Bon Secours Wellness Arena

distortedlogic

Agreed!

One thing I do not like is they are going to curtain off and/or cover the seats in the upper level reducing seating to only 7,000 in the lower bowl. I personally like sitting in the upper bowl for a hockey game. I know that the first couple of years the Grrowl averaged about 9,000 per game so I guess expectations are not too high.

I tried the upper bowl a few times initially, thinking it would provide the best vantage point to view the entire rink. Later I discovered that sitting near the ice (not directly next to it) provided a MUCH more exciting experience than the upper bowl seating. Being near the action allows you to feel the high-level energy and appreciate the physical nature of the game so much more than a remote seat is able to. I like the plan to close the upper bowl for home games. It will help to concentrate the crowd density, intensify the experience, and allow for expansion as needed when enough tickets are sold.

Glad to see the ticket prices are lower than the Grrrowl's were. :) Wish they were more in line with the Drive though. Hopefully everybody on here suggest they use the name Greenville Highlanders for the new team name. The more people who vote for that name, the better chances we have of it getting chosen.

While it is not a bad name, I'm not sure "Highlanders" would be the best name for an ice hockey team in Greenville. We can be more creative than that, surely.

Regarding the ticket prices, hockey is always generally more expensive than baseball and the Drive prices are ridiculously low even for baseball. I think the proposed prices are within reason, considering the venue and entertainment level.

Hopefully everybody on here suggest they use the name Greenville Highlanders for the new team name. The more people who vote for that name, the better chances we have of it getting chosen.

Chances are that name will likely not be used.

When selecting a name, it needs to be marketable and fit in with the region. Your options will be limited to people, occupations, or animals.

A list of selected names with reasoning:

Cougars: The large cat genre is common throughout the region. Charlotte Bobcats, Carolina Panthers, Clemson Tigers, Western Carolina Catamounts, Pee Dee Pride

Loggerheads: The loggerhead turtle is the state reptile. Acceptable variation is the Terapins.

Dragons: Furman's medieval fantasial mascot the paladin challenges me to thik of mystical beasts. How popular would a dragon be, especially if they are green and bring much fighting characteristics we admire? (Yours truly is an actual dragon.)

Oh, I definitely agree we could do better than the Highlanders. I just like that name because it fits in with the rich scottish heritage of the area and it's something different. Something like the Greenville Slash, Copperheads, or Thunder would also be cool in my opinion. smile.gif

Edited by citylife

If we're the Cougars, maybe our mascot can be a single woman in her 40s wearing Juicy Couture clothes (purchased at the Juicy Couture outlet store in Gaffney, of course). :lol:

Ummmmm......you forgot one description.....the location of the Juicy logo on her clothing. With cougars, it is ALWAYS on the rear end.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

2009 was arguably the best year for concerts ever at the Bi-Lo Center. 2010 is shaping up as the worst of all-time. After the Nickelback concert on 4-16 there has not been a major concert and currently there are no concerts scheduled. Columbia and Charleston are pretty much in the same boat but Charlotte is much better.

After seeing what the interior of the arena looked like a few weeks, I can see why no concerts would want to come there. :sick: You could compare the interior of the Bi-Lo (the name really does fit) Center to the exterior of Haywood Mall.

After seeing what the interior of the arena looked like a few weeks, I can see why no concerts would want to come there. :sick: You could compare the interior of the Bi-Lo (the name really does fit) Center to the exterior of Haywood Mall.

I would have to agree with your assesment. The interior of the Bi-Lo center has been in decline for years now. They are definately not spending what they need to on maintenance/upkeep but then again, I am assuming that there just has not been enough money for everything and interior maintenance is one of the first corners that get cut. It is rather offputing to go and find the place feeling kind of "dumpy" on the inside. I will try my best to look past this and support them (especially with Hockey comming this fall) but I am also hoping that they spruce the joint up a bit as well.

I would have to agree with your assesment. The interior of the Bi-Lo center has been in decline for years now. They are definately not spending what they need to on maintenance/upkeep but then again, I am assuming that there just has not been enough money for everything and interior maintenance is one of the first corners that get cut. It is rather offputing to go and find the place feeling kind of "dumpy" on the inside. I will try my best to look past this and support them (especially with Hockey comming this fall) but I am also hoping that they spruce the joint up a bit as well.

I have been there several times in the last year and really didn't notice anything really bad. Could you guys supply some specifics?

I have been there several times in the last year and really didn't notice anything really bad. Could you guys supply some specifics?

Seat, row, & section numbers wearing off, wax or whatever that is coming off the concourse floor especially near the main entrance, two corner scoreboards behind sections 106 and 110 broken, half of the cup holders having advertisement stickers while the other ones don't, etc. Why did they update one end of the lower level of the Bi-Lo Center with all of those back-lit advertisements but not the other side? :dontknow: Looks horrible like that. Those puke colored seats have got to go too. :sick:

-Most of the items I listed could be fixed very easily. The Bi-Lo Center just seems like they don't really care or are just too lazy to fix it. Is it really that difficult to go through and replace the seat, row, and section numbers that have worn off? :dunno:

Edited by citylife

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not going to complain about the name/logo too much but I will say this. If it was up to me, I would have chosen something like the Greenville Copperheads or Highlanders instead. We're already paying heritage to the automotive industry with the Drive. I don't think we need to do it with the new hockey team also but that's just my opinion. I like the team colors but not exactly sure why there is a Gladiator/Ghengis Khan figure there. :dontknow: Reminds me of the Gwinnett Gladiators logo.

Official press release: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/road-warriors-ride-into-town-97197974.html :sick: Oh and the website looks horrible in my opinion:

011-29.jpg

Edited by citylife

Mad Max!!!!!

They did say the nickname pays tribute to the auto industry, I too think the Drive have already done that and we really didn't need another. The term road warriors is widely used and simply refers to a team that has or will play a lot of games on the road. In that sense I don't get the auto tribute part. Maybe it's really a tribute to the road paving industry?

Personally, to speak quite candidly, I think this name sucks. The epitome of minor league name suck. I hate negativity, but I'm sorry.. there is SO much more to our city and region than the automotive industry! We have a vibrant culture and diverse population, a storied and historical past and we stake a huge claim in the makings of the New South! What about Advertising, and the thousands of entrepreneurs that call Greenville home? Food and Agriculture? Cullinary Arts? Music and Theater? What about the landscape - Blue Ridge Mountains, Reedy River, Falls Park? What about Richard Pearis, Nathanial Greene, Joel Poinsett or the Cherokee that once roamed these hills? There were endless possibilities... The Highlanders, The Cheiftans, The Greene Men - even corny minor league names like the RiverRiders or Hilltoppers would have been better than ROAD WARRIORS. We are more than bikers, car manufacturers and NASCAR fans! If we're the Road Warriors, are we going to be the Home Warriors when we play at the Bilo Center? I just don't get it... but alas, I guess we'll all have to grin and bare it and be thankful that hockey is once again in Greenville.

I am disappointed that Road Warriors was chosen as the winning team name. It is an improvement over the Grrrowl, but that isn't saying much. <_<

It's too bad that the many intelligent, creative minds we have in Greenville weren't utilized in this process. If they were, Road Warriors would not have come out on top.

On a positive note, I do like the fact that they named the team Greenville instead of Carolina or South Carolina. Incorporating blue and white pays tribute to our state flag, which is cool. Finally, the fact that the team name ends with an 's' is nice. I'm tired of team names like Magic, Heat, Force, etc.

Edited by Greenville