Bon Secours Wellness Arena

distortedlogic

I am disappointed that Road Warriors was chosen as the winning team name. It is an improvement over the Grrrowl, but that isn't saying much. dry.gif

It's too bad that the many intelligent, creative minds we have in Greenville weren't utilized in this process. If they were, Road Warriors would not have come out on top.

On a positive note, I do like the fact that they named the team Greenville instead of Carolina or South Carolina. Incorporating blue and white pays tribute to our state flag, which is cool. Finally, the fact that the team name ends with an 's' is nice. I'm tired of team names like Magic, Heat, Force, etc.

The committee should have selected the top ten names they liked best than had the fans vote for the winner on their website. Notice these new teams that come to Greenville never let the fans decide the name. Why is that when we're the ones buying the tickets, merchandise, etc. to help keep them afloat?

Edited by citylife

I like the logo more than the name. Is it cynical of me to think that the decision was made with an eye to getting sponsorship money from Michelin, BMW and such?

Not at all, much like BMW has the signs at Fluor Field? It has been "Go drive." for a while, I think it's different this season.

I'm not going to complain about the name/logo too much but I will say this. If it was up to me, I would have chosen something like the Greenville Copperheads or Highlanders instead. We're already paying heritage to the automotive industry with the Drive. I don't think we need to do it with the new hockey team also but that's just my opinion. I like the team colors but not exactly sure why there is a Gladiator/Ghengis Khan figure there. :dontknow: Reminds me of the Gwinnett Gladiators logo.

Official press release: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/road-warriors-ride-into-town-97197974.html :sick: Oh and the website looks horrible in my opinion:

011-29.jpg

Yawn.....

Not much creativity in the name or the logo....

This name and logo will probably go over well with the type of people who think cutting down trees for a concert at Bi-Lo is OK.

The logo probably doesn't appeal much to some of the more pampered urbanites in this area, but it is perfect for the intensely competitive sport called ice hockey.

For what it's worth, I hate the idea of cutting trees down for a concert stage, yet I love this logo. Not sure how those two are related though.

Yawn.....

Not much creativity in the name or the logo....

This name and logo will probably go over well with the type of people who think cutting down trees for a concert at Bi-Lo is OK.

You've got it all wrong. It's not a tree clear cutting company. It's the new name/logo of Ashmore Bros. Paving Company. :P The guy in the logo even has his hard hat on.

Edited by citylife

Road Warriors, huh? OK... yeah... that can be kinda cool!

Looking at this positively - it COULD HAVE BEEN A LOT WORSE! (Sorry for the caps.)

Considering that no one got to vote on the name, here are the positives:

1) Finally, we get a team with a semi-intimidating name; (Let's forget Rhinos while I'm on a roll, ok?)

2) The name is plural to signify a TEAM, rather than a trendy verb like The Dr... ah you know...;

3) It will instantly be shortened to "Warriors" by actual sports fans who go to games and plunk down cash for merch.

I am just thrilled it's not the Greenville Bibendum -- or worse -- The Bimmers! (NO, these are NOT suggestions. Do NOT USE THEM... uh oh....) :P

Pampered urbanite here. :hi:

:alc:

Road Warriors, huh? OK... yeah... that can be kinda cool!

Looking at this positively - it COULD HAVE BEEN A LOT WORSE! (Sorry for the caps.)

Considering that no one got to vote on the name, here are the positives:

1) Finally, we get a team with a semi-intimidating name; (Let's forget Rhinos while I'm on a roll, ok?)

2) The name is plural to signify a TEAM, rather than a trendy verb like The Dr... ah you know...;

3) It will instantly be shortened to "Warriors" by actual sports fans who go to games and plunk down cash for merch.

I am just thrilled it's not the Greenville Bibendum -- or worse -- The Bimmers! (NO, these are NOT suggestions. Do NOT USE THEM... uh oh....) :P

You make good points.....though Bibendum would be a fun mascot! :lol:

I was expecting a little more out of this team. Their website is pretty poor.

Well then; with the name Road Warriors in place, all that is left now is to start a campaign to rename the Bi-Lo Center to "Thunder Dome."

Get Tina Turner in to do the National Anthem, and have Mel Gibson throw out the first slur puck, and... Oh, goodness, we could just go all day with this one! :P

Looking forward to HOCKEY!

• 1 year later...

Does anyone know if the Bilo Center has plans to fix their digital sign. Its been broken for years. I know there tight on money, but seems like they should be able to afford maintenance on their current equipment.

They probably have plans to use the money to cut down more trees for their next outdoor concert.........

Does anyone know if the Bilo Center has plans to fix their digital sign. Its been broken for years. I know there tight on money, but seems like they should be able to afford maintenance on their current equipment.

The Bi-Lo Center fixing something? Please tell me this is an early April Fools joke. They can't even change a burnt out lightbulb let alone fix an entire digital sign.

They probably have plans to use the money to cut down more trees for their next outdoor concert.........

They have an outdoor beer festival coming up in april. What are they thinking? Lots of people can't drink responsibly. Sounds like trouble to me!

Edited by apaladin

• 5 months later...

The Bi-Lo Center has approved a five year, $14.5 million capital improvement project which is slated to include new flooring, roof, enclosed box office, concessions, high tech jumbotron, scrolling message/scoreboard, signage, basketball court, hockey glass, and stage decks. Recoating of the cooling tower and renovations to the suites/club lounge are also included: http://www.wyff4.com/Renovations-planned-for-BI-LO-Center/-/9324882/16416274/-/csa8ws/-/index.html Arena officials are currently in negotiations with the city and county for help with funding.

Last year the arena installed a new information technology server, hot water heater, emergency strand lighting, and upgraded the lighting control software.

Edited by citylife

The Bi-Lo Center has approved a five year, $14.5 million capital improvement project which is slated to include new flooring, roof, enclosed box office, concessions, high tech jumbotron, scrolling message/scoreboard, signage, basketball court, hockey glass, and stage decks. Recoating of the cooling tower and renovations to the suites/club lounge are also included: http://www.wyff4.com...ws/-/index.html Arena officials are currently in negotiations with the city and county for help with funding.

Last year the arena installed a new information technology server, hot water heater, emergency strand lighting, and upgraded the lighting control software.

Heres hoping a new facade can be included.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...