed to be an audio powerhouse for DJing, whilst maintaining an attractive and sleek look to add style to an otherwise bland amateur DJ booth.

Case: XION Ultimate Engineering XON-02 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811208004)

Keyboard: Logitech G-15 (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=2166,CONTENTID=10717 -- lighting looks awesome in the dark)

Mousepad: USB-Powered Mousepad with sides which glow blue

Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 730B 1280x1024 Native, 8ms Refresh Rate

Processor: Intel Pentium 4 (2.4GHz)

1 CD/DVD-ROM

1 CD/DVD-RW

Graphics: ATI Radeon 9600

Sound: (most expensive part of the core computer) Sound Blaster X-FI Platinum

RAM: 2 512MB Chips with heatsinks

Altogether I've dumped about $1300 into her, she started at $800 with just the Computer, the rest was added later with the second cd/dvd drive, speakers, monitor, keyboard.

When the Optimus hits the market later this year ($300 Keyboard -- http://www.artlebedev.org/portfolio/optimus/) It'll jump to $1500 (subtracting the cost of my current $100 keyboard) and I will upgrade the case to a silver design (still glowing blue) to compliment the keyboard. I'm planning to upgrade RAM by the end of the year, and my mouse as well. By the end of the year I'm expecting my PC to have at least a $1700 price tag on it.

I used a Mac for about 3 months. Let's just say I'm very glad to be back on a PC.

Oh, poor GRDad....and I thought you were a smart guy. :D Maybe we shouldn't get the Mac/PC debate started here. I'll just throw in my vote.

Apple Powerbook G4 and iMac G5...depending on where I am. We also have a G4 iBook - yes, half my paycheck goes to Apple..... :blush:

DSL connection.

At work, a huge pipe!

At home: Comcast Cable

On the road: Crack, er Blackberry!

Wow, no dialups yet? BTW: For those who haven't voted yet, this isn't a competition, just info gathering to provide better service. :D This also applies to systems you use at school or work.

At work - :D Well - being an ISP, we have many T3 (45Mbps) connections to the Internet backbone. Use a desktop PC w/ Win2k @ work.

At home - T1 (1.5Mbps), on either my laptop (WinXP), desktop (WinXP) or fileserver (FreeBSD).

At work - HP desktop, something super high speed

At home - dell lap top, dinosaur dial up - need to make the switch over to something superfast, the work connection spoils me

at home: cable, PC, laptop

at work: hit or miss T1, PC, desktop

you can take my cable modem when you pry it from my cold, dead hand ;)

I really want to know what the "other" connection types are?

Are you using Satellite???

Ive got Charter "Pipeline"(cable), and a PC which is an HP laptop

Used to have cable, but that monthly bill was just too high. Im on DSL now, and for the price, its a better value.

As for computers:

I use a Compaq Presario with XP Pro. I also have a Toshibia laptop with Win98 and a old tablet PC from about 1996 that runs Windows 95. The Mrs. has a Gateway that runs Ubuntu Linux. I also have a G3 Mac, I just dont have room to set it up. I may use it as a media server.

I really want to know what the "other" connection types are?

Are you using Satellite???

I have a DSL-speed connection that's actually run via radio towers.

It's the only way to get decent high speed internet outside the town of Wayland. Inside Wayland is a different story..

Cable at home with wireless router so the laptop works anywhere in the house :D

Sprint Air Card in the laptop for those times traveling. It's faster than dial up but slower than DSL. Hope to upgrade to the new version shortly which should pick up the speed. :thumbsup: