Bon Secours Wellness Arena

distortedlogic

hey, i never said i had good taste in music but it looks like that may be something we have in common... :thumbsup:

lol, I enjoy all kinds of music. Rock, indie, bluegrass, rap (some), blues, jazz, electronic, country, grunge, reggae, ska...I'm sure there are plenty of bands we would both agree are great. The only radio station I can listen to is WNCW (for the most part), and occasionally 93.3. B93.7 plays awful music 90% of the time. Matchbox 20 is probably the 'poppiest' band I listen to (if you can say that...haven't played their CDs in ages), simply because I've been listening to them since I was like 10 and I'm sure we all have those childhood bands that stick with us forever. Maybe we should start a music thread.

Edited by p2y2r7o

I was at that show, but i was more than a few years ago...it was 9 years ago...Going when they come on Oct 17 too.

i dont think i would have put it so nicely but i can agree.

Has it reallly been 9 years? Wow. I won't be attending the 10/17 show as I have other plans already.

It's funny how times change too, these days I think most of the bands I go to play at the club level rather than the bigger places. Not to say that if certain tours/bands came through I would not go, but having already seen Kiss many times (including at the Greenville Memorial Auditorium and not the show where the guy fell and died) I felt the other plans took priority.

• 1 month later...

Laughing with someone on the phone just now about this......hadn't really thought much about it until now.....

Will this now be called Bloom Center? Food Lion Center? I'm sure neither....I certainly hope neither.

If and when the Bi-Lo deal is done, anyone care to venture on what will happen to naming rights at Bi-Lo Center? I'd love to see one of the larger international corporations here take up the naming rights. Michelin Arena, Michelin Center, etc.....

Laughing with someone on the phone just now about this......hadn't really thought much about it until now.....

Will this now be called Bloom Center? Food Lion Center? I'm sure neither....I certainly hope neither.

If and when the Bi-Lo deal is done, anyone care to venture on what will happen to naming rights at Bi-Lo Center? I'd love to see one of the larger international corporations here take up the naming rights. Michelin Arena, Michelin Center, etc.....

I had not thought about this! :lol:

I prefer Bloom Center over Food Lion Center, if I had to choose between the two. I agree that BMW or Michelin would be even an even better sponsor and name.

• 3 months later...

The Bi-Lo Center has gone in and replanted trees in the parking lot where they were cut down for the Crawfish Boil.

Excellent news! The fact that it happened still amazes me....cut down mature trees so a bunch of rednecks can see the stage at a crawfish boil....it's like something straight out of some spoof movie like Greater Tuna or Sordid Lives. Did the Bi-Lo Center manager ever get fired over this?

• 2 weeks later...

This is good to hear but I remain skeptical. Hopefully the organization will tkae some tips from the Drive, but I am not sure that a new hockey team will do any better (attendance wise) than the Grrrowl did just a few years ago. They were down to just 2-3k fans a game too were they not? I remember in the late 90s going to games with over 12k fans! The drive had good marketing, but also a relocated and new stadium to help itself take-off. This team would have to rely on pure marketing to make this work. Don't get me wrong, I am glad they are trying again, and I would like to go to some games, but the price will have to be right. It will be interesting to see how it compares with the new football team as well.

Congratulations to Greenville, indeed!

If they do try to follow the G-Drive Business Model, then maybe they'll stand half a chance. The demographics in Greenville really have not changed all that much since the Grrrowl folded, at least not that I could see.

If they charge anything like what SC's other ECHL Team (the Stingrays) charge, then they'll be too expensive. Current Stingray single-game ticket prices:

Advance Purchase Game Day Purchase

Riser $20.00 $21.00

Lower Level $17.00 $18.00

Upper Level $14.00 $15.00

I would imagine the new Greenville team will be in line with this.

Well, the Grrrowl folded in 2006, right? Unfortunately, that was right as the Carolina Hurricanes won the Stanley Cup. I think the Hurricanes winning the Cup in '06 really got more people in the Carolinas interested in hockey. Also, a recent announcement is that the Carolina Hurricanes are moving their AHL affiliate to Charlotte next year (WBTV Charlotte link). These several factors, I believe, will result in stronger attendence for hockey in Greenville this time around.

(Also, the Greenville Grrrowl Wikipedia article says the new team will be a Hurricanes affiliate, but there are no sources to back that up, so take that info with a grain of salt.)

I've got high hopes for this team. WYFF did a story on the deal at 5:00....sounds much better than the previous Grrowl deal. The new team is signing a 5 year lease. Apparently, written in the lease, will be a clause allowing for flexibility in case some large show (example: Cher) wants to use Bi-Lo on the same date as a game (Grrowl / Bi-Lo did not have this). This new team is apparently looking at ticket pricing and marketing much more inline with The Drive. This new team will not be under the crush of Bi-Lo debt that the Grrowl was under. And....if I heard correctly, the team's owner is moving to Upstate. All in all, sounds like a winning plan.

Chiefs was a great name for Johnstown because the classic hockey movie Slap Shot was filmed there and the team in the film was The Chiefs. Since that doesn't have anything to do with Greenville, a name change probably is in order.

How about the Greenville Goons? That'll surely attract some fans!

If really going to be a farm team for the Hurricanes how about sticking with something weather related

Greenville Storm

Greenville Tornadoes

(Yes those are horrible but c'mon Chiefs is not that great in my opinion and neither was Growwl)

If really going to be a farm team for the Hurricanes how about sticking with something weather related

Greenville Storm

Greenville Tornadoes

(Yes those are horrible but c'mon Chiefs is not that great in my opinion and neither was Growwl)

Yeah, it should be something other than Chiefs but I'd rather see that stick with them than anything similar to Growwl...because that's the worst name in the history of sports teams.

Chiefs was a great name for Johnstown because the classic hockey movie Slap Shot was filmed there and the team in the film was The Chiefs. Since that doesn't have anything to do with Greenville, a name change probably is in order.

How about the Greenville Goons? That'll surely attract some fans!

Now Greenville Goons, I could see that haha! I'd love to have a Goons t-shirt.