Bon Secours Wellness Arena

distortedlogic

I don't know that these two are direct competitors, as the Bi-Lo Center is not setup to handle all-day or multi-day music festivals as well as Heritage Park is. However, I do think these shows at Heritage Park (which are definitely solid) should make the Bi-Lo Center realize that there is a wide diversity of interests in Greenville. Their musical acts shouldn't just consist of country music and southern gospel. At least the recent Snoop Dogg concert offered something a little different, even though it took cutting down trees to pull it off. :rolleyes:

:dontknow::whistling:http://www.greenvilleonline.com/article/20...24/ENT/90824004

I would welcome ECHL hockey back to town. I think it has been long enough that Greenville can take another opportunity with the league/sport and support them better. As we've all discussed before, the most important ingredient is their management.

HA! Wouldn't it be funny to land another Columbia team? But, 'oh, they never liked them in the first place.' :silly:

I don't think Columbia would change places with Greenville on the Athletic front. Major Colllege sports v "A" Baseball?????

I don't think Columbia would change places with Greenville on the Athletic front. Major Colllege sports v "A" Baseball?????

:lol: Yes, well I can tell you that no one is jealous of Columbia's mediocre sports teams in USC. I'll take the proximity to Clemson and quality minor league entertainment. Ah, the joy of options!

:lol: Yes, well I can tell you that no one is jealous of Columbia's mediocre sports teams in USC. I'll take the proximity to Clemson and quality minor league entertainment. Ah, the joy of options!

I don't know, I get kind of jealous we don't have USC athletics here. USC athletics makes for such good drama to watch. Players always being arrested, etc......wasn't there one arrested this week for some fight at a Vista area club? High drama....all the time....grab your popcorn and watch. :lol::lol:

Not surprising that the old mediocre sports teams argument comes out...is that right off the Carolina bashing website that Clemson fans operate. While this is not a sports discussion, I have not seen much out of Clemson to suggest national relevance. But, that is for the sports page. And, you are right, the joy of options is great. In the actual city limits of Columbia, you have the options of watching major college sports year round, football, baseball, basketball, olympic sports etc.... And, since you bring up the proximity to Clemson, Charlotte is in certainly not more than a little over an hour's drive (about the time it would take to get into Clemson from Greenville on footbal game days) where you can watch the NFL, NBA, PGA Tour, NASCAR.......ah, the joy of options.

I don't know, I get kind of jealous we don't have USC athletics here. USC athletics makes for such good drama to watch. Players always being arrested, etc......wasn't there one arrested this week for some fight at a Vista area club? High drama....all the time....grab your popcorn and watch. :lol::lol:

Is this relevant to the Bi LO Center discussion?? I know, college kids drinking is a novel concept, doesn't happen anywhere else in the country but the Vista & Five Points.

Not surprising that the old mediocre sports teams argument comes out...is that right off the Carolina bashing website that Clemson fans operate. While this is not a sports discussion, I have not seen much out of Clemson to suggest national relevance.

Nice attempt to shift the focus away from Clemson's domination over the University of South Carolina, especially in the last few decades. Since 1980, the Gamecocks are 7-21 against Clemson in football and 12-28 against Clemson in basketball. If you can stomach it, you should read this article from the Columbia Free Times from 2007, "USC's Clemson Problem."

http://www.free-times.com/index.php?cat=12...460412070681546

Now, back on topic. I am glad to see the Bi-Lo Center progressing. Maybe it's just me, but it seems that the quality of the acts they attract have improved recently. Is there new management, or just a new approach to booking performers?

Not surprising that the old mediocre sports teams argument comes out...is that right off the Carolina bashing website that Clemson fans operate. While this is not a sports discussion, I have not seen much out of Clemson to suggest national relevance. But, that is for the sports page. And, you are right, the joy of options is great. In the actual city limits of Columbia, you have the options of watching major college sports year round, football, baseball, basketball, olympic sports etc.... And, since you bring up the proximity to Clemson, Charlotte is in certainly not more than a little over an hour's drive (about the time it would take to get into Clemson from Greenville on footbal game days) where you can watch the NFL, NBA, PGA Tour, NASCAR.......ah, the joy of options.

You have major holes in your arguments, buddy. It takes an extra 15 minutes to get from Greenville to Charlotte than it does from Columbia to Charlotte. So, the options of Charlotte sports are just as readily available to any upstate fans, as well. You know, Columbia may be worse than Charleston about thinking the world revolves around it... or maybe it's just that midland residents actually think people care, as where Charleston residents could care less what others think.

And yes, this has nothing to do with the Bilo Center. Let's move on, now.

As a USC fan I have to agree with this article 100%. It is not that Clemson has had that far of superior talent since 1980, or that USC hasn't had chances. It is a mentality and an attitude that USC has of mediocrity and "just getting by"; or perhaps a mentality that they don't have; the drive to win, play with confidence, and not give up. I am too young to remember the 84 season, but I think the only time I have seen that kind of an attitiude from a USC football team was the second half of the 92 season (after the player revolt of SParky Woods following a 0-5 start, after which they went 5-1 with their only loss being at Florida 13-9), and the 2001 season with Lou Holtz's 9-3 team. Holtz was not able to maintain it however, and Spurrier seems to never had been able to inspire for more than a game or two.

Sorry, had to jump in on this, perhaps a moderator could relocate these to an appropriate thread as I think it is a worthwhile discussion.

Edited by distortedlogic

You have major holes in your arguments, buddy. It takes an extra 15 minutes to get from Greenville to Charlotte than it does from Columbia to Charlotte. So, the options of Charlotte sports are just as readily available to any upstate fans, as well. You know, Columbia may be worse than Charleston about thinking the world revolves around it... or maybe it's just that midland residents actually think people care, as where Charleston residents could care less what others think.

And yes, this has nothing to do with the Bilo Center. Let's move on, now.

I would welcome Greenville residents to Charlotte events if you want to make the drive. And, not to debate travel times but, I drive both 85 & 77 often and Greenville is more than 15 minutes longer. But, after living in SC and now in Charlotte, I actually see the opposite, Greenville more than any other city in SC thinks the world revolves it. I have seen it countless times here with quotes that "we should have the tallest building in SC", "we should have the largest airport", "we have the best downtown", "we should have the best retail stores" and the list goes on. Don't get me wrong, I remember Greenville when the Peace Center was built and it has made huge strides every since then. But, all of the SC cities have great assets. Charleston has a great downtown as does Greenville (including the bi lo Center who will have KISS). Columbia has a major university with a great business school(I know, Clemson fans think Carolina is little more than garbage especially after seeing your comments & Greenville's above) but, regardless of your Carolina opinion, what other large city in the Carolinas has a major university downtown. I would love to have that in Charlotte. Now back to Bi lo.

Nice attempt to shift the focus away from Clemson's domination over the University of South Carolina, especially in the last few decades. Since 1980, the Gamecocks are 7-21 against Clemson in football and 12-28 against Clemson in basketball. If you can stomach it, you should read this article from the Columbia Free Times from 2007, "USC's Clemson Problem."

http://www.free-times.com/index.php?cat=12...460412070681546

Now, back on topic. I am glad to see the Bi-Lo Center progressing. Maybe it's just me, but it seems that the quality of the acts they attract have improved recently. Is there new management, or just a new approach to booking performers?

I am in no way trying to refocus attention. Clemson has had Carolina's number, how can you dispute it. The talent gap is not that great anymore (we were not put on probation twice in the 80's for cheating to get players), it is a mental thing when Carolina plays Clemson and it is frustrating to watch. But, beating Carolina does not in any way make Clemson a relevant player like many of the fans (and Greenville media) like to insinuate. Maybe the free-times or any other media outlet should look back over the past 20 years and count the quality (non Southern Conference) wins, I don't think it would be impressive. Anyway, that is great sports page material.

Columbia has a major university with a great business school(I know, Clemson fans think Carolina is little more than garbage especially after seeing your comments & Greenville's above) but, regardless of your Carolina opinion, what other large city in the Carolinas has a major university downtown. I would love to have that in Charlotte. Now back to Bi lo.

I'm a transplant to Greenville and being a Bama grad and Bama fan, I can tell you, Bama viewed USC as the bottom of the barrel (along with Vandy).....always an easy win. We never really even thought of Clemson since they were not SEC. After living these last several years in South Carolina, I can tell you my opinions of USC have been cemented and I now have a view of Clemson (a positive view). It just seems Clemson tries harder at football.....at most everything really. USC has a beautiful historic campus and a great business school, just wish they had more positive energy.

Roll Tide!!! :P

Let me preface this by saying that I am new to Greenville.

It seems to me that Bi-Lo center is pretty under-utilized (am I stating the obvious?). It's also a shame that it wasn't integrated into the street grid and/or downtown fabric a little more. It seems to sit over there all by itself with nothing much going on around it. I'm also curious about the debt situation. How was the arena financed and who is responsible for paying for it? A quick background story on the Bi-Lo center would be much appreciated. Thanks.

It seems to me that Bi-Lo center is pretty under-utilized (am I stating the obvious?). It's also a shame that it wasn't integrated into the street grid and/or downtown fabric a little more. It seems to sit over there all by itself with nothing much going on around it. I'm also curious about the debt situation. How was the arena financed and who is responsible for paying for it? A quick background story on the Bi-Lo center would be much appreciated. Thanks.

At one time we had minor league hockey, basketball, and arena football. Football is back, although I haven't heard too much about how attendance was this year. I never heard anyone I talked to even mention it actually, so I'm not even sure everyone in town knows they're here.

There has been talk of plans for the vacant lot beside the Bi-Lo Center for a huge mixed-use development but with the economy how it is...well, yeah. Not happening anytime soon. Hopefully in a couple years that can become reality and will connect it to the rest of downtown, bringing more people to that block.

Actually the Bi-Lo Center has had a very active year. It has probably hosted more concerts and major concert than in recent memory. Just announced is KISS, Lynyrd Synyrd and Trans-Siberian Orchestra. I am looking forward to seeing Bruce Springsteen there in a couple of weeks and Taylor Swift and Jamie Foxx have shows there this week. The Bi-Lo Center has had many more concerts this year than other area coliseum's including Columbia, North Charleston and Charlotte. The only venue which has been equal or better is maybe the Greensboro Coliseum. Seems like the VWA has taken all the concerts from from the Hornets arena in Charlotte.

Actually the Bi-Lo Center has had a very active year. It has probably hosted more concerts and major concert than in recent memory. Just announced is KISS, Lynyrd Synyrd and Trans-Siberian Orchestra. I am looking forward to seeing Bruce Springsteen there in a couple of weeks and Taylor Swift and Jamie Foxx have shows there this week. The Bi-Lo Center has had many more concerts this year than other area coliseum's including Columbia, North Charleston and Charlotte. The only venue which has been equal or better is maybe the Greensboro Coliseum. Seems like the VWA has taken all the concerts from from the Hornets arena in Charlotte.

They have brought in a lot and have plenty scheduled, I just wish it was someone I actually wanted to see. I would like to see Bruce Springsteen, but not enough to pay what they want for a ticket. Kiss, Lynyrd Skynyrd...bleh, shove spoons in my ears. The only other I'd maybe go see is Taylor Swift because she actually has talent (even though not a huge country fan) and, well...only if I were on the first few rows so I could get a nice long look at her! :w00t:

I saw Matchbox 20 a few years back (awesome!) and honestly that's just one of the very few bands I ever wanted to see there.

They have brought in a lot and have plenty scheduled, I just wish it was someone I actually wanted to see. I would like to see Bruce Springsteen, but not enough to pay what they want for a ticket. Kiss, Lynyrd Skynyrd...bleh, shove spoons in my ears. The only other I'd maybe go see is Taylor Swift because she actually has talent (even though not a huge country fan) and, well...only if I were on the first few rows so I could get a nice long look at her! :w00t:

I saw Matchbox 20 a few years back (awesome!) and honestly that's just one of the very few bands I ever wanted to see there.

I saw Kiss a few years ago when they called it "Greenfield" at the end of the show - was great stuff. I would never see Matchbox 20 as I'd rather have a knife stuffed in my ears :)

Point being, there are a lot of tastes out there.

I DO NOT think the Bi Lo Center does a good job w/any variety in what they book. Heaven & Hell (Black Sabbath w/Dio on vocals) and Judas Priest were shows that have been out on tour the last year or so. They were not booked, I would believe they would be a large draw for the BiLo Center as any hard rock/metal band seems to do quite well there. Other than the protesters out front (or during ticket sales or whatever).

I think what Greenville REALLY needs is a medium venue, something in between the Handlebar (clubs) and Bi Lo center to draw some different acts to stage. If only I had the money/know how/time :)

I saw Kiss a few years ago when they called it "Greenfield" at the end of the show - was great stuff. I would never see Matchbox 20 as I'd rather have a knife stuffed in my ears :)

Point being, there are a lot of tastes out there.

I think what Greenville REALLY needs is a medium venue, something in between the Handlebar (clubs) and Bi Lo center to draw some different acts to stage. If only I had the money/know how/time :)

Completely understand, just thought I'd let you all know haha! I have no problem with said bands playing there as it's great for Greenville and I know a LOT of people will be there including some of my family and friends, it's just not for me. We need more variety as you said...this is the South, but not everyone here enjoys hard rock or country.

And I agree 100% on a House of Blues type venue! That would be incredible. The bands I enjoy most play the medium sized venues more than anywhere else. (mostly the indie-type, and up-and-coming bands) A place that holds somewhere between 500-1000 would be just about perfect. By the way, The Peace Center is a great place for a concert. I saw my absolute favorite band there in November (The Avett Brothers). I've seen them over 15 times and the Peace Center had the best acoustics of anywhere I've seen them. Matter of fact...best sound of any concert I've seen. Y'all should have seen it...I bet the staff there has never seen a crowd like that there. Everybody in the place was on their feet going nuts for 2 hours straight! I could be a fan of any band in a place like that.

I saw Kiss a few years ago when they called it "Greenfield" at the end of the show

I was at that show, but i was more than a few years ago...it was 9 years ago...Going when they come on Oct 17 too.

I would never see Matchbox 20 as I'd rather have a knife stuffed in my ears :)

i dont think i would have put it so nicely but i can agree.

I was at that show, but i was more than a few years ago...it was 9 years ago...Going when they come on Oct 17 too.

i dont think i would have put it so nicely but i can agree.

Ok ok...i think we all agree that it's all personal opinion with music, but hey...at least the bands I listen to don't dress like clowns!