Tanglewood Mall

14gameshows

Say for instance, your company bought out Tanglewood Mall and you were given the keys to the place? They tell you to turn this place from what it is now, to what it used to be back in the day. What would you do to lure shoppers back to Roanoke County? Would you let some stores go, bring some in. Tear the place down? Renovate the place (been renovated how many times since the 70s...LOL). Would you let some leases expire on some stores, move them elsewhere? What are your dreams for Tanglewood???

For me since Tanglewood has an insane amount of anchor stores; JCPenney, Goody's, Belk, Stein-Mart, TJMaxx, ACMoore Arts and Crafts, Steve and Barry's.... I would personally try to shop for stores that Roanoke doesn't have at Valley View. I don't have any names at the moment but I will try to lure that 18-39 crowd that VVM is doing a killing on. TM has too many vacancies for some reason. Can anyone figure this out???

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A lof of why the mall is half-vacant has to do with bad management over the years. It's a great location, and it's not a horrible mall design-wise either. It just needs the right leadership.

I was just there tonight. I went to the new T.J. Maxx (which doesn't have mall access anymore) and JCPenney (which is finally remodeling for the first time since 1983!). Kroger is also remodeling.

At my job, we were talking about this and some of my co-workers said that they should turn Tanglewood Mall into an Outlet Mall. Is this actually possible? Reason asking, you have two big retailers like JCPenney and Belk. I don't think they will do in an "outlet mall" setting. That would make it very awkward. BUT it could work though and attract companies that might not come to Roanoke.

At my job, we were talking about this and some of my co-workers said that they should turn Tanglewood Mall into an Outlet Mall. Is this actually possible? Reason asking, you have two big retailers like JCPenney and Belk. I don't think they will do in an "outlet mall" setting. That would make it very awkward. BUT it could work though and attract companies that might not come to Roanoke.
I love Tanglewood Mall more than most people, but I wouldn't shop at a Tanglewood Outlet Mall. It's a waste of space. Outlet malls are on a downward spiral, and even the best ones are faltering.

Tanglewood needs leadership that understands its neighborhood demographics. It's right next to some of the best neighborhoods in town, but it's not capturing any of the disposable income. It's an incredible missed oppurtunity.

I love Tanglewood Mall more than most people, but I wouldn't shop at a Tanglewood Outlet Mall. It's a waste of space. Outlet malls are on a downward spiral, and even the best ones are faltering.

Tanglewood needs leadership that understands its neighborhood demographics. It's right next to some of the best neighborhoods in town, but it's not capturing any of the disposable income. It's an incredible missed oppurtunity.

It's very ironic to me that, while in most cities, the thriving malls are the ones nearest the most wealthy neighborhoods, the exact opposite is true in Roanoke. I've often wondered if Tanglewood's greatest enemy is space constraints. It's tightly wedged in between railroad tracks, a freeway and a major thoroughfare, as opposed to Valley View's location out in a field. The most successful malls seem to be those that spur adjacent strip and outparcel development- something Tanglewood just can't do.

It's very ironic to me that, while in most cities, the thriving malls are the ones nearest the most wealthy neighborhoods, the exact opposite is true in Roanoke. I've often wondered if Tanglewood's greatest enemy is space constraints. It's tightly wedged in between railroad tracks, a freeway and a major thoroughfare, as opposed to Valley View's location out in a field. The most successful malls seem to be those that spur adjacent strip and outparcel development- something Tanglewood just can't do.
There isn't a lot of space at Tanglewood, but it's definately expandable. They could easily squeeze another 150,000 square feet out of the mall by adding a second story to the one-story portions.

I still think the management's lack of vision is what's holding it back.

I'm just glad they are finally repaving the parking lot there, especially the road around the back section.

I think there is too much wasted space at Tanglewood. Like the front where the tire shop is and the other end where the bank is both seem they like they could be much better utilized. Then moving across Ogden to where Audiotronics, the jewelry store, etc. is that should be turned into something better than a handful of stand-alone buildings. Maybe something like another Grand Pavillion.

I was at the mall today. Soething big is coming to the TJ Maxx end. There are construction barricades over the old mall corridor. I tried to ask around about what's coming, but apparently they've told the other mall employess to keep silent. I couldn't get anything out of them.

What do you know? Looks like Tanglewood is getting a breath of fresh air. Is it me, or is Tanglewood one big mall with a lot of anchor stores. I still can figure out for anything why Tanglewood isn't prospering more than is should be now. They have JCPenney, Belk, Goody's, Stein-Mart, TJMaxx, Steve & Barry's. What's Tanglewood's shopping philosophy? What was it back in the day and through out time and into now? I don't get it. I thought that since Valley View came into the picture, Tanglewood would become somewhat upscale...but there's been a recent shift of attitudes since CBL bought VVM. Even the mall manager informed me that VVM's going "upscale" and technically it is. It's not SouthPark (Charlotte) upscale but for a city of this size and the demos that shop there, it is. You can safely say that VVM is the A mall and Tanglewood is the B mall. Heck, sometimes I want to call it C, D, and F plus a Needs Improvement mall and a citizenship of 3 (you Roanokers know what I mean when you get a 3 in Citizenship back in school). HOPEFULLY!

At one time, Roanokers were able to shop at both malls peacefully but recently, Tanglewood has just died. Even sadder is that Tanglewood is located in a very nice area of Roanoke which I would think would be able to cash in on that...with the demos that live on that side of town. But I take it that people are willing to hop on Electric Rd to 581 and take a 5-10 minute trip (depending on how fast you drive) and go to Valley View.

Granted at Valley View, you have everything you can think of. You have tons of dining facilities, movies, Best Buy, Target, pet stores, Wally-world. I would consider VVM, one of the best marketing facilities going on....except for SouthPark in Charlotte. SP is crazy and would make VVM look like a red-headed stepchild.

It is true, if you build it, they will come!

I spoke with some employees at Stein Mart at Tanglewood today. They said that there is going to be a Staples or Office Max going into the old T.J. Maxx. I almost fell over when I heard this. An office supplies stores in a mall??? If that's not weird, I'm not sure what is.

I really hope the employees had just gotten the wrong information!

I spoke with some employees at Stein Mart at Tanglewood today. They said that there is going to be a Staples or Office Max going into the old T.J. Maxx. I almost fell over when I heard this. An office supplies stores in a mall??? If that's not weird, I'm not sure what is.

I really hope the employees had just gotten the wrong information!

I think it's probably true. It's a little weird, but it's OK.

Isn't Staples down the road from Tanglewood.
Yeah it is, in the old Wnn-Dixie on 419. I can see them wanting to move though. Getting in and out of that place is a pain. They inherited it from Office America (I think) and they're probably near the end of a 15 year lease, if I remember correctly.

Oh well, It's not what I would have wanted, but it's cool. I like Staples.

• 1 month later...

How's Tanglewood coming along? Have they finished the part where they were expanding the 2nd floor?

The last time I was at Tanglewood, I stopped in Payless and asked the young women what exactly was going to go on the second floor expansion near the foodcourt, and she told me it was going to be a Chick-fil-A. I immediately thought they had to be something else going in to occupy such a large space, but she stated that the whole thing would be Chick-Fil-A...call me crazy, but I think that's just dumb.

I've just given up on Tanglewood, it seems like a lost cause anymore...

Steve and Barry's is going to take up part of the current food court so Chick-fil-a and the others are moving into the newly constructed area. The Tobacco shop isn't moving. The owner said they will wait until their lease is up before making a decision on whether to stay or go.

I hope once Staples moves someone bulldozes the current building and puts something a bit more attractive there. Of course I'm not holding my breath for that to happen.

How's Tanglewood coming along? Have they finished the part where they were expanding the 2nd floor?
The second floor expansion is completed, but the stores that are moving across the hall for Steve & Barry's are still under construction.

JCPenney's remodeling is coming along. From what I can tell, they're getting rid of all the large display windows and all the JCPenney signs that hung from the canopies.

JCPenney%20Tanglewood%2010.jpg

The Tobacco shop isn't moving. The owner said they will wait until their lease is up before making a decision on whether to stay or go.

I hope once Staples moves someone bulldozes the current building and puts something a bit more attractive there. Of course I'm not holding my breath for that to happen.

The tobacco shop has a building permit for one of the new spaces, so I think somebody's made a decision ;)

That old Staples is a turkey. Whoevr gets it next is at least going to attempt to landscape the place, but I think it needs a bulldozer, too.

• 4 weeks later...

Tanglewood Mall announced today that a lease has been signed with Staples (as many of us expected). Lee Nails will open by August 1 on the main level near Customer Service, Hair Plus will open on the 2nd level near Belk by September 1, and Chick-fil-A will open next to Hair Plus by October 15. Candy Bouquet will debut at Tanglewood Mall on August 1 on the main level next to Stein Mart.

Archived