Which skyline do you prefer?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Vote

• Jackson
    • Montgomery

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I live in Mississippi and like going to Jackson, however, the skyline leaves a lot to be desired. I think Montgomery's skyline looks cleaner and more modern. Why can't Jackson get a few modern high rises? They had Worldcom, but never got a Tower out of that. Maybe Skytel or Cellular South will build a tower?

Several new towers are about to be built near the Bailey School and there will be a large development near the Medical Center. The former will be 16 story towers and I have no details yet about the latter project. It's too bad that Jackson never got a tower out of WorldCom before its demise. Their negotiations with the city went nowhere and they built a rather commonplace complex in suburban Clinton. As you say, someone should come along soon to build a signature tower for Jackson. Things are finally starting to happen in Jackson's downtown once again.

By the way....welcome to the forum! It's great to see more people from Mississippi posting here. Tell your friends about us!

Several new towers are about to be built near the Bailey School and there will be a large development near the Medical Center. The former will be 16 story towers and I have no details yet about the latter project. It's too bad that Jackson never got a tower out of WorldCom before its demise. Their negotiations with the city went nowhere and they built a rather commonplace complex in suburban Clinton. As you say, someone should come along soon to build a signature tower for Jackson. Things are finally starting to happen in Jackson's downtown once again.

By the way....welcome to the forum! It's great to see more people from Mississippi posting here. Tell your friends about us!

I gotta say, as an observer from outside (however I grew up in Jackson and go back yearly) I don't see much happening downtown. There are only so many people who can commute in from the suburbs and except for Fondren and Bellhaven there isn't much housing near downtown and none actually there. And the taxes and crime in Jackson make it less appealing all the time, it seems like Jackson is dying at the expense of it's neighbors.

Slowly, very slowly, this trend is being reversed. You are correct that there is not yet enough housing downtown. Once the King Edward and Standard Life buildings are completed more people will be living downtown. There are also several projects being built in the Fondren neighborhood. No doubt that Jackson has a lot of catching up to do, but I think it will happen. Sadly, a lot of the big money in Jackson has migrated north to Madison, Flowood and Ridgeland. This tide may be stanched in the next few years as people rediscover downtown. I agree that the crime problem must be addressed. Mr. Melton is attempting to do something about it, but his tactics have come under fire from all quarters. it certainly can't be done overnight, but I think big changes are on the way for Jackson. The most unfortunate thing the people of Jackson could do is give up and flee the city. This has happened for too long now. Give Jackson some time and it will be a healthy city again.

Well, so much for Cellular South building a tower downtown.

http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll...=73244967500260

"Cellular South also is leaving the downtown core to take 60 percent ownership in a seven-story, 185,000-square-foot building. It is scheduled to open by August 2007 and occupy 80,000 square feet.

Two additional office buildings also will be erected. One will be seven stories and provide 180,000 square feet while the other will be eight stories with 250,000 square feet."

As noted in the Madison thread, this is not what downtown Jackson needs right now. I still think the tide will turn in its favor. It will take real leadership to ensure that this happens. I'm not entirely convinced that Frank Melton is the right person for the task. Leland Speed and the Downtown Jackson Partners may be able to do something. It's unfortunate that the people with big $$$ in Jackson don't want to be downtown- at least not yet. I'll still stick my neck out and venture that this will change as soon as a few more projects are developed downtown.

I would give Jackson the nod in overall skyline, because it has more high-rises and more density. Both skylines look much better in person, IMO. I really like the AmSouth Bank Building in Montgomery, it's a very nice looking building, both inside and outside.

Archived