Bon Secours Wellness Arena

distortedlogic

• 2 months later...

The Bi-Lo Center is planning $14.5 million in improvements over the next three years, the facility’s president, Roger Newton, said in a recent interview. That’s a significant financial investment in an arena that cost $63 million to build. At 15 years old, the Bi-Lo Center (which also may soon get a new name given Bi-Lo’s decision not to renew a naming rights agreement) is due to be refreshed.

In the world of sports arenas, 15-year-old technology for things such as scoreboards and video displays is ancient. And the center lacks a ribbon board, one piece of equipment that’s standard in every modern sports facility. A ribbon board is a narrow video board strip that encircles the bowl of an arena or stadium, and it is an essential vehicle for displaying sponsors’ messages as well as encouraging fans to be more involved in the game.

So among the items that will be new this fall are a high-definition center-hung scoreboard to replace the old one that has outlived is usefulness, especially for showing replays and other videos; a ribbon board that circles the arena bowl; 40 new digital screens in the concourse; and renovations to the facility’s 30 suites.

The money is coming from excess hospitality tax revenue and a contribution from the Bi-Lo Center, Newton said. The improvements mark the first real changes — except for the club renovation last year — since the arena opened in 1998.

Perhaps they should also look at booking better attractions. The Charter Amphitheatre in Simpsonville has the Black Keys, Kiss, and Mumford coming.

Bi-Lo has Sesame Street.  (Not a slam against Sesame Street. Cookie Monster rocks.)

Bilo Center has had some great shows in the last coupel of years but is certainly in a dry spell. I have heard Elton John and Keith Urban are upcoming possibilities. What's a Mumford??

Perhaps they should also look at booking better attractions. The Charter Amphitheatre in Simpsonville has the Black Keys, Kiss, and Mumford coming.

Bi-Lo has Sesame Street.  (Not a slam against Sesame Street. Cookie Monster rocks.)

Bi-Lo Center has not been managed well for awhile. To lose a major act like Mumford and Sons to a suburban amphitheater.....someone needs to take a closer look at what is going on in Bi-Lo Center. Maybe the manager is too busy with his chain saw getting ready for the next redneck event? LOL.

Bi-Lo Center has not been managed well for awhile. To lose a major act like Mumford and Sons to a suburban amphitheater.....someone needs to take a closer look at what is going on in Bi-Lo Center. Maybe the manager is too busy with his chain saw getting ready for the next redneck event? LOL.

Oh lawd. Funny thing is that both are operated by the same company. Mumford and Sons tends to play amphitheaters. 

• Like 1

Oh lawd. Funny thing is that both are operated by the same company. Mumford and Sons tends to play amphitheaters. 

Was getting ready to post the same comment. Come on, Metro and Whistle, do your homework. I don't think Mumford and Sons performs at any indoor facilities. 

Was getting ready to post the same comment. Come on, Metro and Whistle, do your homework. I don't think Mumford and Sons performs at any indoor facilities. 

I was about to say the same thing. I have never went to the Bi-lo center but I've been to the amphitheater twice and have two more shows planned. Not sure why the Bilo center is not that attractive of a venue.

Just off the top of my head but in the last 4 years or so the following acts have played the Bilo Center: Bruce Springsteen, Taylor Swift, The Eagles, George Strait, Keith Urban, Lady Antebellum, Jason Aldean, Nickleback, Justin Bieber, Kid Rock, Carrie Underwood and many more. Just pointing out that they do have their good times. The summertime is amphitheatre time as evidenced by the number of concerts scheduled the rest of the summer in area cities:

Arena Concerts: Atlanta 2        Amphitheatre Concerts: Atlanta  15

Charlotte 3                                           Charlotte 19

Columbia 1                                            NA

Greensboro  1                                       NA

Greenville  1                                         Greenville  3

Serious question, is Mumford and Son really a major concert? I guess I am showing my age but I have never heard of them. What kind of music?

Just off the top of my head but in the last 4 years or so the following acts have played the Bilo Center: Bruce Springsteen, Taylor Swift, The Eagles, George Strait, Keith Urban, Lady Antebellum, Jason Aldean, Nickleback, Justin Bieber, Kid Rock, Carrie Underwood and many more. Just pointing out that they do have their good times. The summertime is amphitheatre time as evidenced by the number of concerts scheduled the rest of the summer in area cities:

Serious question, is Mumford and Son really a major concert? I guess I am showing my age but I have never heard of them. What kind of music?

Yes. I am 55 and know this is a major concert. I love their music, as does the younger generation. I guess my taste in good music runs wild, from classical Italian to rock to church praise music to oldies to, should I say it? Disco. There, I said it. I love all music. I have a Life is Good shirt that says it all. "Music takes you back. Music takes you forward. Let the music move you." I have another one that says, "I hear color. I see sound. I feel music." Good stuff. Music brings souls together. It's a beautiful thing. 

They are a folk band.  They won the Grammy for Album of the Year, last year.

• 3 weeks later...

A hospital? For naming rights? Seriously?

Greenville Health System Center? Bon Secours Center?

Yep...seriously. A MOU has been signed for it apparently. Wouldn't mind something with "St. Francis" in it honestly as they do have national name recognition. Much more so than Bi-Lo.

Edited by gman430

St. Luke's? (Medical supplier)

Palmetto Health Baptist Easley? (puke)

Imagine the confusion that could occur when a major regional entertainment venue has been named after a hospital.

Well, a baby did get delivered there once. **runs and hides**

• Like 1

From Mike Riordan, president and CEO of Greenville Health System:

“Whereas we see the enormous marketing power of the Bi-Lo Center and the huge economic impact on the region, we do not see a clear connection to naming the facility and the GHS mission -- to heal compassionately, teach innovatively and improve constantly. We do desire a strong relationship with the center as well as current and future sports teams. Physical activity promotes our commitment to wellness. Rather than naming rights, we are wide open to partnering in a substantial way to promote Total Health via screenings and other health-related activities and want to position our resources to help the community."

So it's not them then I guess.

St. Luke's? (Medical supplier)

Palmetto Health Baptist Easley? (puke)

Imagine the confusion that could occur when a major regional entertainment venue has been named after a hospital.

While I admit Baptist Easley Hospital would be a bad fit, it's a really great hospital. It's won a ton of awards in the last few years and consistently performs better than GHS and St. Francis.