Grand Rapids Jewelry Stores

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've had very good luck with LeMaster Hudson (or Hudson Lemaster) located on Plainfield Ave near Northland. They have beautiful stones and some unique designs, plus lots of estate stuff.

Paul Medewar has a nice selection and does wonderful designs. Again, located on Plainfield near 5 Mile.

Andrews Jewelers is a nice place as well.

Does anyone have any good experiences or any recommendations for grand rapids jewelry stores?

I can't say enough good things about Paul Medawar on Plainfield. I went to every chain store in GR and no one had quite what I wanted. Mr. Medawar looked at the picture of what I wanted and made it for less than everyone else quoted me for 'something like it.' It came back perfect. I was recommended by another friend who also had a great experience.

I can't say enough good things about Paul Medawar on Plainfield. I went to every chain store in GR and no one had quite what I wanted. Mr. Medawar looked at the picture of what I wanted and made it for less than everyone else quoted me for 'something like it.' It came back perfect. I was recommended by another friend who also had a great experience.

Isn't he great? I took in a photo of a gold necklace that I was looking for and he MADE it for me! Fabulous!

He has loose stones too - can't go wrong that way. ALWAYS buy loose.

Isn't he great? I took in a photo of a gold necklace that I was looking for and he MADE it for me! Fabulous!

He has loose stones too - can't go wrong that way. ALWAYS buy loose.

The stone I used is an heirloom. I printed a picture off the internet, he made it, and it came back IDENTICAL.

Do you know if that's related to the Medawars in Lansing? I know they are pretty much considered the best, or at least one of the best around here.

Do you know if that's related to the Medawars in Lansing? I know they are pretty much considered the best, or at least one of the best around here.

there's also a medawar on 28th st, I'm guessing they're all related some how just based on the uniqueness of the name (at least to me) and the trade they're in.

Yes, they are related (Brothers). Paul and Pierre. We got our wedding rings from Medawar's in East Lansing. They are top notch, and great guys to work for (from a relative who managed one of their Lansing locations).

Want to put in my $.02 for Preusser downtown. They do custom design work - made my sister in law's eternity diamond wedding band and they repaired/redesigned my grandmother's wedding set to look brand new/old. Super nice, super service.

Yes, they are related (Brothers). Paul and Pierre. We got our wedding rings from Medawar's in East Lansing. They are top notch, and great guys to work for (from a relative who managed one of their Lansing locations).

Funny, one of my family members (my uncle) also managed a Medawars in Lansing a few years back.

Come on people...support downtown!! Seriously, Herkner's is incredible. All of my family gets their jewelry from Herkner's. If they don't have it, they'll make it or find it. Tell them exactly what you're looking for in a stone, give them a little time, and they'll find it. They personally travel internationally to shop for stones.

Their service is great and the store is beautiful.

My wife used to work at Siegel Jewelers (Herkners wasn't hiring :P ) and was very impressed with them as well. She's extremely picky an immediately recognizes quality. Outside of Herkner's she definitely recommends Siegel.

It wasn't an employee, it was the owner. (And he was a bad shot!) He'd recently had an employee held up at knifepoint and determined he wasn't going to let anyone endager his staff again. That's why he bought the gun.

Seriously though, the knife incident, and then the amount of crap he got in the media with the gun incident pretty much put the nail in the coffin as far as him staying downtown. He figured if that was the kind of treatment the owner of one of the oldest family businesses in Grand Rapids, and the longest running downtown business in Grand Rapids was treated by the city then what's the use of staying in the city.

It wasn't an employee, it was the owner. (And he was a bad shot!) He'd recently had an employee held up at knifepoint and determined he wasn't going to let anyone endager his staff again. That's why he bought the gun.

Seriously though, the knife incident, and then the amount of crap he got in the media with the gun incident pretty much put the nail in the coffin as far as him staying downtown. He figured if that was the kind of treatment the owner of one of the oldest family businesses in Grand Rapids, and the longest running downtown business in Grand Rapids was treated by the city then what's the use of staying in the city.

Sorry, no sympathy from me on that one eagle. You can't start opening fire down Monroe Center just because you get robbed. He's lucky that he didn't hit anyone. What if he had tagged me (or one of my kids) while innocently walking the street? They should have thrown him in jail.

Just file an insurance claim, that's what it's for.

Um, Herkners has got to be the most heavily insured business on the planet - I can't believe anyone would excuse the owners' behavior. Some jackhead tries to hold you up in your store? Yeah, let's wait until he's out ON A PUBLIC STREET before opening fire.

No sympathy here either.

I wasn't defending his actions. Just stating some of the facts. And having insurance doesn't mean a robbery doesn't negatively affect your business. He saw his insurance premiums continue to rise with each robbery and his staff's personal safety threatened. It's tough to keep top-notch staff when they don't feel safe and you can no longer afford the insurance. May not have justified shooting into a crowded street but certainly explains his frustration with trying to stay downtown.

And you have to understand how it ended up on the street rather than a confrontation in the store. The owner's office is upstairs. By the time he realized what happened and made his way downstairs the guy had the goods and was out on the street.

Again, not a defense.

And it's still a highly recommended store!!

I wasn't defending his actions. Just stating some of the facts. And having insurance doesn't mean a robbery doesn't negatively affect your business. He saw his insurance premiums continue to rise with each robbery and his staff's personal safety threatened. It's tough to keep top-notch staff when they don't feel safe and you can no longer afford the insurance. May not have justified shooting into a crowded street but certainly explains his frustration with trying to stay downtown.

And you have to understand how it ended up on the street rather than a confrontation in the store. The owner's office is upstairs. By the time he realized what happened and made his way downstairs the guy had the goods and was out on the street.

Again, not a defense.

And it's still a highly recommended store!!

Well let's hope he doesn't get hit by the recent rash of suburban gas station/convenience store robbers then.

If someone robs you I beleive you have every right to fight back, killing them even. Sure he should have kept the gunfire in the store and taken the gun out to a shooting range, but as far as I'm concerned he had the right to shoot him.

They were planning on leaving downtown long before the shooting incident.

The shooting was the conclusion to a "smash and grab" robbery. The insurance company demands and the employees are trained to simply let those happen so no one gets hurt.

Randy is a nice guy, but his anger got the best of him and he had a really stupid response.

I was on the street that morning and was 1/2 block from where it happened. I talked to Randy immediately after the shooting and he looked like he was in shock. He too knew it was a big mistake.

I thought he got off way too easy. I heard that the law suit from the lady whose car was hit has been filed.

Archived